What Is Going On With Carrara?

NoneNone Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

It seems as if development has come to a grinding halt, people are leaving in droves, and little to no information is forth coming from anyone at Daz (although this is nothing new)

I am seriously beginning to wonder if it is worth my time and money to invest in Carrara related things (which seem few and far between at the moment) and I am beginning to wonder if I should look into another 3D application

Comments

• 3dView3dView Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

CoolArtDude--

Its always a personal decision what one should do and Daz can make you wonder what the heck is going on.......but in the end it depends on what you want out of the software. Carrara can do nearly everything anything else can do out there . Some not as well and some as well but for the jack of all trades one application --its hard to beat. In its price range now you really only have blender (free) , animation master 79, Houdini Apprentice (noncommercial $99) for software that can do all the things that carrara can ---your next step is way up at Modo at 1200. then lightwave and so on.

As far as investing in assets for Carrara ---I think that is one of the issues for Daz with Carrara . They are a content company. They like, promote , workon , update daz studio as it has no real asset making capabilities while Carrara does and folks do use that capability instead of buying content to the degree that daz studio folks have to. So there are less things specific to Carrara but those are very good in general.

Is Carrara dead? -----DAZ is supposed to have something to say with Carrara in February (this one) at least that is what we have heard. What are they going to say--who knows? If I ran Daz --day one I would start a better communcation with their customers. They really need this. Its the single most glaring marketing opportunity they botch all the time by their silence. Just give folks a hint of your plans ----progress etc hell put a disclaimer on every communication if you want to make your lawyers happy if need be ----but really the silence is a bad thing.

(Daz --for a lesson on trying to run a better software company ---just spend a little time checking out Luxology makers of Modo ---There is no better user friendly , customer committed , community loving company on the planet. )

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have invested a lot of money in Carrara over the years, for the program and content, if they are going to shelve it, then I will have to look into another program but I would like to know what is going on with it first, Maybe they are going to release 8.5 who knows, I just don't wish to invest anything more until I know for sure what is going to happen

edited December 1969

Well --hey one bright spot for communication ----have new TOS for forums a/o today. Smiles. Hey that's a start. ---
    Really- we all would not care so much if we did not think Carrara was not great. We know it is. We just want some words on the future and hopefully its good news.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

3dView said:
    Well --hey one bright spot for communication ----have new TOS for forums a/o today. Smiles. Hey that's a start. ---

:question: sorry did not understand this part.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,209
    edited December 1969

What's going on with Carrara?
    It's busy rendering as we speak!!! ;)
    No... I'm worried too, CAD. Good to hear from you again - been a L O N G time, it seems.
    Wish it were under better circumstances.
    Okay, here goes.
    We've all seen long periods of silence before from Daz.
    They never seem to mean anything bad by it - and, when it's all over, most of us understand why it is that they had to hold their tongues.
    When there's this much silence, it is obvious that it is forbidden territory to post to the forum - period.
    So, that's why they sent poor little Britney, Bless her heart - who likely doesn't even have a clue to what's going on. Doesn't matter. She was sent to type in a one-liner and get out.

So far, whenever they return to the pages, we're all happy to see them back and share in the new news of the day.
    I, for one, truly hope that this is, once again, the case.

I must also point out, as opposition to some of your above points, however.
    Every time they launch a new product in the store, so long as it's not DS Materials, lights or cameras, it works for Carrara.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited February 2013

Even if DAZ decides to bring 8.5 out and end further develpoment or look for a buyer tomorrow, doesn't mean that Monday if you try and open Carrara nothing will happen. As long as you can open and use Carrar, your investments are still viable.

I've always seen a low number of Carrara specific products in the store by DAZ. The plugin developers on the other hand seem to be fairly active. Even Fenric didn't give up on Carrara- just the DAZ store.

So now we have two threads bitching about the possible end of Carrara- Yours and Manstan's thread about leaving. I've already read one comment by a new user alarmed by the doom and gloom. These threads that rely on FUD and hyperbolic topic titles are a great way to grow the user base and possibly show DAZ that Carrara is viable. :blank:

I don't mean to be harsh, and I'm no Pollyanna, but isn't there a way to discuss these very valid issues without all the drama and doom and gloom as if the world were coming to an end? Do we really need two or three threads a month rehashing the same non-information again and again?

Edited to clarify second paragraph.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796
    edited December 1969

I was upon reading said new TOS, going to suggest merging your thread and ManStan's to free up the first page for other subject matters,
    EP thinking along the same lines I see!
    Cho, just do it already ;-P

edited December 1969

I was upon reading said new TOS, going to suggest merging your thread and ManStan's to free up the first page for other subject matters,

I see nothing different in the general code of conduct for the forums, it is exactly the same as it was in the previous version of the TOS.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

I see nothing different in the general code of conduct for the forums, it is exactly the same as it was in the previous version of the TOS.

