JANUARY 2013 New Users Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

This one uses a spotlight (yellow) as a key light, and a distant light (blue) as a rim light. I'll experiment with 3-point and 7-point versions, and ultimately I'd love to do some volumetric lighting, which I've never tried before.

How do you do volumetric lighting in Studio? I love it in Bryce, and was just working on something the other day that would greatly benefit from volumetric lighting. I couldn't get everything from Studio into Bryce without a major crash, though, so I gave up.
    There's something called UberVolume, but I'm not sure how to use it myself! If I figure it out, I'll let you know...

This is an alternative that comes highly recommended, but I don't own it: http://www.daz3d.com/atmospheric-effects-cameras-for-daz-studio

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

I see the feet may be off slightly but this seems to look far better.

Power_Fist_New_3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 261K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    I see the feet may be off slightly but this seems to look far better.
    I see nothing wrong with the Feet. I think this is the best one by Far.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

Yep I agree this one is the best

• gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I worked on it I hope it is getting better let me know what you think
    thank you in advance

tank_p2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 302K
    edited December 1969

Much better. I'm drawn to the figure now

edited January 2013

I would like to know if the lighting is better but for some reason when I move it over, it looks like it is on printed paper

Post edited by gp139 on
    edited January 2013

I would like to know if the lighting is better but for some reason when I move it over, it looks like it is on printed paper

Not sure what you mean about printed paper, but yes, personally I think the lighting is better. I might like to see it a bit brighter, though...

I like the lighting in Zamuel's latest version, also.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

you have really improved you're image, it's come to live now good work. :-)
    Unfortunately, I can say nothing about the light 8-/
    edited January 2013

Frank0314 said:
    It looks really good Scott. Yes I would add an Uber light. You'll get better results.

Thank you...I think it worked:

(still want to do some tweaking, though)

ultimatevictoria2d.jpg
    618 x 800 - 329K
    edited January 2013

Here's a variant with UberVolume. Not very good yet, I think, but I'm excited by the potential!

@sithkitten, I used this tutorial, for the most part: http://www.omnifreaker.com/index.php?title=UberVolume For some reason I had to increase the "Z Scale" of the "UberVolume Cone 1" (what the tutorial refers to as "SpotLight 1 Volume") to 300%. Almost got stuck a couple of times but I ended up figuring it out...if you can't get it to work, let me know and I'll try to help. :)

ultimatevictoria2e.jpg
    618 x 800 - 302K
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783
    edited January 2013

Wow lots of wonderful artwork here. I was sick and out for a bit and I come back to all kinds of stuff to look at :) I would comment but it looks like you all were well taken care of while I was out but if anyone still has any questions or would like some tips on something please let me know and point me to which post :) ATM it looks like everyone is doing really wonderful :)

I will make mention of a couple things towards the end here of the thread...

Scott: Actually I think I prefer the one without the uber Volume. It may be it needs turned down? a little but seems like it kinda washes her out to me (granted personal opinion and you could be going for kinda a harsh light coming through thing in which case then I think you hit that) For me though I think it may be too harsh. I really like the previous one ....the shadows and the tonal quality. Very nice. Not that the other isn't though, I just think you are losing detail where its very bright and then some where it is also dim. If you prefer that one, I would back off the light just a little and see how that looks :)

dune411412: Very nicely done and I can see how hard you have been working on this :) I do agree though I think it needs to be a little brighter. Over all its a little dark unless you are going for somewhat of an early eventing look. I think for early evening the lighting works well though if that's what you are going for you may want to up the contrast a little in postwork possibly just to let the colors themselves stand apart from each other a little more. Keep up all the hard work! :)

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    It looks really good Scott. Yes I would add an Uber light. You'll get better results.

Thank you...I think it worked:

(still want to do some tweaking, though)
    Scott this looks really good :-)

edited December 1969

Thank you, Ann and Sasje! I agree, the one without UberVolume is better. I do think I can improve it using UberVolume, but I haven't achieved that yet. Here are a couple of experiments in postwork. The first takes the UberVolume one layered at 30% opacity over the other. The second lowers the opacity to 20% and adds a softglow effect. Am I headed in the right direction?

I'm starting to think that if I do use the UberVolume cone, I need to have the character staring directly into it, in order to preserve or reinforce the emotional and thematic impact I'm looking for...I'll experiment with that later.

ultimatevictoria2e-pw2.jpg
    618 x 800 - 315K
    ultimatevictoria2e-pw1.jpg
    618 x 800 - 319K
    edited December 1969

Yeah I think that is going in the right direction...also I agree looking into it may make it more dramatic or if you want to keep the Point of view you could try widening the cone for that light some as well so it's spreading out more and more over distance which tends to be how light works as it gets further it gets fairly wide usually and since she is a fair bit a way from the original source that may help as well :)

• CyonixCyonix Posts: 210
    edited January 2013

A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!

I finally managed to put the Mass Effect Trilogy down long enough to work on my entry. I'm planning on re-rendering it as I didn't realize until it finished that I had the UE quality settings pretty low (I was doing some quick test renders last night and forgot to turn the quality settings back up...)

First one is the original, second one is the improved version.

