Measurements, is it possible?

richard66richard66 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Is it possible to model by measurement? If I want a cube that is 9 x 6 x 3.5 can it be done?

Is it legal to as to hire help modeling this project?
I just need some computer components that I can move around as I want in the model.

Comments

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Eh! ?????????????????????

Need the above clarified a touch please.

• richard66richard66 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

RedSquare said:

Eh! ?????????????????????

Need the above clarified a touch please.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to say something like…

I have looked on Elance and a few other sites for freelancers using Hexagon; needless to say I am trying this myself because I found none. I am in need of someone that can apply images to cubes (seems simple in the tutorial but I get a complete mess) and able to scale objects to perfection. This is the important part.

I will provide the images (unless they prefer to get their own) and measurements. Main goal is accurate measurement on every item. I am using Hex to redesign a computer chassis and need the computer component models to insure precise fit.

I used Hex a few years ago and did some work on my own so I came back to it, but I have either forgotten everything I learned then or it has changed in the recent version.

Example of what I am doing, likely take some of you seconds to do this one. Motherboard is 12” x 10.7” x .3” cube then apply image to surface. Save in a format I can open with hex 2.5.
    If you want to show off a little LOL great but I am not rich by any means so be nice with quote.

What I mean by legal, if I were to actually make the above statement would it get me band from the site?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited January 2013

You don;t need to use a scale for this. Make a cube like shown below X = 12, Y = 3 and Z = 10

As long as the ratio is concerned, it is correct. Just pretend that it is inches. The cube is in the 3D world, so it doesn't even exist never mind have correct dimensions.

To apply your image to the surface, got ot the UV and Paint tab, use the icon on the toolbar called 'Cubic Projection', click on it, and it offers you to make All sides the same, opposite sides the same, or all six faces to be different. If you only want the image on the top face, select the end one, to map all six faces.

Create a Shding Domain for the top face, and then apply your texture which would need to have a ratio of 12 x 10

If you need any more help, just ask.

Untitled-1.jpg
    1152 x 864 - 327K
    Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
    edited December 1969

total noob. maybe one day i will get this :(

hexfubar.png
    640 x 512 - 194K
    edited December 1969

I can't really see what you are doing there, the image is very poor quality. Don;t worry about the image size when posting to the forums, the software can resize it, the users can click to see the full image.

What is the size of the image that you are trying to apply. Right click on the image icon, and look in Properties > Details, that will give you the size in pixels.

Did you do the UV Mapping before applying the image, and did you creaate a Shading Domain and then apply the texture?

edited December 1969

Four steps, I know i can resize the image on the overlay but I don't remember how. Everything i do just messes it up more.

hex4.png
    1280 x 1024 - 446K
    hex3.png
    1280 x 1024 - 197K
    hex2.png
    1280 x 1024 - 205K
    hex1.png
    1280 x 1024 - 165K
    edited December 1969

It looks like you have not created a Shading Domain first, but you are doing well :)

Select the top face on the cube, and then go to the Shading Domains tab, and hit 'New'. Once that has been created, apply a your material to that domain, and it should only appear on the top face.

Untitled-1.jpg
    1152 x 864 - 314K
    edited January 2013

Sorry, I have gone a bit astray in my instructions. When you go to the UV Map stage, just select the one big face, and then create a shading domain for the top face only, and apply your image.

That should get all of the image on just that one face. It's been a while since I have done it myself

Untitled-1.jpg
    760 x 755 - 227K
    Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

And if you really need the precision you've hinted at in the first post, then Hex is the wrong software for the job. You would really need some CAD software...

edited December 1969

does the happy dance...
    thank you. that was a true task LOL.

like i said. a few seconds for you, hours for me. cannot wait to see what i come up with on the video cards. there are 5 sides that need images :(

happydance.png
    1280 x 1024 - 560K
    edited December 1969

That looks really well, although your MoBo could do with a bit of memory :)

Well done, you'll soon get the hang of it, you seem to be a very quick learner.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    And if you really need the precision you've hinted at in the first post, then Hex is the wrong software for the job. You would really need some CAD software...

at $875 a cad program will have to wait. for one or two projects a year hex will do. I understand where you are coming from, but if I can be within a few mm I am sure I can fudge the actual build. Speaking of mm, can hex be converted to metric?

edited December 1969

I’m just tired of making cardboard cutouts to mark and make this work. Thinking I can do this here. See what I like and don’t like move things around and build off that. Right now I have 3k in computer parts sitting in a box waiting for a home. But at least with this I can save the models and reuse them later, cardboard cutouts don’t last long and never work well, you cannot move them around as much.

edited December 1969

You can set it to mm or inches, and a few more as shown below, but I don't think it makes any difference to the size in the viewport anyway.

There is a manual in the Docs folder which may tell you a bit more about it.

Untitled-1.jpg
    372 x 846 - 156K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Yeah, if are doing it just for mock-ups, Hex should be fine...but, you've left a great opening...you don't need to spend $900 on CAD software.

For those times where you need CAD but don't want to spend a bundle...

http://free-cad.sourceforge.net/

Open Source CAD software that's loaded with features (more than I ever really need...for those few times I can't do what I want in Blender, Hex or some other modeller..)

edited December 1969

Good to know, thank you