Time and energy spent on DS 4.5 But...

chriswongbizchriswongbiz Posts: 206
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi,

I have made a few scenes of animation on DS 4.5, so they are .duf files naturally.
This first render took about 2 days and when it's finished, I have only 1 sec done out of my 8 seconds. Well, I thought it is only an accident.

So I tried my second render, this time, after 2 days rendering, out of the 4 secs I still got only 1 sec done.

It is upsetting as it was rendering as usual so you thought DS 4.5 is working fine but no. It still " quitted unexpectedly", except now it doesn't even tell you so you keep on waiting for the rendering to finish. Time and expectation wasted.

Now I really want to switch back to DS 4, can anyone kind tell me how I can turn these .duf files I made on DS 4.5 usable on DS 4, ( .daz files ? ) I don't understand why DS 4 and DS 4.5 are like two different species and they don't talk to each other. Frustrated.

Help! Please!

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited February 2013

You can't convert a DUF file to a .DAZ file, they work in a completely different way. DS4.5 can open DAZ files, but DS4 cannot open DUF files, sorry.

What is in the Scene that you are rendering? What lights are you using? How long does it take to render a single frame? How are you rendering the animation, Image Series or Movie?

You say it just quits without any warning? Did you look in the Log File, Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File, to see if there ws any indication of what happened.

Now I really want to switch back to DS 4, can anyone kind tell me how I can turn these .duf files I made on DS 4.5 usable on DS 4, ( .daz files ? ) I don’t understand why DS 4 and DS 4.5 are like two different species and they don’t talk to each other. Frustrated.

You can go back to DS4 if you need to, but I would try to get this sorted out first. We need to know what version of DS4.5 you are using. Help > About DAZ Studio will tell you the full version number.

There was a major change in the way that DS 4.5 works as compared to DS4, there was a new SDK as well, and a new File Format (.DUF) too. It is a completely different version to DS4

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Also,..

What's your system spec ?
    What's your render settings ?

any screen captures of your render settings may be helpful.

If it's taking two days to render 30 or 24 frames, you're doing something wrong

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited February 2013

If you really want you can save presets like poses, materials, deformers and such in the old format

file >save as>deprecated> (Pick your preset)

I don't think you can save full scenes though. I wouldn't suggest trying to go back. 4.5 is the future and a lot of new content doesn't work on 4.0

Also, I don't think DS 4.5 is causing your problems. I think you are rendering at settings too high for your system, it's easy to do. How much content do you have in your scene? What kind of shaders are you using?

What resolution are you trying to render to, etc etc.

There is a reason ILM uses networks of computers to render animations :)

EDIT: This is a suggestion for when you do figure out your issue. Consider rendering to an image sequence! Compile it into a video file afterward. This way even if Daz crashes half way through, you still have half the images saved to disk and you can continue the render from where it left off.

Also I wouldn't try to render 8 seconds of video without knowing how long a single frame takes to render. If a single frame takes 4 hours, then it's obviously going to take several days to complete. Try rendering at smaller resolutions. After you share more info about your system and project, I'm sure folks will have a ton of suggestions.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Odd. Using DS4.5 it only took me 3 hours to render a 300 frame animation with high quality lighting. It shouldn't be taking you days to get only 1 second of animation, unless you have a very low spec PC.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Odd. Using DS4.5 it only took me 3 hours to render a 300 frame animation with high quality lighting. It shouldn't be taking you days to get only 1 second of animation, unless you have a very low spec PC.

We don't know the render settings or what is in the scene though. And as you say, we don't know the system spec, but even a high end system will render slowly if you don't optimize your render first.