JANUARY 2013 New Users Contest WIP Thread

1235»

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Anyone wishing to post their images to be entered in to the actual contest, please be sure you put your entries in this thread before the contest closes 01/31/2012..Any images not in that thread won't be considered when judging: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14447/

Just thought I would mention to remind everyone since the contest closes tomorrow evening :)

Should we post both the original and new image to the contest thread, or just the new image?
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,815
    edited January 2013

Anyone wishing to post their images to be entered in to the actual contest, please be sure you put your entries in this thread before the contest closes 01/31/2012..Any images not in that thread won't be considered when judging: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14447/

Just thought I would mention to remind everyone since the contest closes tomorrow evening :)

Should we post both the original and new image to the contest thread, or just the new image?

Please post both the original and the rework :)

PS Just bolding and redding so hopefully no one misses that :)

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited January 2013

So, I think I have finally gotten this one ready for the contest. Played with camera a bit a more to achieve a better DoF and did some more stuff in post such as a soft glow.

So, first image is my original airbrush picture, 2nd is today's new revision.

Any thoughts?

Down-the-Toilet-1600-3.jpg
    1131 x 1600 - 612K
    Down-the-Toilet_v1-1600.jpg
    1155 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by Geminii23 on
  • CyonixCyonix Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

This is probably a stupid question I'm about to ask here (and one I think I know the answer to anyways), but I'd rather have an official answer just to be sure: Once we post our entries to the entry thread, we can't change them, right?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

right. That is the idea of the WIP thread. You only move your entry over to the actual contest thread for judging once you are happy with it is Way to go. Once it is there it is considered the official entry.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ud09ud09 Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Thank you~
    I understand. I thought here the contests of the final yard. Thank you good advice on my first challenge.

edited December 1969

Geminii23 and ud09: Wow, those look great to me. Can't really think of anything that needs improvement. Excellent work!

Here's where mine stands, with the improved lighting. I found that the spotlight to which the UberVolume cone is parented was mostly blocked by a column...that explains why her face wasn't adequately illuminated by the spotlight in my last render. Fixed that, and this is the result. I'm not so happy with how the hair looks, but I do have a few tricks up my sleeve as far as that is concerned. ;-) (I've made an effort to learn the ins and outs of hair, and even have a hair tutorial in the works: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5646/)

ultimatevictoria3d.jpg
    618 x 799 - 286K
    edited January 2013

bluemoon said:
    Here's my latest. Back to no postwork.

That looks great Scott, I have tried uber Environment only once and couldn't get it to work as I hoped. It took forever to render as well.

Thanks! Actually right now my scene uses an UberArea light, but no UberEnvironment2. If you want to learn about UberEnvironment, this thread may help: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5320/

For UberArea lights, try this one: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14536/

I've only absorbed a fraction of the stuff in those threads, but (gradually) I'm getting there...

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • ud09ud09 Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 and ud09: Wow, those look great to me. Can't really think of anything that needs improvement. Excellent work!

Scott, i'm glad~ :lol:
    Your work is an inspiration to me. I have been trying focuses on the optical expression.

Thanks~

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    Here's my latest. Back to no postwork.

That looks great Scott, I have tried uber Environment only once and couldn't get it to work as I hoped. It took forever to render as well.

Thanks! Actually right now my scene uses an UberArea light, but no UberEnvironment2. If you want to learn about UberEnvironment, this thread may help: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5320/

For UberArea lights, try this one: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14536/

I've only absorbed a fraction of the stuff in those threads, but (gradually) I'm getting there...

