Hello! I'm new to 3d Modeling, and here's what I've come up with in my 1st 2 days.

stoltenkamp.scottstoltenkamp.scott Posts: 95
edited January 2013 in Hexagon Discussion

Hi all.

So just a bit of background. I've no previous experience with 3D modeling except for a week with AutoCAD back in high school. I've been playing with D|S and SFM as something to kill downtime during the job search (school closed in November.)

I finally decided to take a stab at Hexagon and this is what I came up with.

Day 1.
Shield and sword.

Day 2.
Kitchen stuff.

I'm particularly pleased by the tea set. The lid of the teapot is a separate piece, and I managed to make the spout hollow back into the body of the pot.

Eventually... I'll work on mapping stuff, but for now I'm focused on geometry and getting myself out of trouble.

Post edited by stoltenkamp.scott on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Well done, you seem to have the right idea.

Hexagon is a very good modeller, and I find it easy to work with.

• stoltenkamp.scottstoltenkamp.scott Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

Yes, I think I have the very basics down.

I'm quite surprised how much sense the extrude tool made to me seeing as I've always kind of thought in subtraction not addition.

Here's a better image of the tea set, and before you ask "why a tea set?" I figured I'd keep going in the kitchen theme but go for some more interesting shapes.

trty5564.jpg
    640 x 480 - 48K
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I'm impressed! I got spoiled on Rhino years ago, and still have trouble with polygon modelling... nice work!!

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Welcome - you have done really well:)

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Great work!

• RomancefantasyRomancefantasy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Wow, that's much better than anything I ever did when i started. Stick with it. {thumbs up}

• stoltenkamp.scottstoltenkamp.scott Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the kind words all.

I've managed to finish off my coffee/tea service and am moving on to stemware (even renders need a drink once in a while don't they?)

Tip for any newbies that stumble into this thread, make sure that you don't leave smoothing on while you're working otherwise your geometries can end up a "little odd." (pics below ;)

Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have the geometries for the whole set of tableware basics done and I can start to figure out how to texture them.

Smoothing_madness_2.png
    1313 x 677 - 149K
    Smoothing_madness.png
    1313 x 677 - 154K
  • m_m_italym_m_italy Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

Welcome.
    Good start.
    Bye bye.