Dynamic Cloth Engine

XfitzXfitz Posts: 96
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Can someone point me to source information regarding Daz's Dynamic Cloth Engine? I am wondering if this is something that other Daz Artists use. If so, how should I proceed? Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674
    edited February 2013

If you are looking for something similar to poser cloth sim engine, as far as I know daz studio doesn't have one. They have
    http://www.daz3d.com/dynamic-clothing-control
    But if I understand correctly, it only works with clothes made specifically for the plugin.
    I am no studio expert by any stretch of the imagination, this is just what I have gathered reading forum

Post edited by TheKD on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Pretty much what KD said. The only built in support is for 'Dynamic clothing' created largely by Optifex. They have a few freebies on their site to get you started. It's not quite as easy to work with as Poser's cloth room sadly, as outfits cannot be scaled or otherwise manipulated other than fitting it to the character it belongs to. This means that body shapes which fall outside of those defaults can't wear the outfits without a lot of fiddling around.

It does work pretty well within its limited scope though, so feel free to check out their site and see for yourself what they have on offer.

• XfitzXfitz Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

Thanks. i will check out Optifex ane the Dynamic Clothing Control. It sounds like there is not much content to choose from though. Is that the case with Poser too? Or can the material room be used for all cloth(ing)? I have begun to dabble in Poser (8). Do most poser artists use the cloth sim engine frequently?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2013

I love Poser dynamics. But then I am a Poser user., don't use DS. I use Bryce and Poser.

BTW edited to add that there is quite a lot of free Dynamic clothing for DS on Martin's Optiex site.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Poser's cloth room works a bit differently. You can take any object, even primitives, and turn them into cloth objects which can be draped over anything in your scene. This process is known as 'clothifying'. This means that outfits which normally bend with your models anyway (and thus, can be posed in a normal manner) can be later draped to create more realistic folds, as long as it doesn't have any thickness to it.

Ultimately this means that Poser has the advantage when it comes to dynamic cloth as the Optifex plugin is currently the only dynamic cloth support available in Daz.

edited December 1969

Poser's cloth room works a bit differently. You can take any object, even primitives, and turn them into cloth objects which can be draped over anything in your scene. This process is known as 'clothifying'. This means that outfits which normally bend with your models anyway (and thus, can be posed in a normal manner) can be later draped to create more realistic folds, as long as it doesn't have any thickness to it.

Ultimately this means that Poser has the advantage when it comes to dynamic cloth as the Optifex plugin is currently the only dynamic cloth support available in Daz.

Do this mean that ordinary clothes such as a dress designed for V4 can be made to fold or drape in Poser's cloth room or are only special clothes able to do that?

edited February 2013

Normally you can buy (or downnload free) outfits that are specially made for the cloth room, but you can take a standard outfit, export it as an OBJ and import the obj to Poser to use it in the cloth room. but you have to make sure it fits onto the figure first when imported, on a fig in the basic T pose., then save it again as a prop in Poser. then you can clothify it.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Normally you can buy (or downnload free) outfits that are specially made for the cloth room, but you can take a standard outfit, export it as an OBJ and import the obj to Poser to use it in the cloth room. but you have to make sure it fits onto the figure first when imported, on a fig in the basic T pose., then save it again as a prop in Poser. then you can clothify it.

That sounds like several steps to get there. Is this something Poser artists do a lot? I mean converting clothing from a fig to a prop. Also do you have the link to OptiTex (Optiex?) site where I can find some free dynamic product to experiment with?

edited December 1969

Thanks Khory, I had somehow lost that link

edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for their input. You have given me enough to begin exploring, which is what I was after.