I lost the original Genesis figure

achimxxachimxx Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi all,

after playing with 1) exporting a character for Michael 4 as .cr2 file, and 2) transferring the morphs of it to genesis with GenX, the original Genesis figure (the one that is loaded on starting DAZ Studio by default) now got the face of my Michael 4 character permanently. How is that possible? What could I have done to achieve this?

I uninstalled DAZ Studio 4 and reinstalled it, but there still was the same face on the Genesis figure. How can I get back the original Genesis to DAZ Studio?

Thank you for your answers.

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI achimxx :)

Michael 4, and all previous Daz Figures are already supplied as CR2 figures and will work in Poser or Daz Studio.

As I understand it,.. The gen X plugin, will transfer the morphs from Michael 4 and Victoria 4, into the Genesis figure,.
    So,.. you should be able the select the Head of Genesis, and dial back the Michael 4 head morphs, and that should return it to default genesis. although,,, I don't have that product, so that's a guess.

It sound like, somewhere in the process, you've overwritten the original genesis figure with the morphed version including the M4 morphs.
    I'm not sure how you would go back to that original, other than deleting all the data for genesis.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of Daz Studio can jump in and help you.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited June 2012

What happens if you try to load Genesis from Smart Content or from the Content Library? Do you get the unaltered Genesis or the GenX'd version? (Trying to figure out if the error is limited to when you load the software or not).

For what it's worth, my DS4 loads without Genesis by default (no idea how or why)...but Genesis works fine when I load it manually. I've read somewhere that you can customize what is loaded by DS4 when it opens, and maybe you and I both did this by accident...?

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,707
    edited December 1969

Try right-clicking on the tab of the Parameters pane and in the menu go to the Zero sub-menu, then choose the option to zero figure morphs.

• achimxxachimxx Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much for your answers.

@3DAGE
    > Michael 4, and all previous Daz Figures are already supplied as CR2 figures and will work in Poser or Daz Studio.

I know, but I exported an altered, morphed M4-character, not the original M4 as a .cr2 file: I loaded M4 base, added ++ and some other morphs, then added an M4 character preset that I've purchased, and exported the whole "mixture".

> So,.. you should be able the select the Head of Genesis, and dial back the Michael 4 head morphs, and that should return it to default
    > genesis. although,,, I don’t have that product, so that’s a guess.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. When I dialed the morph, which is in - - , to -1 or to +1, there only were slight changes to that "strange" face.

> It sound like, somewhere in the process, you’ve overwritten the original genesis figure with the morphed version including the M4 morphs.
    > I’m not sure how you would go back to that original, other than deleting all the data for genesis.

I fear you are totally right, but I wonder how this could have happened.

edited December 1969

@ Scott-Livingston
    > What happens if you try to load Genesis from Smart Content or from the Content Library? Do you get the unaltered Genesis or the GenX’d > version? (Trying to figure out if the error is limited to when you load the software or not).
    >
    >For what it’s worth, my DS4 loads without Genesis by default (no idea how or why)...but Genesis works fine when I load it manually. I’ve >read somewhere that you can customize what is loaded by DS4 when it opens, and maybe you and I both did this by accident…?

The same altered Genesis appears in each case.
    Yes, you can set in --- for example "None" or a path to the Genesis.dsf file, in my case: ...\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\People\Genesis\Genesis.dsf. Obviously, the file was overwritten somehow or its references somewhere were. I don't know any more what I've done exactly, but maybe it was one of the choices in the GenX tab. I think I used "Selected morphs (with preset)" or "Create preset" and in the lower part "Replace existing files (keep backup)".

@ Richard Haseltine
    To zero the figure morphs doesn't work, because all of the morphs of the altered Genesis figure are at Zero.
    By the way, the body of Genesis is NOT altered, although it was altered in the character it came from, only the head got the altered shapes.

Sorry for my English, it's not my first language.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

@achimxx

I do not have generationX, but it is so strange, if you did not overwritte genesis data and save as same file name.

So you overwrote genesis data with some option( as you say ,Replace existing files (keep backup)?

I think It is better you show screen shot. when you load genesis.dsf on daz 4 sceane.

this is first thing to solve your problems.
    many men can help you more easily. please check my picture.
    after check it, if you need reinstall contents, you can reinstall ds 4, and contents,
    of course you can get buck original genesis.

