Can I Make Genesis LIbrary Folder?

Kesha2009Kesha2009 Posts: 108
edited June 2012 in The Commons

Hey Everyone
Win 7 64 bit -- DS4Pro .47
Have questions on making a Genesis Folder
I would like to have a Genesis Folder made separate like I have for the GEN 3 and GEN 4 stuff
But I'm not sure on how to do this-and really don't want to mess Genesis stuff up by doing it.
1. Can I make a separate Genesis Library Folder?
2. Do I need to put genesis.dsf in this folder in order for it to work?
3. If I put the genesis.dsf in this folder do I need to REMOVE it from the daz3d/studio/my library folder for this to work?
4. Can I move all of Genesis items that was installed with DS4Pro to the new folder?
5.Can I also install ALL of genesis's morphs etc to the new folder?
6.. Is genesis integrated in DS4P That it is NOT advisable to make a genesis folder?
I know this isn't all the questions that will come up on this but these are the only ones I can remember to ask atm *really need to keep a notepad handy to write these questions down as I think on it*
neways- IF anyone knows how to do this-Please advise me how to do a simple step by step on how to do it.
Thanks to all for any help

Post edited by Kesha2009 on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kesha2009 said:
    Hey Everyone
    Win 7 64 bit -- DS4Pro .47
    Have questions on making a Genesis Folder
    I would like to have a Genesis Folder made separate like I have for the GEN 3 and GEN 4 stuff
    But I'm not sure on how to do this-and really don't want to mess Genesis stuff up by doing it.
    1. Can I make a separate Genesis Library Folder?
    2. Do I need to put genesis.dsf in this folder in order for it to work?
    3. If I put the genesis.dsf in this folder do I need to REMOVE it from the daz3d/studio/my library folder for this to work?
    4. Can I move all of Genesis items that was installed with DS4Pro to the new folder?
    5.Can I also install ALL of genesis's morphs etc to the new folder?
    6.. Is genesis integrated in DS4P That it is NOT advisable to make a genesis folder?
    I know this isn't all the questions that will come up on this but these are the only ones I can remember to ask atm *really need to keep a notepad handy to write these questions down as I think on it*
    neways- IF anyone knows how to do this-Please advise me how to do a simple step by step on how to do it.
    Thanks to all for any help

There are a couple of ways you can do this. The safest way is to use Categories. I have separate categories for Genesis, Gen 4, Gen 3, Gen 2, Animals and Monsters, Hair, Props, Places, and so on. With Categories you can even have the same item appear in more than one category. And you can't break anything by moving it to the wrong place.

If you want to have actual separate content folders on your hard disk, you can. "My Library" is only a default location -- it doesn't have to be called that, and you don't have to keep everything in the same content folder. It's best if you keep the Genesis content folder as the first "DAZ Studio format" content folder, because you have to install Genesis morphs to the folder containing the Data subfolder, and you're safer not trying to divvy that up.

• Kesha2009Kesha2009 Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

ok thks-
    already use the categories was wanting different folder for hard drive-but guess I will just install all of Genesis's stuff in the ds4P program just to be safe *really don't want to mess that up* -was just worried bout it getting to full for the program to read all the stuff.*remember reading somewhere where Ds4 has problems reading the stuff when it gets to 1000? items in the old forums.*

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Kesha2009 said:
    ok thks-
    already use the categories was wanting different folder for hard drive-but guess I will just install all of Genesis's stuff in the ds4P program just to be safe *really don't want to mess that up* -was just worried bout it getting to full for the program to read all the stuff.*remember reading somewhere where Ds4 has problems reading the stuff when it gets to 1000? items in the old forums.*

I'm well past 1000 items in a single folder, probably several times over, and DS4 doesn't have an issue with it (neither did DS2 or 3). I've worked with file systems that had a performance hit once they got past 1000 or so items, but that wasn't Windows (VMS). My library is also completely separate from my Studio installation. As fixmypcmike said, the only things to bear in mind are 1) Genesis needs to be in the same folder as data (dig down into data and you'll find that all the Genesis morphs are there rather than anywhere else) and 2) the data folder needs to be in the first library that Studio lists. Other than those provisos you can move stuff around with ease.

edited June 2012

Ok thks -so basically other then genesis's morphs all her clothes like supersuit etc can be in another folder then hers? and thanks for confirming bout the 1000 items issue that had me worried for I am definitely building quite a content collection :D
    and basically I can have a genesis folder separate from the program as long as I point the program to the folder as the first folder*that includes the data folder within the genesis folder*?
    sorry if I am slow on getting this in my head-just really want to make sure I won't be messing my stuff up. I am a dolt neways on slow on getting things in my head. :D

Post edited by Kesha2009 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Yes, that's right, clothing can be in a different content folder, although the Supersuit SciFi Bundle includes an alien morph for Genesis, so you may want to install that to the Genesis folder.

The 1000 item limit in a category was way back in the early DS2 days.

edited December 1969

K thks so much for all ya'll helping and answering the questions
    very much appreciated