Where do I put Bryce content?

IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
edited June 2012 in Bryce Discussion

I am working through the artists guide and i can't find a material i need for it called Desert Rock it says

In the Material Presets selection panel, click Planes and Terrains. Another selection of preset materials appears.
Click Desert Rock. (sixth from the left and the third from the top). A red border appears around your selected material.

I have a Terrain with a plains subsection, but no desert rock, is there just one place to put content because i seem to have it in users/documents/daz 3d/bryce/presets
but my default place is on a second drive so d:/daz 3d/bryce/presets and there is a presets folder in the bryce program files folder, so what have i done wrong and how do i put it right?

Post edited by IanTP on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Ugh, I was just going to link you to a thread, where Horo had explained it all, but of course he did it with screen shots, and the old forum archive doesn't display images.

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=182851

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Ugh, I was just going to link you to a thread, where Horo had explained it all, but of course he did it with screen shots, and the old forum archive doesn't display images.

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=182851

That's ok, Cho, i know the workaround for viewing the images, cheers for the link :)

edited December 1969

So basically should i just put everything in the main bryce folder, that's what i'm doing next anyway ;)

edited December 1969

Have done a fresh install to a different location and re-installed the content to the same place, my missing material turned up, it was in terrains/rocky not terrains/plains as per the guide, so frustrating.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

There are many materials from Bryce 4 up in the libraries. With Bryce 6, they were re-arranged when more were added. It may well be that materials do not appear exactly at the same place as in previous versions and tutorials made with earlier versions might not completely match.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    There are many materials from Bryce 4 up in the libraries. With Bryce 6, they were re-arranged when more were added. It may well be that materials do not appear exactly at the same place as in previous versions and tutorials made with earlier versions might not completely match.

I would have thought that the Bryce 6 Artists guide included in B7 would have been accurate tho, esp as it is aimed at beginners, no worries tho, i will continue thru it, cheers for the input :)

• MegarigMegarig Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

I was having a similar issue, but I eventually found the desert rock. I also found that I will probably need a new computer one of these days. This Bryce thing really makes my system look like a dinosaur, LOL!

edited June 2012

I know just waht you mean about that. I still render in B5. When I had this PC built I never got rund to re downloading B6, (backup disc failed) , and I seriously doubt that B7 will do much on this ancient machine (6 years old), although I purchased it when it first came out.

Hopefully someday soon I shall get a new PC, although the idea of reinstalling everything is a bit daunting.

Once the site settles down I hope to have time to contemplate doing it.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I know just waht you mean about that. I still render in B5. When I had this PC built I never got rund to re downloading B6, (backup disc failed) , and I seriously doubt that B7 will do much on this ancient machine (6 years old), although I purchased it when it first came out.

Hopefully someday soon I shall get a new PC, although the idea of reinstalling everything is a bit daunting.

would you need to re-install everything, surely you just copy the content to an external drive and copy it back to the new drive? This what I do when i re-install DS.

edited December 1969

I have a lot of stuff backed up on externals. But Bryce is pernickety. I need to save all my own presets that I have added,.

I will be going from XP to Win7 on the new machine, and some things need to be in different places for install I gather. At the moment on XP you install to prgram files, but it seems Win 7 don't like that.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I have a lot of stuff backed up on externals. But Bryce is pernickety. I need to save all my own presets that I have added,.

I will be going from XP to Win7 on the new machine, and some things need to be in different places for install I gather. At the moment on XP you install to prgram files, but it seems Win 7 don't like that.

Yes thats right, I have Bryce and the content installed on a separate partition, so away from the windows partition.

edited December 1969

Yes I normally used to do that on the machine before this one, which I think was still on Win2k and I had separate partitions.

I will get there eventually, At least I now have the funds put by for the new machine, as long as nothing else crops up in the meantime that is more urgent.

edited December 1969

Yes thats right, I have Bryce and the content installed on a separate partition, so away from the windows partition.

This is an excellent idea! Once you add content to the libraries, consider saving the Presets-folder from time to time. If you ever re-install Bryce into the same location it is now, all you presets will be lost for good (or rather, for bad). There is no warning. In such a case, you'll be very happy to have a backup you can just copy back.

edited December 1969

Horo I am thinking of changing the specs I have drawn up for the new PC, and asking for them to put in a 2nd hard drive, so I can install a lot of my prgram files there, rather than on the main drive. I know that should work with Bryce, as I think that was how I had it set up way back.

