Bump map, Textures etc

simon_2213780simon_2213780 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hey Guys

I am trying to change a few texture settings in Daz 4.5, my first question is how do I do this, something as simple as changing the scale of the bump map, I cannot seem to do.

Also, how do I set up my preview so that any changes I make are reflected in the scene, its weird that I can only see what textures look like after a full render?

The images show the shader I am using, and how it displays in the scene, I only see the texture after I've rendered the scene and that takes agggeesss.

Please help someone.

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

simon said:
    Hey Guys

I am trying to change a few texture settings in Daz 4.5, my first question is how do I do this, something as simple as changing the scale of the bump map, I cannot seem to do.

Also, how do I set up my preview so that any changes I make are reflected in the scene, its weird that I can only see what textures look like after a full render?

The images show the shader I am using, and how it displays in the scene, I only see the texture after I've rendered the scene and that takes agggeesss.

Please help someone.

A lot will depend on if it's an actual shader or 'just' a set of standard DAZ shader materials. If the latter you can mess with tiling (but that affects all the maps on the surface(s) selected). If the former, then unless there's a dial to permit modifying the tiling you might have to delve inot the actual shader mixer definition and see what can be done 'under the covers'.

• simon_2213780simon_2213780 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@SimonJM

Ok, how do I know the difference between the 'actual shader' and a 'Standard Daz shader' material? I'm pretty useful in Photoshop, so I was hoping maybe I could make my own textures, do you know of any resources on how to do this.

And is it possible to see my changes of the material affected in the preview window?

Thanks for your response btw.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Simon :)

If you look at the list of textures / (shader list) then you'll see if it's using an image, or a procedural function.

In Photoshop (or any other image editor), you can open that texture map,. and most products have a texturing template ( black and white wire-frame) available on the product page, which you can use as a base (guide) layer, to add /paint your own colours/textures.

Normally, a texture for a clothing item , or figure skin, has a colour (image) texture map, and a grey-scale bump map, which both Fit the item perfectly, using the model's UV's, but these are not seamlessly tiling textures. they're normally made from multiple high-res photographic images compiled into the models UV template. (texturing template) then saved out as a single image texture map.

Procedural shaders use Mathematical functions to apply colours, patterns, fractal noise,.. etc.
    so those can be adjusted to increase the scale of the pattern or bump effect.

Your preview window shows the textures in lower resolution and in Open GL, so it's limited.
    you can use the "spot render" or (area render) tool, to render a small portion of your item, instead of rendering the full scene.

Daz Studio has a Photoshop Bridge (plug-in), which allows you to send the model and textures from DS, and edit the textures in photoshop, then send the results back to Daz Studio.

Hope that makes sense and helps :)

edited December 1969

That was amazingly helpful, thank you so much for that detailed explanation, now it all makes sense.

so I was looking at this item in the store, is this the kind of shader that I would be able to customise scale the noise etc. http://www.daz3d.com/software/shaders-materials/hardcore-utility-shaders-ds

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

No problem, we're all here to help and learn from each other. :)

I don't have those Super-suit shaders you pointed to, (I use Carrara more than Daz Studio) but they're probably DS procedural shaders, rather than a single texture map, since the super-suit has multiple shading domains,(areas of the model which are assigned with separate materials / colours)

for example, the black suit could simply be a black colour, (easy to change) with a pattern bump,.. the green "piping" areas are a separate shading domain, and those can be changed to any colour you want

The Super-suit is split into many different shading domains, so it's relatively simple to change the colours or textures used,. but there are lot's of shading domains in that item,. so it can be time consuming if you're making your own shaders, or just changing colours.

If you have the Super-suit already, you should experiment with changing some of the colours, and maybe try loading in a tiling texture map and see how it works.

edited December 1969

Good advice, I'll try that I can't wait to finish this image, it's looking quite good so far.

Thanks 3DAGE