Question regarding "Ethnicity for Genesis"

edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello. Hoping someone who has purchased one of the "Ethnicity for Genesis" packages can answer a quick question.

The packages state that they come with...

18 new Asian Face Shapes for Genesis: (.DSF)
3 Full Female Faces
3 Full Male Faces
3 Lower Female Face Shapes
3 Lower Male Face Shapes
3 Upper Female Face Shapes
3 Upper Male Face Shapes

Would I be correct in assuming that the lower and upper face shapes/morphs are the same as the full face morphs except that half the morph has been removed, and that there are no individual feature morphs? When I refer to facial features I am referring to the individual parts of the face such as eyelids, nose, cheeks, etc. I'm really looking for individual ethnic feature morphs rather then entire or full face ethnic morphs, and I am trying to decide if the "Ethnicity Packages" will meet my needs or at least get me partway there. Hope that made sense.

Thank you

Comments

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

7thStone said:

Would I be correct in assuming that the lower and upper face shapes/morphs are the same as the full face morphs except that half the morph has been removed, and that there are no individual feature morphs?

Yes. Upper half, lower half of each face, plus full face for each is what it has.

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited June 2012

That said, in my own experience, using the portions not at full strength in combination with the Genesis Evolution morphs can get you to some nice, fairly flexible results. (i.e. something like, African Female A Lower 0.30 + African Female B Upper 0.42 + Native America Female A Upper 0.10 + adjustments to mouth, nose, eyes, cheeks, with Evolution). They blend quite well with lots of other morphs and characters, too.

Post edited by Storypilot on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited June 2012

I've got some excellent results with them, especially when I mix in the others at low levels. Set, say, the african morphs to 75 and the others to 12 and 12.

My problem is textures... what I would LOOOVE to figure out is a set of layers for Gimp that would allow me to get variable dark skinned textures... Caucasians are a dime a dozen, but ethnic textures tend to be few, far between, and costly...

Post edited by wancow on
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    . . . My problem is textures... what I would LOOOVE to figure out is a set of layers for Gimp that would allow me to get variable dark skinned textures... Caucasians are a dime a dozen, but ethnic textures tend to be few, far between, and costly...

Not GIMP info (although maybe it'd work as an overlay layer, I've never tried) but this might help: the old Mil3 figures have presets to apply diffuse "Tone" to the skin material zones of a caucasian base texture -- the Genesis figures don't come with those, but you can apply the diffuse color to the skin materials by hand. If you don't have any Mil3's installed here's the info:

Tone 1: 255 255 255 (base as-is)
    Tone 2: 241 229 205
    Tone 3: 255 252 222
    Tone 4: 236 218 181
    Tone 5: 209 190 169
    Tone 6: 185 162 138
    Tone 7: 133 115 95

Now if I've done this correctly, a picture of the thumbnails for each tone should be attached:

screenshot.05-06-2012_10_.58_.48_.png
    330 x 244 - 84K
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

If you don't have any Mil3's installed here's the info:

Example of Tone 7 at work on A3 (really need to update it due to some feedback I got): http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2324083&user_id=733323&np;&np;

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited December 1969

You can also use Leoni Mullett's rDNA Skintones for V4 update of an older product for V3. It also works on M4, so it'll work on any texture for Genesis that uses M4/V4 UVs. You do want to be careful using it, however, since it covers the entire texture. You don't necessarily want to go too much darker than the base skin tone because you'll also be darkening the palms and soles of the feet; that's what happens when you change the diffuse for all skin areas. Unfortunately, palms and soles aren't defined as different material zones -- curious, that -- so it's difficult to exclude them from the tone changes.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:
    wancow said:
    . . . My problem is textures... what I would LOOOVE to figure out is a set of layers for Gimp that would allow me to get variable dark skinned textures... Caucasians are a dime a dozen, but ethnic textures tend to be few, far between, and costly...

Not GIMP info (although maybe it'd work as an overlay layer, I've never tried) but this might help: the old Mil3 figures have presets to apply diffuse "Tone" to the skin material zones of a caucasian base texture -- the Genesis figures don't come with those, but you can apply the diffuse color to the skin materials by hand. If you don't have any Mil3's installed here's the info:

. . . it covers the entire texture . . . you'll also be darkening the palms and soles of the feet; that's what happens when you change the diffuse for all skin areas. Unfortunately, palms and soles aren't defined as different material zones -- curious, that -- so it's difficult to exclude them from the tone changes.
    Sorry to necro-topic, but I just found out how to use those Diffuse Tone settings in GIMP: GIMP's Layer Mode Multiply! Works like this:
    :exclaim: Open the texture map in GIMP.
    :exclaim: In the Layers pane create a new white layer (it should pop up on top of the texture, turning everything white).
    :exclaim: From the Tools pane change the Foreground Color to the same Red-Green-Blue numbers you'd use as the Diffuse Color in DAZStudio.
    :exclaim: Use the Bucket Fill tool to change the entire white layer to that color.
    :exclaim: In the Layers pane select your colored layer, then change the Layer Mode (it's above the Opacity bar, near the top) to Multiply.
    :exclaim: Export as a jpg (if that's what it was before) and you'll have a new texture map with that exact Diffuse Color baked in!

Repeat for getting the palms and foot-soles the color you want. Then bring both of the new texture maps back into GIMP as layers, hit one with a layer mask, and paint out the palms and foot-soles (Snowsultan's seamguides should be helpful). This last step's giving me trouble (I'm horrible at hand-painting textures, even just transparency masks), but it should do the job.

• Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:
    wancow said:

. . . it covers the entire texture . . . you'll also be darkening the palms and soles of the feet; that's what happens when you change the diffuse for all skin areas. Unfortunately, palms and soles aren't defined as different material zones -- curious, that -- so it's difficult to exclude them from the tone changes.
    Sorry to necro-topic, but I just found out how to use those Diffuse Tone settings in GIMP: GIMP's Layer Mode Multiply! Works like this:
    :exclaim: In the Layers pane create a new white layer (it should pop up on top of the texture, turning everything white).
    :exclaim: From the Tools pane change the Foreground Color to the same Red-Green-Blue numbers you'd use as the Diffuse Color in DAZStudio.
    :exclaim: Use the Bucket Fill tool to change the entire white layer to that color.
    :exclaim: In the Layers pane select your colored layer, then change the Layer Mode (it's above the Opacity bar, near the top) to Multiply.
    :exclaim: Export as a jpg (if that's what it was before) and you'll have a new texture map with that exact Diffuse Color baked in!

Repeat for getting the palms and foot-soles the color you want. Then bring both of the new texture maps back into GIMP as layers, hit one with a layer mask, and paint out the palms and foot-soles (Snowsultan's seamguides should be helpful). This last step's giving me trouble (I'm horrible at hand-painting textures, even just transparency masks), but it should do the job.

If you darken the skin tone, raising the specular value can also help a lot. I learned that from the old Black is Beautiful thread on the old boards.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:
    wancow said:

Hmm...I may have to copy that info elsewhere...