Old content stored aside appears in new install DAZ 4.5

manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi ev'one :-) About 2 years ago, I wanted to try out DAZ 3 or 4 on my netbook. Somehow, something bugged, or it really lagged, I don't remember but I never used it. Though, I never deleted all the files properly, it wasn't executable any more, but some content was still there (??). There was Victoria 4, a firefly, some fairy poses I think ~

Yesterday before I installed the new DAZ 4.5, I moved this content aside on my D: drive, like, it might come handy sometimes. Then I installed DAZ 4.5, which seems to run, bit laggy but usable. Now I thought I could try to copy the old saved content in - but on the D: drive, all folder were empty! I first got annoyed, then noticed, somehow all those files are now inside the C:\Program Files\DAZ\Studio\content folder under their own folder (and not in my DAZ user folder) , without me even touching them... .

- why / how did it happen anyway (does DAZ search for files to update even on another drive??).
- the files aren't .duf, but .daz - can I still use them?
- as far as I know, I didn't see them in the content panel - but I might have missed it. Where would they be?

Please simple answers/explanations, I'm not very versed - I'm just mixing my knowledge of a bit 3Dmax & Cinema 4D from school ~5 years ago, and a bit Sims 2, to understand how DAZ 4.5 works ~ total noob here! :red:

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited January 2013

Hi ev'one :-) About 2 years ago, I wanted to try out DAZ 3 or 4 on my netbook. Somehow, something bugged, or it really lagged, I don't remember but I never used it. Though, I never deleted all the files properly, it wasn't executable any more, but some content was still there (??). There was Victoria 4, a firefly, some fairy poses I think ~

Yesterday before I installed the new DAZ 4.5, I moved this content aside on my D: drive, like, it might come handy sometimes. Then I installed DAZ 4.5, which seems to run, bit laggy but usable. Now I thought I could try to copy the old saved content in - but on the D: drive, all folder were empty! I first got annoyed, then noticed, somehow all those files are now inside the C:\Program Files\DAZ\Studio\content folder under their own folder (and not in my DAZ user folder) , without me even touching them... .

- why / how did it happen anyway (does DAZ search for files to update even on another drive??).
    - the files aren't .duf, but .daz - can I still use them?
    - as far as I know, I didn't see them in the content panel - but I might have missed it. Where would they be?

Please simple answers/explanations, I'm not very versed - I'm just mixing my knowledge of a bit 3Dmax & Cinema 4D from school ~5 years ago, and a bit Sims 2, to understand how DAZ 4.5 works ~ total noob here! :red:

The files there are from the old installation of D/S3. Installing D/S4.5 does not move any content from one place to another. It is not searching to update any content either.

Did you check the folders before copying them? Either they were already empty or something happened.

If you still have your installer for D/S3, the 2 programs can be installed on the same computer. Then you would get back the lost content.

edit: :-) OR you could also "click here" and download some old free content such as Victoria 3.
    On the page, use the Direct download link underneath the big green one [that's for a download helper, unless you want to use that]
    File is 69.4mb p5free_content.zip

The "Content" folder is now called "My Library". Direct the installers to "My Library" and in D/S4.5 they are found in the Content Library under Poser files.

Post edited by patience55 on
  • manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395
    edited December 1969

The files there are from the old installation of D/S3. Installing D/S4.5 does not move any content from one place to another. It is not searching to update any content either.

Did you check the folders before copying them? Either they were already empty or something happened.
    Hmm.. Before I moved the old folder, the files were there, but there was some alert about a DAZ folder being a duplicate as I moved the files. That's why I was annoyed, I didn't pay attention and cancelled the moving - if I had copied I'd still have the original. But then I thought it was pure luck, since they obviously hadn't been deleted in the move, but deplaced by DAZ installer ~

If you still have your installer for D/S3, the 2 programs can be installed on the same computer. Then you would get back the lost content.Gotta check if it's available already since those files are there.. One way or another, seems I've been lucky. Btw, I found out .daz files are the old format of previous versions, so I guess it can be read by 4.5 as well.. Else I'll check more help threads/FAQ.

edit: :-) OR you could also "click here" and download some old free content such as Victoria 3.
    On the page, use the Direct download link underneath the big green one [that's for a download helper, unless you want to use that]
    File is 69.4mb p5free_content.zip

Yay! sankyou so much! --->downloaded! ^_^
    Actually, I just discovered ShareCG *yesss*

The "Content" folder is now called "My Library". Direct the installers to "My Library" and in D/S4.5 they are found in the Content Library under Poser files.Gotta check where this is and install later *yawn* x_x

thanks for your answer! ^_^

edited December 1969

Okay it looks like 'something happened' then.

.daz files, if those are the scene files, they are not going to work without the content in the files where it's going to look for them. However if you do get a fresh install of D/S3 the new ones should work fine.

Yes sharecg.com is a very popular place lol ...

Every week Daz3d usually has an item up for grabs too. And there's an extra one once a month for PC members.

Unless you've changed it the Drive would be:

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Daz 3D\Studio\My Library

edited December 1969

.daz files, if those are the scene files, they are not going to work without the content in the files where it's going to look for them. However if you do get a fresh install of D/S3 the new ones should work fine.Ok I guess I'll have to read more about file formats in DAZ anyway. I might have the old D/S3 installer in an archive..

Every week Daz3d usually has an item up for grabs too. And there's an extra one once a month for PC members.
    Yay thank you for the news. I get so many newsletters aka sales stuff flyers in my inbox, I'm a bit overwhelmed XD.

Unless you've changed it the Drive would be:

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Daz 3D\Studio\My LibraryFound it. Thanx for everything ^^

Btw (please tell me if I should open a new thread for this, or if I can just ask you since we have a conversation):
    This Genesis figure is supposed to be so malleable, adaptable, morphable - they say even male-female can come from this figure. So if I fond female clothes or hair I like, can I use them for males too? It seemed to work as I tried with this "fiery" included stuff, but maybe there are problems like seams, edges poking out when you pose/animate, that you notice too late...
    Or to say it differently - is on DAZ or share sites the term "female" (used with Genesis) for clothes / hair etc meaning the obvious feminine average style - or is there a morph problem for the wrong gender (even if in the DAZ video, you see the same skirt on a lady and on an ogress)..

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

You should be able to mix and match. However, items made for the male shape may look odd on the females (things like baldrics may stretch oddly over the breasts, for example) and to a lesser extend vice versa.

edited December 1969

You should be able to mix and match. However, items made for the male shape may look odd on the females (things like baldrics may stretch oddly over the breasts, for example) and to a lesser extend vice versa.

i tried out, even with charas from a preset (figures, clothes, pose) where they were female and my figure male, and it worked! the included little girl's hair from DAZ works fine too. of course, from time to time there might be one or another that won't give good results - i'll keep the crossdress, when not sure, to free items.
    thanks for your answer ^^

edited December 1969

You'll find the Shaping Tab is lots of fun. Can even dress the Gorilla morph [sold in the store] if you want to! But yes, obviously some clothing items look better than others on the various figures.