Hard te remember exactly, as that PC went to someone else for spares, minus the 2 hasr dives, which are still sitting on one of the shelves here, not connected to any PC.

edited June 2012

I'm a bit of a maniac, I must admit. I have 2 HDs, each one with 3 partitions giving me 6 logical drives. The C drive is reserved for the system. The D for graphics and text programs, including all Bryce versions since 4. E holds the programming languages and network tools and things. F has data files, documents, renders, pictures, etc. G for some backups but mainly for content development and tutorials, H finally has a backup of C. Bryce runs from any drive, if you do it right, it even runs from a memory stick (I always have Bryce in one of my pockets, couldn't live without it :)

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I will have to work out how to make partitions, when I get the new PC. I liked the one with partitons on it, did make organising things much easier. Trouble was someone else set it up for me. I have been a bit lax in letting people who are "experts" do things for me, and now of course, having moved well away, I don't see them often.

I now live in Wales, my son is in Ireland and himself's nephew is still down near London. Was alwasy one or the other of those two who do a lot of things for me, they liked messing around with things. Nephew has his own FixITpc business, and My son is now doing a Bsc at Dublin Uni in IT and a teaching degree as well. Just finished his first year there and doing well, although he is the oldest in the class, which is all "Mature students" rather than school leavers.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

would you need to re-install everything, surely you just copy the content to an external drive and copy it back to the new drive? This what I do when i re-install DS.

See, just like I thought - my computer IS a dinosaur, LOL! My system is also about six years old, and when I built it, I put it together with some of the intensive 3D games (that were out at the time) in mind. I've upgraded the video card probably three times, but the memory was maxed out from the start, as was the CPU. I have my eye on getting my wife and I both new systems soon (one of these days), because now I'm doing the DS4 thing, and Bryce too, if I can get a handle on it, and my wife does video editing and graphic design.

As far as reinstalling Bryce on a new system, the software is one thing - you can just reinstall it, but you will want to make sure all your projects and content are backed up. I'm sure you know that already. I have two hard drives on my system, the main one split into two partitions (one for Windows and programs, one for files). I actually wanted to put DS4 onto the second partition to save space, but I had an issue with the content manager not working right, so I had to install it onto C, and now everything works. Now I just have to mind that I don't fill up the rest of C with content, LOL! I also put Bryce onto C, so...

edited December 1969

I have a 2TB drive in the desktop, split into 2, 300GB for windows and programs and the rest for data and DS content, Bryce and its content is also installed on the data partition to keep it all together.

edited December 1969

My main drive (120GB) is an older one that's actually moved from a older system into the one I have now (recycled, basically). I also have another 250GB drive that just has a lot of games, video editing files and stuff on it. I would've actually liked to use that drive for Daz, but then there was the issue with having Daz on one drive and the content manager service running in windows on the other drive, which is when I noticed I needed to put it all in one place. Ah, well...

edited December 1969

just did a reply to this and got kicked off the forum!!

Anyway, I have daz on the c: drive, but the content is out of the way on the data partition, so if i ever re-install windows or daz i don't need to re-install any of the content ;)

edited December 1969

I have to admit II have got into the habit of coping my post (if it is an involved one) just in case, so if the hamsteres do go wonky while posting I can just paste it in again.

edited December 1969

Doing that myself now, strange, the forum has been pretty ok for me till today.

edited December 1969

It got quite wobbly for a bit last night, but we knew that was cos they were doing some serious work on things, well, we surmised that was what caused the slow down.

Today I am getting just normal Saturday slowness all over, think my dodgy broadband gets a little slow most weekends, for some reason.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yeah, I will have to work out how to make partitions, when I get the new PC. I liked the one with partitons on it, did make organising things much easier.

There is Partition Wizard http://www.partitionwizard.com/ a free tool which is so easy to use even a dummy like me could make it work. I used to have Partition Magic but it doesn't work on Win 7 anymore though it wasn't free.

edited December 1969

And again, thanks Horo. I shall make a note of that, and hopethey soon manage to get everything sorted out on this website, so I will be able to go back to doing some of the stuff I enjoy doing instead of what we are mostly doing now, which is taking up a lot of time, as you can see from my post count already, and I am not the only one on the forum team up that high.

edited December 1969

When i do a fresh install of windows to a bare drive, i choose to set-up an initial partition for windows, in this case it was 500GB and once windows is in I use Disk Management located in Administrative Tools to create or resize any other partitions I need. :)

partition.png
    800 x 572 - 117K
  • adambarton3323adambarton3323 Posts: 1
    edited July 2017
    Horo said:

chohole said:

Yeah, I will have to work out how to make partitions, when I get the new PC. I liked the one with partitons on it, did make organising things much easier.

There is Partition Wizard http://www.partitionwizard.com/ a free tool which is so easy to use even a dummy like me could make it work. I used to have Partition Magic but it doesn't work on Win 7 anymore though it wasn't free.

Thanks this tool is amazing when it comes to external hard drive partitioning. 

Post edited by adambarton3323 on