RENDER ISSUES

dash2128dash2128 Posts: 645
edited December 1969 in New Users

i just started having issues at the rendering stage. (Possibly due to antiquated hardware.)

Previously I was able to render stills, but now (at the half-way point), the process stops with a message that informs me that there is not enough memory to complete the render process.

If I had a better idea of what was wrong...or how to go about solving the problem- at least until I can replace my hardware with something newer- that would help.

My operating systems are XP (desktop) and Vista (laptop).

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

dash2128 said:
    i just started having issues at the rendering stage. (Possibly due to antiquated hardware.)

Previously I was able to render stills, but now (at the half-way point), the process stops with a message that informs me that there is not enough memory to complete the render process.

If I had a better idea of what was wrong...or how to go about solving the problem- at least until I can replace my hardware with something newer- that would help.

My operating systems are XP (desktop) and Vista (laptop).

Full system specs for each machine...CPU, RAM, video card...

• dash2128dash2128 Posts: 645
    edited January 2013

Desktop specs: Sad:

Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion
    MD Sempron (tm) Processor
    3400+
    1.80 GHz, 1.93 GB of RAM
    Windows XP
    32-bit

Laptop specs:
    Toshiba Satellite L505D
    AMD Athlon (tm) X2 Duel-Core QL- 65 2.10 GHz
    3.00 GB RAM
    32-bit operating system

Right now, I'm just trying to produce stills. I was hoping that what I had could at least do that much till i upgraded.

I also wouldn't mind knowing what kind of system i should plan for when considering what to get in order to efficiently run Daz and Bryce when I get a new system. I never planned on using software like Daz when I purchased my 2 present systems, the newest being...maybe 4 or 5 years old.

Post edited by dash2128 on
    edited January 2013

Forget trying to run 4.5 on the desktop...just not going to happen. At 2 GB of RAM with what looks to be a 7+ yr old low end processor, it doesn't have enough to load XP and the program with enough left over to load a model (maybe untextured) and textures, let alone a simple scene.

The laptop should get you at least a simple scene,...but not much more.

Four or more cores, i5 or higher (or AMD PILEDRIVER series), with 8 GB or more RAM, dedicated Nvidia or AMD graphics (needed for UI, but not rendering)...with a 64 bit version of Windows.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited January 2013

Thanks for the information.

I actually got a couple dozen stills rendered before I started having problems, so I figured I could run on what I had for awhile. This weekend the trouble began, and I suspected that I was not going to get as far as I thought.

Looks like I'll need to start planning for a major upgrade.

(Hope I can import my products onto a new system after I set it up. I've already got a lot of purchases.)

ONE QUESTION: If I upgrade the RAM on the 3.00 GB (RAM) laptop, would that help until I upgrade?

Post edited by dash2128 on
    edited December 1969

Yes, but the most you can do is 4 GB, which would give you between 2.25 and 3.0 GB usable...as Windows will reserve the top 1 GB for its own use.

edited December 1969

That's good to know, though. Thank you again for your help. !!!!