how to smooth clothing holes

edited December 1969 in New Users

I watched the tutorial
scene/select shirt/edit/apply smoothing modifier/Parameters/Mesh Smoothing/Smoothing Iterations/Collision Iterations

firsts time I tried it workd - sweater holes vanished.
now I cannot replicate the fix.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Have you watched this video by DAZ on YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBGzfNgfdyo

• edited December 1969

yes, thanks, that's the video I watched.
    first try it worked.
    now I cannot remove the hole in the waist area of the sweater...hmmm

edited December 1969

I almost never use this. Have you tried turning up the Iterations?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

You can only have one collision item, the poke through you are getting is from the trousers not Genesis.
    You could try changing the collision item to the trousers and see if that works.

edited December 1969

I didn't notice that SD, thank you. Looks like that is the problem. It is a function I hardly ever use, but it is a great idea when you need it.

• edited January 2013

You can only have one collision item, the poke through you are getting is from the trousers not Genesis.
    You could try changing the collision item to the trousers and see if that works.

thanks - I did these steps
    scene/js pants/edit/apply smoothing modifier/parameters/

the collision item says Genesis (as it does in the tutorial video)
    when I change it to js pants, it saves and says 'none'
    changing the smoothing & collision iterations, there is no change to the hole.

Jimmy, if you dont use this function, how do you avoid getting holes when you clothe the people?

Post edited by ayurvedahc_08ecc05d54 on
    edited December 1969

I don't get pokethrough very often, and when I do, i usually hide the underlying body part. You are putting a clothing item on top of another one, that is the problem really. If these items are made to go together, then there would be morphs to gt rid of the poke through.

What clothing items are you using, and I will see if I can get it to work. Also, have you done a render to see if the poke through is still there?

• edited December 1969

I don't get pokethrough very often, and when I do, i usually hide the underlying body part. You are putting a clothing item on top of another one, that is the problem really. If these items are made to go together, then there would be morphs to gt rid of the poke through.

What clothing items are you using, and I will see if I can get it to work. Also, have you done a render to see if the poke through is still there?

I took the basic genesis male and added wardrobe shirt and wardrobe js pants.
    what do you mean 'putting clothing item on top of another one' ?
    the clothing is put on top of the figure - - what is it you do differently? Im all for a simpler way to build clothed figures ;)

yes the render still shows the holes

edited December 1969

I took the basic genesis male and added wardrobe shirt and wardrobe js pants.
    what do you mean ‘putting clothing item on top of another one’ ?
    the clothing is put on top of the figure - - what is it you do differently? Im all for a simpler way to build clothed figures

yes the render still shows the holes

I don't know what you mean by Wardrobe Shirt. The JS Pants I have, but where does the shirt come from?

What do I mean by putting one clothing item on top of another?

If you have a figure dresses in a shirt, and say, a jacket, then the two would need to go together. Either the shirt will have morphs so that you can hide parts of it, or the Jacket will have a morph which makes the jacket slightly larger to accomodate the shirt under it.

In general, you can't put one clothing item on top of another unless they were designed that way, or you can easily hide parts that poke through. That is what this smoothing modifier is for.

Is this shirt dyanamic? Did you need to use the Dynamic Clothing Control to load it onto Genesis? I don;t use the Wardrobe pane at all, so I have no idea what the shirt is. Did it come with the free Genesis stuff.

Nevermind, I found the shirt I think, see image below. You need to select the TShirt, and then go to the Parameters pane, fond the TShirt morphs, and use the one called FBMExpandWaist. That will move the bottom hem of the TShirt out a bit, and no need for Smoothing.

Untitled-1.jpg
    762 x 840 - 232K
  • edited December 1969

You need to select the TShirt, and then go to the Parameters pane, fond the TShirt morphs, and use the one called FBMExpandWaist. That will move the bottom hem of the TShirt out a bit, and no need for Smoothing.

Brilliant Jimmy!
    If i get time I'll try to make a video tutorial of this.

edited December 1969

Super, I'm glad that worked for you. Morphs are really the answer for most things like that, always look there first.

If i get time I’ll try to make a video tutorial of this.

Any tutorials are always welcome, best wishes.

• edited December 1969

video tutorial created - how to post? it is in mp4 (youtube format)

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

If it's in Youtube format, wouldn't the easiest thing be to just post it on Youtube and post the link...?

• edited January 2013

If it's in Youtube format, wouldn't the easiest thing be to just post it on Youtube and post the link...?

yes I suppose it would...lol...thought daz would want to have it on their site if deemed useful.

here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvWlhkP_m3A&feature=share&list=UUquJkN3oiBvXy2W1DL4qirw

though the screen is a bit fuzzy - now I have to learn how to make the demo sharper - on the computer it looks fine (created in camtasia so I have to ask them how to upload sharp video). In the meantime, hope this helps.

Post edited by ayurvedahc_08ecc05d54 on