It was a funny bug, but now it is annoying

MalusMalus Posts: 370
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

This is a carrara bug so I don't really know where to put it. I saw daz bugs, but no carrara so I probably got it in the wrong place. Anyways to the bug. This bug occurs quiet frankly every time I open carrara now. I thought it was just idiotic crash that happened once, but nope every time I open carrara. it was working just fine then my computer pulled it's stupid black screen thing when I close the laptop and crashed. Now carrara does this, it has done this three times in a row. Here is the pic.

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Grimreaper :)

Next time it happens, click the section at the bottom of that window "view problem details"

click and drag inside the area which opens up, and select all the text,. then Hit CTRL+C (Copy)

then "close the program",.

make a new text document, and hit CTRL+V (paste) and save the file as "crash.txt" (or something like that)

that info will give some idea of what's actually happening.

For reporting bugs, you need to go to Mantis and set up a new user name / password (if you haven't done that already)
    Once you're in mantis.

Technically speaking a bug is something which happens repeatedly for many people on many systems,.
    so, if this is happening using Carrara 8.1.1.12 ,.. and it's only happening on your system, then it's more likely that there's some other issue which is causing carrara to crash on your system, but we'd need a lot more info to try to track it down what's causing it.

I know you've had issues with the C8 and the beta recently, and reinstalled those,.
    Q: Is this happening on both C8 and the beta, ...or just C8. ?

Q: did you uninstall / remove any plug-ins in the Carrara / Extensions folder ?

or is this a fresh, clean install.

Q: any other issues happening with your computer, or any other software ?

• MalusMalus Posts: 370
    edited December 1969

I didn't reinstall 8.1 (lol) I had the same amount trouble out of 8.5 so I said screw it and I installed 8.5. Nope haven't uninstall or removed plugins? No other issues with my computer beside the usual, but carrara is the only thing acting up.

What is Mantis?

Also here what the thing said (If you wondering I can't open carrara at all with out this happening so I can always bring the error back up)

Here is the copied info.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Carrara.exe
    Application Version: 8.5.0.72
    Application Timestamp: 4ede23f8
    Fault Module Name: NetworkRendering.mcx
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ede2565
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00000000000274b0
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: a790
    Additional Information 2: a79074329793258684b49f5352a1c749
    Additional Information 3: 049e
    Additional Information 4: 049eb399e1b188ab5cf0cdfe104d032c

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

(Yeah I plan on getting a pc this summer after taxes a custom built beast meant to do what I want it to do. I can actually get a 10,000 dollar pc for 2,000 dollars seriously, I could make a business out of it)(I have a friend that does building computers and fixing computers for a living so I actually have an expert to help)

edited December 1969

OK,. :)

If you're not using C8 right now,.. Uninstall it,. then delete any files and folders remaining in Daz3D \ Carrara8.
    All your own saved stuff, like shaders or models will be in your "My Documents\Daz3D\Carrara8\Presets....

If you're using the beta.,..

Q: Is this a fresh install into a new folder, or is it a re-install,.. into the same folder where the previous beta version was (which gave you problems with C8)

It's sometimes best to do a "clean install" .. by removing the program completely,.. re-booting,.. then installing the program again, making sure that there are no files left from the old installation, before you install the program.

My advice still stands that you should uninstall Both C8 and the Beta,.
    make sure there's no files or folders left after un-installing.
    Reboot the system.
    then install the version you want,. (although,.. there should be no problems with having both C8 and the 8.5 beta installed,.. as long as they're installed into completely different folders)

EG:
    Program Files\Daz3D\Carrara8 ...(for the C8.1.1.12 version)
    and
    Program Files\Daz3D\CarraraProBeta8 ...(for the beta version)

That should give you both versions, ...working

Hoe it helps :)

edited December 1969

Mantis,.. is the Daz3D Bug tracker,..

There's a link to it,. from the first page of the beta thread.

https://bugs.daz3d.com/

you need to set up a new user name and password, (It won't accept your Daz3D store/forum account)
    then you should see the Bugs reported and an area at the "top right" where you can choose what product (Project) you want to report a bug for...

:)

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited January 2013

Just a bit of sort of off topic advice:

When posting such screenshots, it is always a good idea to obscure your serial number!

Posting it can lead to ... issues.

EDIT: Nevermind!!

Just noticed it's the beta, and that number is public.

Oops.

Ignore me.

Carry on...

Post edited by Sockratease on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited January 2013

Just a bit of sort of off topic advice:

When posting such screenshots, it is always a good idea to obscure your serial number!

Posting it can lead to ... issues.

Carry on...