Still not allowed to publish boobies?!? Dammit! :ahhh:

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Can too

boobies-ifnotfunny.jpg
    750 x 600 - 98K
  • Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

Even if DAZ decides to bring 8.5 out and end further develpoment or look for a buyer tomorrow, doesn't mean that Monday if you try and open Carrara nothing will happen. As long as you can open and use Carrar, your investments are still viable.

I've always seen a low number of Carrara specific products in the store by DAZ. The plugin developers on the other hand seem to be fairly active. Even Fenric didn't give up on Carrara- just the DAZ store.

So now we have two threads bitching about the possible end of Carrara- Yours and Manstan's thread about leaving. I've already read one comment by a new user alarmed by the doom and gloom. These threads that rely on FUD and hyperbolic topic titles are a great way to grow the user base and possibly show DAZ that Carrara is viable. :blank:

I don't mean to be harsh, and I'm no Pollyanna, but isn't there a way to discuss these very valid issues without all the drama and doom and gloom as if the world were coming to an end? Do we really need two or three threads a month rehashing the same non-information again and again?

Edited to clarify second paragraph.

100 percent in agreement!

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    chohole said:

Can too

Those are nice boobies. ;)

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

I'm not too worried about the end of Carrara.
    As long as stuff keeps coming out for Gen4 (or at least that doesn't require Genesis) I will be in good shape.
    The marketplace here and at Rendo are full of items I have yet to buy.

Fenric is still lurking about, as are Howie Farkes, and a few others.

I'm in good shape for now.

edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    I'm not too worried about the end of Carrara.
    As long as stuff keeps coming out for Gen4 (or at least that doesn't require Genesis) I will be in good shape.
    The marketplace here and at Rendo are full of items I have yet to buy.

Fenric is still lurking about, as are Howie Farkes, and a few others.

I'm in good shape for now.

Amen, my friend!
    Even if they make some sort of permanent SN for 8.5, Genesis at least works in Carrara. Otherwise, They are putting out fresh content for us nearly every day ;)
  • SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
    edited February 2013

"doesn’t mean that Monday if you try and open Carrara nothing will happen"

Erm over the past few months we have been recieving expiring serial codes for Carrara 8.5? to me that doesn't exactly seem to to rule out the possibility that one monday opening Carrara will do nothing. I would feel a lot better if Daz released new builds insead of saying "you're allowed to play with our software untill such and such date" atleast then if something did happen I could still use an old beta of Carrara 8.5.

I use genesis a lot and if one day the Carrara 8.5 serial expires for good my money will have been wasted and my plans utterly squashed. I hope that Daz doesn't plan on keeping us all waiting too long for that February announcement.

Post edited by Sonofbelmont on
    edited December 1969

"doesn’t mean that Monday if you try and open Carrara nothing will happen"

Erm over the past few months we have been recieving expiring serial codes for Carrara 8.5? to me that doesn't exactly seem to to rule out the possibility that one monday opening Carrara will do nothing. I would feel a lot better if Daz released new builds insead of saying "you're allowed to play with our software untill such and such date" atleast then if something did happen I could still use an old beta of Carrara 8.5.

I use genesis a lot and if one day the Carrara 8.5 serial expires for good my money will have been wasted and my plans utterly squashed. I hope that Daz doesn't plan on keeping us all waiting too long for that February announcement.

You apparently didn't care to include the part where I said:
    Even if DAZ decides to bring 8.5 out and end further development or look for a buyer tomorrow, doesn’t mean that Monday if you try and open Carrara nothing will happen. As long as you can open and use Carrara, your investments are still viable.

:blank:

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Can too

Beautifully played! :lol:

edited December 1969

I hope that Daz doesn't plan on keeping us all waiting too long for that February announcement.

I received a Daz email last night announcing the "DAZ Install Manager." Seems like it might be a useful tool...but perhaps this is the February announcement and there is still no news about Carrara?

Just food for thought...

edited December 1969

Hmnpf! I forgot all about their new manager they were working on.
    That means that they're going to make all of their products just zip files instead of exe. Then the manager acts as a global exe that basically does what the current exe. does. Same thing, but less hassle in the end.
    Looking forward to it.
    I'm hoping that will make it so you don't have to try and figure out what to download - because its just one thing.

edited December 1969

I'm hoping that will make it so you don't have to try and figure out what to download - because its just one thing.

I'll second that though very enthusiastically! It would be nice to say, "I just bought Product X. And have this DIM tool automatically install what you need whether you use D|S or Carrara or Bryce."

Do they really want the acronym "DIM" though? :zip:

edited February 2013

What's going on with Carrara?
    It's busy rendering as we speak!!! ;)
    No... I'm worried too, CAD. Good to hear from you again - been a L O N G time, it seems.
    Wish it were under better circumstances.
    Okay, here goes.
    We've all seen long periods of silence before from Daz.
    They never seem to mean anything bad by it - and, when it's all over, most of us understand why it is that they had to hold their tongues.
    When there's this much silence, it is obvious that it is forbidden territory to post to the forum - period.
    So, that's why they sent poor little Britney, Bless her heart - who likely doesn't even have a clue to what's going on. Doesn't matter. She was sent to type in a one-liner and get out.

