Avindair's Renders

Tony BrunoTony Bruno Posts: 28
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

Hey, everyone --

Hopped on the DAZ train during the incredible give-away deal. Started a comic project using DAZ, LightWave, ZBrush, Photoshop CS4. and Comic Life (yes, really) as my primary tools during the winter, but got distracted by the yellow sun and blue skies of summer. Now that fall is already bearing down on us, I decided to get the project rolling along again.

Included in this and the following posts are some renders both from the project (sans script) and some stand-alones I knocked together yesterday. The space shot in particular ("Long Flight") was a test of both Reality 2.0 on my Mac Pro. Have to say, completely in love with luxRender right now.

Lastly, I'm still experimenting with the look I want to go with for the comic. As such, you'll see different styles from shot-to-shot.

Enjoy.

Tony (Avindair)

Comments

• Tony BrunoTony Bruno Posts: 28
    edited August 2012

As promised, here are pages 1 and 2 from the comic book. Script work is only temporary (I'm actually trying the Kirby / Lee model of scriptwriting this time, as opposed to the Gaiman method I'm used to), and the look is still being finalized. As you can also see, the last page included is still missing shots.

Enjoy.

Page_2.jpg
    612 x 792 - 615K
    Page_1.jpg
    612 x 792 - 595K
    Post edited by Tony Bruno on
    edited December 1969

Here are pages 3 and 4...

Page_4.jpg
    612 x 792 - 189K
    Page_3.jpg
    612 x 792 - 553K
    edited December 1969

...and here is page 5 of the comic, along with some additional shots for pages yet to come.

DL_I1_P5_CU.png
    699 x 833 - 705K
    DL_I1_P5_Profile_Shot_AJ_BowString.png
    600 x 776 - 830K
    DL_I1_P5_ECU.png
    600 x 337 - 148K
    Page_5.jpg
    612 x 792 - 229K
  • SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
    edited December 1969

Looking good!

edited December 1969

Thanks, Steve.

Now that I have the workflow down again, been knocking through my thumbnails to get the comic on track.

Oh, and for the record, the script has already changed from the first postings. :)

Page_7.jpg
    612 x 792 - 891K
    Page_6.jpg
    612 x 792 - 665K
    Page_5.jpg
    612 x 792 - 554K
    edited December 1969

I'm also working on converting a model I created in LightWave for a Science Fiction convention opening ceremonies animation in 2009. First shot is of the orthos shot in LightWave (typo and all), and the others are some quick shots I made in the past hour using Reality 2.0.

The conversion process is a bit of a challenge, but I think it'll be worth the effort.

reality_scene_f295.png
    600 x 337 - 264K
    f295_3.png
    600 x 337 - 234K
    f295_1.png
    600 x 337 - 176K
    AngelsFiveWeb.jpg
    1024 x 819 - 126K
    F2295Orthos_Web.jpg
    1920 x 1585 - 456K
    edited December 1969

Been busy knocking out panels and pages. Decided to bundle up the first half to see how it flows. Pretty pleased.

Included are a couple of sample pages, If space allows, I'll include the .pdf of the first half.

Enjoy!

Page_11.jpg
    612 x 792 - 802K
    Page_10.jpg
    612 x 792 - 751K
    Page_09.jpg
    612 x 792 - 728K
  • michaeltoomichaeltoo Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

Hi Avindair,
    those are some really great renders, I love your first render its a great scene and sepia tone really adds to atmosphere. The comic strip is really well done as well and I'd like to see more. I'm surprised you have not had more comments on them. :-)

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

Very nice renders! I wish you luck with your comic project.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

I'm currently only averaging about a page or two per week. Ironically, that only works out to about 12 hours of actual work, but squeezing it in between my job and, well, life, can be difficult.

I'm also building more of my own props for the scenes. Now that I have a decenet Lightwave-to-DAZ workflow, that allows me a lot more flexibility.

Looking forward to sharin the first completed issue soon.

edited December 1969

Still knocking this stuff out, but decided to share an earlier page fully-lettered, and a newer page.

Enjoy!

Page_16.jpg
    612 x 792 - 690K
    Page_04.jpg
    612 x 792 - 281K
    edited December 1969

Well, folks, Issue One of "Discarded Lives" has been completed. I'm now hard at work looking for a good hosting solution, as well as rendering shots from Issue Two.

In the meantime, I generated a "teaser" poster to go along with the project.

Enjoy!

Tony

DiscardedLivesTeaserPoster.png
    1274 x 1650 - 5M
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,124
    edited December 1969

Avindair said:
    Been busy knocking out panels and pages. Decided to bundle up the first half to see how it flows. Pretty pleased.

Included are a couple of sample pages, If space allows, I'll include the .pdf of the first half.

Enjoy!

awesome web cartoons.. keep em coming :)
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Ivy!

Well, it's time. Discarded Lives is in the wild now. Check it out at:

http://discardedlives.com/

Pages are set to update one per day for Issue One. Since that's already in the can, that means I'd better get off of my keester and push onto Issue Two!

Enjoy!

Tony

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

These are fantastic Avindair!!! Really well done on your comic work, these are great! You've inspired me heaps :cheese:

edited November 2012

Spyro said:
    These are fantastic Avindair!!! Really well done on your comic work, these are great! You've inspired me heaps :cheese:

Thanks, Spyro!

The comic is now publishing twice per week. It's a more sane production schedule all around.

Regardless, I thought I'd share some select panels from Issue Two as a teaser.

Enjoy!

DL_I2_P5_P1_PreComp.jpg
    1275 x 675 - 276K
    DL_I2_P3_P4_NoReal_PreComp.jpg
    1275 x 600 - 383K
    DL_I2_P6_P4_PreComp.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 375K
    DL_I2_P2_P5_PreComp.png
    800 x 1000 - 2M
    DL_I2_P1_P3_PreComp.png
    600 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by Tony Bruno on
    edited December 1969

Hey, everyone --

Issue Two of Discarded Lives was delayed by an illness that had me down for the count for the better part of a month. I'm happy to report that I'm feeling much better, and that, as of this moment, only four pages remain to be crafted in this chapter.

Here are three pages of the issue here as a sneak peek.

Enjoy!

Page_15.jpg
    612 x 792 - 654K
    Page_16.jpg
    612 x 792 - 626K
    Page_17.jpg
    612 x 792 - 594K
  • AVU4UAVU4U Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

Ur comic looks great. I'm working on a graphic novel called Nocturnes. Check it out here:

http://avu4u.com/

I've completed about 38 pages so far. Once the first chapter is done I'll write the rest of the story which will probably bring the total page count to about 150 pages. It sure takes a lot of time to make this book. I've been working on it for over a year.

Chap1CoverPge.jpg
    612 x 792 - 444K
    edited December 1969

AVU4U said:
    Ur comic looks great. I'm working on a graphic novel called Nocturnes. Check it out here:

http://avu4u.com/

I've completed about 38 pages so far. Once the first chapter is done I'll write the rest of the story which will probably bring the total page count to about 150 pages. It sure takes a lot of time to make this book. I've been working on it for over a year.

Thanks! Off to read your comic now!

Issue 2 is "in the can," and has been set for a twice-per-week publication schedule on the site. I've sent the completed issue to a few people whom I trust to be honest, and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Excited for the world to see this story.

After I read your work it's time to start thumbnailing Issue 3 from the script and get to work on rendering panels.

Thanks again!

Tony