Then about uninstall, (if you need reinstall to get buck original genesis)

1. try this way. (In this case, I think you do not need cms uninstall)

windows start menu >all programs> daz 3D>das studio4 >Installed DS contents>Uninstall ds 4 default contents

It means the uninstaller only remove basic contents with daz studio 4 application.

2 then uninstall daz studio 4 application

3 install daz studio 4 application again. (It may install basic contents too)

(before install, you may read install manual, it is so important to install correctly.)

genesis.JPG
    816 x 499 - 76K
    edited June 2012

Thank you, kitakoredazu.

I did the and after that the , then I reinstalled DAZ Studio 4.
    But there was no effect as you can see on my screenshot. Maybe the Genesis.dsf file contains references to files that were not uninstalled and kept the information to morph Genesis' head?

Altered_Genesis.jpg
    640 x 513 - 142K
    Post edited by achimxx on
    edited June 2012

wao,,

"genesis" with man face come in, when you click "genesis dsf" in smartcontents ?! ><;</p>

I think there are two possibility.

1. when you load genesis.dsf , generation x apply morphs with your genesis figure automatically.

Can not you find the shape morph parameter "the mans face"?

I think there seems to be option of generation x, when you load genesis, apply the morph automatically,,

2 1. as you say, the genesis.dsf was overwrriten. .but you uninstall contents,,,
    (if you reinstall so many times, sometimes uninstaller can not clean up your contents,,)

you may check where is your genesis.dsf .(which references to)

On smart contents , right click>Show in content library.

Content library pane may open.

Now you can find Genesis.dsf in content library

On content library, right click "Genesis.dsf " >Browse to file location.

this is your genesis.dsf.

It should be \(your daz contents folda\)People\Genesis\genesis.dsf

(I hope you do not have many genesis.dsf,,, in your HD)

then, you can check the time when "the genesis.dsf is updated". in windows exproler.

if the "updated time" is after you transfer morphs by generation X,

it seems to be overwritten.

and you can uninstall generation X, can not U?

Now IMO it is best way to clean your genesis.

(after uninstall, you can reinstall generation X from your account. (you need not pay again )

I hope someone who use the generation X , and they can help you. ><; </p>

(if you want to try ds 4.5 RC, in 4.5RC, you can not use generation X,
    and it overwritte the refferetnce of " genesis dsf" to "genesis duf."
    so you can load "original genesis "

but,,, I do not think it is best way,,

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
    edited December 1969

3 I may check (your daz contents folda) \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs\

if generation x made morph (.dsf ) , it may be saved at this location.

eg ) \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs\ (gereration X)\ (product name)\( face).dsf

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It sounds like Gen X can be a pain in the butt if you make a mistake. If you do not have much content or many scene files saved you can go as far as deleting the My Library folder to clear all the content, that would clear away the Data Folder that might hold the bad file data. Then a clean content install should fix your Genesis. I would only do that if you only have the default content and no projects you want to keep.

edited December 1969

Yes, I think which Jederail said , may be perfect answer , . If I were you, first I may just dereate data>DAZ3D>Genesis>Base,
    and install contents again. then check it,,

I think another way to just get buck "genesis shape",

did you check "Basic female (male) . dsf." ( people>Genesis>Characters) in contents library?

If when you load it, the shape has no problem,

1 select genesis, then set material "newtral Grey dsa" ( people>Genesis>Materials) in contents library

2 go shaping tab, click "Actor" then set the value of "female (male) body" to 0, can not you get a oliginal genesis shape?

If the shape is strange man face too, I think the geometry has over written.

I think ,someone who know well about .dsf file, may easily ascertain which file cause the problem.

edited December 1969

Although I really don't know exactly what I've done, the problem seems to be solved.

At first I uninstalled DS4, and I reinstalled it on another hard disk. The original Genesis figure was back again! Then - step by step - I copied the other files from the old directory "My Library" to the new one. When I did this with the "... \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs" directory, the strange face was back. But when I deleted the purchased character the face came from, it was O.K. again.

I don't know what happened, I'm just glad to have Genesis back.

Thank you all for your great help!