:coolgrin: Bwahahahaaaaa!

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

I really feel for ya, Grim...
    I know it's an isolated incident, though. Carrara is quite a stable piece of softy. 3dage is excellent at helping folks iron that out so please don't just throw his advice to the wind. I know you like using Carrara - give it another shot. Let 3dage step you through this... oh man :(

edited December 1969

I really feel for ya, Grim...
    I know it's an isolated incident, though.

You obviously forgot Grimm's stream of consciousness thread in the old forum! I think most of his problems are with his system and not Carrara. I feel bad for the guy, but what can you do, short of buying him a new rig?

edited January 2013

I'd be happy to build him a new rig if someone gets me the parts. I'd even put the order together.
    If he has a monitor and keyboard, I could build him (and/or you, for that matter) a really strong (and fast) Carrara work station. It would run Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, unless otherwise detailed. Win 8 is more like a smart phone - and you don't need Pro for twice the price.

Edit:
    My Wife has the great understanding that people who do this sort of stuff need to upgrade from time to time, so she budgets for that (for me). Rosie IS a TRUE Hero! Building my own has saved me thousands of dollars. And the fact that I build my own to both save money and to get the hardware that I need, I am currently unable to use MacOS - but from their latest updates and upgrades, from what I hear - I'm glad I don't use 'em. My Brother, both Sisters and my Dad all use (and love) Macs. But they're much more well-to-do than I.

I just feel bad when someone can't run Carrara. It even runs on my laptop! But I really forked out the cash for that - as I knew I'd be rendering with it.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

I couldn't help but notice that you're trying to use an old beta build (version 72).
    I recommend downloading a newer version before spending too much time troubleshooting the old one.
    There were four more released since 8.5.0.72:
    Carrara_8.5.0.107 beta
    Carrara_8.5.0.132 beta
    Carrara_8.5.0.149 beta
    Carrara_8.5.0.172 beta

Also, installing the actual non-beta 8.1.1.12 for comparison might be a good idea.

edited February 2013

I'm going to be quiet frank I think I'm just going to wait til I get the pc. I will have to download everything again anyways. I will eventually do what ya'll said just to see if it works. I hope the model I was working on isn't corrupt. I also have one leg and arm from buying this shiny turd I have for a laptop. I bought this laptop to do certain things with, and 50 percent of those thing actually over heat my laptop as soon as I open them to use them, surprised maya hasn't done it. I bought a fancy laptop with 3D blu ray and as soon as the warranty was gone good the 3D went out and my mic doesn't work and using this things blu ray drive literally makes this thing feel like it is going to catch fire, I could probably cook an egg on it sometimes. ( I had a weird idea does anyone have spare change from a country outside of the united states that are willing to give it away, if so send me a message I like collecting coins, and I'm tired of looking at my currency I want to frame some oddball currency, because I never really seen any currency outside of the US except for maybe on youtube). Yes I have a problem I get distracted very easily and I will say what is on my mind at the time even if I shouldn't or even if it doesn't have to do with the subject at hand, sorry about that. Also I listen to 3D age a lot he is one of my best invisible friends.

Post edited by Malus on
    edited December 1969

My daughter has a cat.
    I have a fairly powerful vacuum cleaner - a little handheld, but not cordless.
    Her laptop overheated with nothing but Windows running.
    I sucked and I sucked. Oh that dreaded cat hair takes a long time to suck!
    Laptop fixed!
    I don't really like laptops anymore. I like how portable they are, so I'll likely never be without one, but they don't make them so you can get at those fans and clean them properly. All you can do is suck. :smirk:

edited December 1969

Yeah... I really like 3dage.
    He truly is a good friend.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Carrara.exe
    Application Version: 8.5.0.72
    Application Timestamp: 4ede23f8
    Fault Module Name: NetworkRendering.mcx
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ede2565
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00000000000274b0
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: a790
    Additional Information 2: a79074329793258684b49f5352a1c749
    Additional Information 3: 049e
    Additional Information 4: 049eb399e1b188ab5cf0cdfe104d032c

Yep. This is a bug alright - but there is not enough information here to say more.

"Fault Module Name: NetworkRendering.mcx"

OK, did you ever setup network rendering? If it is enabled now can you disable it? Does that help?

"Exception Code: c0000005"

This code is an "Access Violation." Hence my saying "it's a bug." Without getting too techie on you, basically the program code got an invalid memory address (probably all zeros, aka a "null pointer") and tried to use it. Windows protects certain areas of virtual address space and you get an Access Violation if you try to use these areas.