Your render looks great! Hair and lighting are really the hardest thing for me in any of my projects. I just started watching all the Dreamlight tutorials so I will be practicing on some new projects soon.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

Here's where mine stands, with the improved lighting. I found that the spotlight to which the UberVolume cone is parented was mostly blocked by a column...that explains why her face wasn't adequately illuminated by the spotlight in my last render. Fixed that, and this is the result. I'm not so happy with how the hair looks, but I do have a few tricks up my sleeve as far as that is concerned. ;-) (I've made an effort to learn the ins and outs of hair, and even have a hair tutorial in the works: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5646/)

Scott that looks fantastic. I wouldn't touch anything else.

edited December 1969

Don't forget, when you transfer it over to the contest thread you need both the before and after images.

edited December 1969

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the kind words. Frank, if I can't come up with something better, I'll go ahead and submit that one. But I've got some settings in my head that I can't wait to plug into DS once I get back to my rendering computer, because I think there's still room for improvement.

ud09, I'm honored that you consider my work an inspiration! I was actually looking at your render and thinking, "Man, I wish I could do eyes like that!" :lol: And the hair looks awesome, too.

• kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Success! I finally got smart and found where I stashed the backup copies of both images I redid.
    This morning, I was trying to render a second redo, that I didn't post here for feedback because I ran out of time. It has a horse in it. And I kept having an insanely annoying problem. I kept getting a popup saying "optimizing textures 0/3" that wouldn't ever optimize a dang bit of anything. So I'd cancel, then it would go ahead and render the image very nicely... but the bridle on the horse was pure white. No texture. I finally gave up in frustration and went to work. Just got home and tried again. Guess what? The danged thing rendered just fine. Any idea why it did that? Should I just rejoice in my good fortune and not look too closely into why the problem went away?
    Thanks to everyone who commented on my first entry! All feedback is much appreciated.

edited December 1969

Great renders, everybody! For various reasons I have decided to announce my retirement from entering New User Contests, and I won't be entering my own render in this one.

In a few days, I'll be coming up on my one-year DAZ anniversary. Of course it's not just about join date--in my one year I've been able to put in more hours rendering and in the forum than some people do in several years, and in that time I've learned a great deal (thanks in large part to those who have given me advice and support during these contests, and elsewhere on this forum). Just in the course of the current project, I've incorporated UberArea lights, UberVolume, geometry shells, fantom occlusion, and subdivision, and for the first time (I think), lit a scene all on my own, without using a lighting preset made by someone else. Of course I still have a loooong way to go, but I'm at the point where I don't quite feel like a "New User" anymore. Which is not to imply that I consider myself "better" than anyone else, or that I think my renders are better...some of you are natural artists (which I am not), or more technically adept--I think the category of "new user" is something that each of us has to define for ourselves, and in my case I feel that I'm starting to stumble through the early stages of intermediacy. :)

There are other factors as well--one of which is that I don't really have an entry to post. I have a render in progress which I'm very satisfied with--I'll share it when it's finished--but here it is, February already, and I imagine the contest will officially close soon. My last WIP, at minimum, would have needed some postwork, which I haven't done.

I'll definitely be around for future contests, to offer help and advice, and also to submit my own renders for feedback (not as entries). In fact there may be some news about that soon... Best of luck to those who have entered, and congratulations on your progress!

edited December 1969

Yeah, thanks for the reminder Scott.

Contest is now closed. Make sure you have added your entries to the entry thread,

edited December 1969

Finished! I gave it two titles to avoid forcing a single interpretation on it...

Hope you enjoy...I had a lot of fun with this.

Title: Rapture/Apotheosis of Victoria
    Software Used: DAZ Studio 4.5 (no postwork, though it could probably use a bit)
    Not an entry

ultimatevictoria3h.jpg
    565 x 800 - 242K
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

All renders are great, you may proud about you're self.
    great work everyone and good luck :-)

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

The contest is now closed. Good luck everyone

• dee_dubdee_dub Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi is there a non-contest type of gallery new users can post there final renders in? Or are they all theme type galleries? I can't seem to find a generic type gallery. Can somebody direct me to one?

thanks for your time.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

dee_dub said:
    Hi is there a non-contest type of gallery new users can post there final renders in? Or are they all theme type galleries? I can't seem to find a generic type gallery. Can somebody direct me to one?

thanks for your time.

Hi dee_dub for posting your renders go to this Forum http://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/2/ and start yourself your very own Art thread. Name it so that others will know it's for your art or it might become a general art thread that others use also.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to all of the winners! Looking forward to next month.