morphs and parenting

mhscspomhscspo Posts: 101
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I applied a morph to the hoist hook and then tried to make the rescue basket a child but to no avail, notice the hook is just below the helicopter in the second photo and the basket is still up. is it possible to make a morphed object a parent to another object.

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

you might find the parenting is associated with the hotspot so animating the hotspot might be the go
    rather than the verticie

just a thought

err I mean hotpoint

• mhscspomhscspo Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

thanks, unfortunately it didn't work:-/:smirk:

edited June 2012

oh :)

well animating the hotpoint works for me sorry,- as far as moving a child object
    but then again, that is just about the same work as animating the objects themselves Iguess.
    And you can't relate a hotpoint animation to a morph automatically.

unless...

Fenric has a plug in ERC which might help?

edit or just use a bone?

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

I have fenrick, i'll give it a try..

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI mhscspo :)

A morph will only change the shape of an object.
    It won't change the position.

When you parent one object to another object , whaty you're doing is connecting the positions tohether, so tht the child follows the position of the parent.

With a morph, the Positions of the "parent and child objects" don't change, only the shape of the parent is changing

Normally, you would either create a model with Bones,. and then parent the child to a specific bone,. as Head Wax suggested.

You could also make the parent and child into one single vertex model, then delete and re-create the morph to lower the hoist and basket

• edited December 1969

did you make the Chopper model?

I have made a few propeller aircraft in my days and have never liked any from of PROPELLER even with a motion blur! I have always used a Circle PLANE with a transparency done out of PS.

edited December 1969

did you make the Chopper model?

I have made a few propeller aircraft in my days and have never liked any from of PROPELLER even with a motion blur! I have always used a Circle PLANE with a transparency done out of PS.

I got the model from The 3DStudio and the rescue basket from PerspectX, I reworked the blades so that they would flex (thanks to 3dage), and added morphs to various parts of the chopper. I just can't find a way to parent anything after having morphs applied, I tried "headwax and 3dage's point of view but unfortunately nothing worked. The only other solution for me was to do the animation myself and use NLA clips.

edited December 1969

hya

well I just ran it through carrra

eg of what you want to do
    assuming the rope with hook is straight
    just bone the rope with eg two bones
    assuming the second bone moves the hook verticies area
    (as 3dage suggested) child the basket to the second bone
    works fine
    you can constrain the bone movement to slider or shaft etc
    my preference normally is morphs but here a bone is the weapon of choice