This should generate a memory dump of the Carrara process. DAZ programmers can use that dump to figure out exactly what caused the AV. If they will do this for you is another question...but I used to look at memory dumps of SQL Server all the time at Microsoft. Fun times... :)

edited December 1969

de3an said:
    I couldn't help but notice that you're trying to use an old beta build (version 72).

Good eyes! I missed that bit. Access Violations often go away with newer code.

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

If you aren't using network rendering (rendernodes), you can remove the three files "NetworkRendering.dat", "NetworkRendering.mcx", and "NetworkRendering.txt" from your Carrara\Extensions folder.

edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    If you aren't using network rendering (rendernodes), you can remove the three files "NetworkRendering.dat", "NetworkRendering.mcx", and "NetworkRendering.txt" from your Carrara\Extensions folder.

I agree that is the fastest test for a solution. Followed by upgrading to the latest bits.

But my first reply was a bit hasty ... it is possible that there is a bug that is not Daz's fault at all. It is called a "scribbler" because it is a bug in a device driver that is writing on memory that it doesn't own.

Normally if you try to write to a memory address you don't own, you get that Access Violation that is the source of your Carrara crash. Note that I said "device driver" though. Those reside in a special area (along with Windows itself) and have the "power" to write anywhere...fun little buggers to chase down...

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

It sounds like a network stack problem, and that is perhaps the worst of the lot to hunt down. The network render module is fairly trivial: opening a multicast, promiscuous mode (sorry, that's what it's called) UDP port and then listening to it.

It shouldn't crash like that. It shouldn't be ABLE to crash like that. It's a driver level error, but why?

So... driver corruption tends to make things in the network stack just plain not work at all. I'm inclined to think hardware - a surge over the network cable, or a capacitor going out.

edited December 1969

I wouldn't be surprised about a cap going out I blew up 3 or 4 on a graphics card on my other computer.

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

My daughter has a cat.
    Laptop fixed!
    I don't really like laptops anymore. I like how portable they are, so I'll likely never be without one, but they don't make them so you can get at those fans and clean them properly. All you can do is suck. :smirk:

Arkh!! Do be careful when doing that...in fact...don't! The static a vacuum cleaner generates will easily fry your hardware and you'll be shelling out for a new laptop. A better solution is to shave the cat.

wait...maybe not....

edited December 1969

Madbat said:
    My daughter has a cat.
    Laptop fixed!

Arkh!! Do be careful when doing that...in fact...don't! The static a vacuum cleaner generates will easily fry your hardware and you'll be shelling out for a new laptop. A better solution is to shave the cat.

wait...maybe not....

As long as he keeps the laptop plugged in while he's doing it, it should be okay as it's grounded and the chassis should direct the stray voltage to the ground. Still, it's probably a good idea to do it as infrequently as possible and not on a dry winter day.

I would also say that it's probably better to try and suck the crud out, instead of using compressed air and forcing the crud in.

edited December 1969

sure would be nice if they'd give a person a way to clean the fan(s). :-/

edited December 1969

Hey does anyone know about 2D game sprites if you do then I have a question. I plan on rendering 3D sprites. Would it be a good idea to render an animation out in a png sequencer instead of posing render posing render etc. ?

edited February 2013

Hey does anyone know about 2D game sprites if you do then I have a question. I plan on rendering 3D sprites. Would it be a good idea to render an animation out in a png sequencer instead of posing render posing render etc. ?

It will depend on the game engine. The image format will also depend on the game engine.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

The game engine accept transparent png files. I'm using either stencyl or game maker if that is helpful. (Honestly I'm going for game maker I have been using it recently and it is easier for me to use)

edited December 1969

HI Grimreaper :)

You should be able to do this using Sequenced PNG images, just pose each frame differently and render
    It's not something I've done myself, but there have been a couple of people who have done this,.

Perhaps asking in one of the other forums may get you more info.

hope it helps :)

edited December 1969

Ok, do you have a general idea of what forum I should go to?

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 785
    edited December 1969

My son created a game for the iPhone using 3D sprites. I created all the sprites in Carrara and saved them as numbered PNGs. He was able to create a sprite sheet for them and then use that in Xcode. I'm sure it will work with GameMaker.

edited December 1969

Thanks, I thought it was a good idea but wasn't quiet sure. Also what size was your sprites if you can find out.

edited December 1969

Thanks, I thought it was a good idea but wasn't quiet sure. Also what size was your sprites if you can find out.

You should check the documentation of the engine you're developing for. It will be more specific to what you want to do and you avoid the problems of third-hand information about a different engine possibly leading you down the wrong path. There may even be tutorials you can follow to get practice with the software.