Phantasie_Redux_WIP.jpg
    560 x 800 - 305K
    Phantasie_(Original).jpg
    560 x 800 - 290K
    Post edited by Cyonix on
    edited December 1969

@Cyonix: with one exception, I like your new one a lot more than the original, which was already quite nice. :) That exception is the way the light falls on her face.

Here's my latest. Back to no postwork.

ultimatevictoria2g.jpg
    618 x 800 - 330K
    edited December 1969

I really like that one Scott

edited December 1969

Cyonix said:
    A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!

I finally managed to put the Mass Effect Trilogy down long enough to work on my entry. I'm planning on re-rendering it as I didn't realize until it finished that I had the UE quality settings pretty low (I was doing some quick test renders last night and forgot to turn the quality settings back up...)

First one is the original, second one is the improved version.

Cyonix that look great.

• edited December 1969

Here's my latest. Back to no postwork.

That looks great Scott, I have tried uber Environment only once and couldn't get it to work as I hoped. It took forever to render as well.

• pfmnelson2012pfmnelson2012 Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

Hi, all

Been down with the flu for the last 11 days. Did this for fun an hour a day etc. Didn't get to the small animation I had planned but will someday - just him raising his hand and her shaking her head.

Caption was to read
    "But she looks so much like you, Cath!"
    "I don't know Michael, all I see is that our hair is a bit alike."

The five acrylics in the next room are my attempts a few years ago at following along with TV art instructor Jerry Yarnell - so the compositions are his, brush(mess) is mine.

Like I said I did this as a fun extra to my actual entry in the competition of "Goth Dress Anchored". There are so many things wrong with this that you have to eniee meanee to start - Comment if you wish.

Just want to say Great Work to all the competitors and thanks to the moderators!

The_Goth_Dress_Gallery.jpg
    1569 x 853 - 705K
    edited December 1969

just a note on this months contest it was nice to go back and see the work I did in the first contest I entered and then improve on that.
    (I hope)
    this was a good contest and I look forward to having more like this. I enjoyed it.

by the way thanks to all of you for the help

• kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Hello everyone, I've crawled back out from under my rock! I didn't even have a valid excuse to vanish, like the flu. I just had one of those dead spots in my creativity where no ideas would come out at all. But I did creative things all day yesterday, and I feel better now. :-)

There's something called UberVolume, but I'm not sure how to use it myself! If I figure it out, I'll let you know...

This is an alternative that comes highly recommended, but I don't own it: http://www.daz3d.com/atmospheric-effects-cameras-for-daz-studio

UberVolume I've heard of, but never even gone close to. Those atmospheric effects cameras I went out and bought after my frustrating experience with the massive Bryce crashes, but I haven't quite got the hang of 'em yet. They look like a lot of fun, though. Think I might get very ambitious and work on a second entry, one that also desperately needs atmospheric effects. And better lighting. And depth of field... You get the picture. :)

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited January 2013

I guess this would be my entry for the Past and Present contest.

The original (first image) was airbrushed nearly 20 years ago. The new one was made entirely with DAZ and a few post tweaks in Photoshop.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Down-the-Toilet-1600.jpg
    1131 x 1600 - 1M
    Down-the-Toilet_v1-1600.jpg
    1155 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by Geminii23 on
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:

The original (first image) was airbrushed nearly 20 years ago. The new one was made entirely with DAZ and a few post tweaks in Photoshop.

I love it, very impressive! :-) Only minor issue I see is that his hair appears to be growing through/out of the tentacle thing that's grabbing his head.
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:

I love it, very impressive! :-) Only minor issue I see is that his hair appears to be growing through/out of the tentacle thing that's grabbing his head.

I think I see what you mean. I was trying to make the hair look like it is being smashed and pushed from the tentacle/claw placement but DAZ didn't make this part easy for me. It would be awesome if we could get hair that had some sort of collision detection to it. I will need to bring this into Photoshop to see if I can fix it that way. I also really have struggled with the right camera angle to match the one from the original.

edited December 1969

Ugh, I finally got the lighting pretty much to my satisfaction, but after saving and re-opening, it was rendering much too bright. Took me a while to figure out that at some point while adding additional cameras, I must have clicked the "new direct light" button without realizing it! Now that I've figured that out, I'm back on track...will post a new update tonight or tomorrow.

edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:

So here is the latest version. Tried cleaning up the hair problem in Photoshop. Not sure how well this turned out though.

Down-the-Toilet-1600-2.jpg
    1131 x 1600 - 703K
  • ud09ud09 Posts: 7
    edited January 2013

Is this entry for the Past and Present contest?
    I gess...

First image is DOF rendering works by post.
    And second image is new rendering works(change texture, lighting..) by post (retouching hair, eyelashes..etc).

I try to represent the golden time mood of light coming from windows. But difficult...

Any reply would be glad. Good day~

02.jpg
    800 x 600 - 216K
    01.jpg
    779 x 584 - 227K
    Post edited by ud09 on
    edited January 2013

Anyone wishing to post their images to be entered in to the actual contest, please be sure you put your entries in this thread before the contest closes 01/31/2012..Any images not in that thread won't be considered when judging:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14447/

Just thought I would mention to remind everyone since the contest closes tomorrow evening :)

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on