So far, whenever they return to the pages, we're all happy to see them back and share in the new news of the day.
    I, for one, truly hope that this is, once again, the case.

I must also point out, as opposition to some of your above points, however.
    Every time they launch a new product in the store, so long as it's not DS Materials, lights or cameras, it works for Carrara.

Some might say not long enough DB ;)

Real life - work and depression have taken their toll, my arms can attest to that.

Not trying to bash Daz, I am one of those people who likes to know what is going on, and with many people leaving Daz for what ever reason has me concerned.

I know if a product supports poser it can be used in Carrara but it all seems to be for Genesis at this time, How they can say its the industry standard and widely supported is beyond me, but I suppose that is marketing for you :p

Where did I say I was leaving? I said I was concerned with the silence and lack of communication from daz, and was asking if anyone knew things seeing I have been away from 3D in general

Don't tar me with the same brush as stan ;)

My depression may going cycles much like his leaving posts but that is all we have in common

Post edited by None on
    edited December 1969

Coolartdude-
    I do not think your concerns are unwarranted anyhow and certainly Stan, I or anyone else is entitled to their feelings and as along as they are somewhat reasonable people will read and comment upon as is their entitlement in a public forum . Its not like they hold any weight here anyhows. Smiles.

The funny thing about it is -Programmer staffing cost money--communication is nearly free. If daz is short on one -at least use some of the one that you do have. I think at least 50 percent of the negativity here is based on just lack of communication by DAZ. And to even be fair though--its even in their rights to be quiet if they so wish but for what reasons escape me right now.

Anyhow- as others have said - we still have Carrara to use and when using it ---it does not just talk --it Sings.

Rich

edited December 1969

it doesn't sing when rendering a howie scene - it screams in pain :p

Still haven't sorted out the camera issue in his new scene, I PM'd him maybe he will respond :)

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I can't say what is going on with carrara.

Lets examine some facts shall we. C8.5 has been in beta for over a year and a half. C8.5 hasn't had an update since last June. And I certainly can't post any conclusions drawn from that or give an opinion about.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

That means that they're going to make all of their products just zip files instead of exe. Then the manager acts as a global exe that basically does what the current exe. does. Same thing, but less hassle in the end.
    Looking forward to it.
    It does more than that.

A while back I stated 8.5 couldn't really be considered ready until you didn't need DAZ Studio to populate the database.

If you use Poser/DAZ Studio Content in Carrara, then Install manager will populate the database, and therefore your smart content tab, for new content installed without opening DAZ Studio.

You will still need to install DAZ Studio to install the Content Management Service but that is also on the list. Once you have and are using Install manager, if you don't want DAZ Studio on your machine, you can install it, it will install the Content Management Service, then promptly uninstall DS, and it will leave the Content Management Service installed (by design, you have to specifically run the separate uninstaller for the Content Management Service to remove it).

More coming, that I can't yet talk about.

edited December 1969

Ah! A breath of informational air from someone on the inside! Thank-you many times over!

:coolsmile: Garstor's afternoon has been made (I'm a simple guy, with simple needs).

edited December 1969

Looking forward to it.
    It does more than that.

A while back I stated 8.5 couldn't really be considered ready until you didn't need DAZ Studio to populate the database.

If you use Poser/DAZ Studio Content in Carrara, then Install manager will populate the database, and therefore your smart content tab, for new content installed without opening DAZ Studio.

You will still need to install DAZ Studio to install the Content Management Service but that is also on the list. Once you have and are using Install manager, if you don't want DAZ Studio on your machine, you can install it, it will install the Content Management Service, then promptly uninstall DS, and it will leave the Content Management Service installed (by design, you have to specifically run the separate uninstaller for the Content Management Service to remove it).

More coming, that I can't yet talk about. ... and there you have it. Sweet Molasses on a stick, coming at you live from the awesome folks at DAZ3D!
    Thanks Spooky. I knew all of my defending is for real. I just knew it!

edited February 2013

Looking forward to it.
    It does more than that.

... and there you have it. Sweet Molasses on a stick, coming at you live from the awesome folks at DAZ3D!
    Thanks Spooky. I knew all of my defending is for real. I just knew it!

Just like I've been saying for some time, they've been very busy with other stuff. Now everything's falling into place. Sounds like more good news might be on the way, but they want to make sure it's working correctly before telling us and their competitors.

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Ah! A breath of informational air from someone on the inside! Thank-you many times over!

:coolsmile: Garstor's afternoon has been made (I'm a simple guy, with simple needs).Oh and to specifically answer your earlier question, no, Install Manager is not the February Announcement. That falls under the "more coming that I can't yet talk about" comment. :)

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

I'll second that though very enthusiastically! It would be nice to say, "I just bought Product X. And have this DIM tool automatically install what you need whether you use D|S or Carrara or Bryce."

Do they really want the acronym "DIM" though? :zip:If you look it says Install Manager, not DAZ3D Install Manager. and DIM is better than what the other alternative worked out as, which was DIE or DIX. LOL.