How do you organize your content?

harlequin-3dharlequin-3d Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Specifically how do your organize your poser content? I'm so tired of having to track down the readme for a product to see how they decided to name their folders, so I can find the damn thing!

Do you use a 3rd party app or some other method?

Thanks

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I do nothing. That way, I'm always surprised when I find something I forgot I had!

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

This is almost asking, "What is the one, true religion?" :lol:

When I started, I was doing it all wrong. Dartanbeck did a huge amount of work to teach me how to use Poser content in Carrara.

I simply have a folder called "Content" and then sub-folders for each runtime library that I want to create. It currently looks like this:

Animals
    Buildings
    Dragons
    M4
    M4 - Hair
    Props
    V4
    V4 - Hair
    Vehicles

Slightly abbreviated list; but you get the picture.

All V4 poses and clothing go into "V4" and all V4 hair goes into "V4 - Hair" And so on. "Props" is a bit of a generic catch-all category (i.e. the recently free smartphone and tablet models). "Buildings" is by far the largest as it contains the work of Jack Tomalin and others that are structures/sculptures.

I do wonder if I should have separated the clothing from the respect V4 and M4 folders...too late to do much about that now!

You mention 3rd party tools...is there such things to organize runtime libraries? I think a drag-and-drop interface would be so much better! Especially if the tool can find all related textures for a given prop and move them too.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    This is almost asking, "What is the one, true religion?" :lol:

When I started, I was doing it all wrong. Dartanbeck did a huge amount of work to teach me how to use Poser content in Carrara.

I simply have a folder called "Content" and then sub-folders for each runtime library that I want to create. It currently looks like this:

Animals
    Buildings
    Dragons
    M4
    M4 - Hair
    Props
    V4
    V4 - Hair
    Vehicles

Slightly abbreviated list; but you get the picture.

All V4 poses and clothing go into "V4" and all V4 hair goes into "V4 - Hair" And so on. "Props" is a bit of a generic catch-all category (i.e. the recently free smartphone and tablet models). "Buildings" is by far the largest as it contains the work of Jack Tomalin and others that are structures/sculptures.

I do wonder if I should have separated the clothing from the respect V4 and M4 folders...too late to do much about that now!

You mention 3rd party tools...is there such things to organize runtime libraries? I think a drag-and-drop interface would be so much better! Especially if the tool can find all related textures for a given prop and move them too.

If I had known all that before I started with this years ago I would have done as you did, but now it would take longer than it's worth to go through everything.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,189
    edited December 1969

Specifically how do your organize your poser content? I'm so tired of having to track down the readme for a product to see how they decided to name their folders, so I can find the damn thing!

Do you use a 3rd party app or some other method?

Thanks

I have an external hard drive with all my 3D content items. It has folders for all the apps (Poser, Carrara, Vue, Mocap, General Models, Sound FX, Music, etc.) In the Poser folder, each item is listed by Seller and item name, e.g. DAZ Rocketron Trike, CP Fantasy Castle, etc. (CP is Content Paradise). So each item has its own Runtime in a single folder. I use Carrara about 98% of the time, so I "Add Folders" in its browser for a given project, the folders being the external runtimes for each item.

This is not a great way for keeping similar items together (characters, hair, etc.), but it works for me. I can generally find items with Windows Explorer's keyword search, e.g. "Hair" (starting in the Poser directory).

I also like P3DO (available as freeware and shareware) from Senosoft:

http://www.senosoft.com/

"Poser 3D viewing: P3dO is the only Poser utility with a PZ3 viewer, CR2 viewer, PP2 viewer, HR2 viewer, PZ2 viewer."

I especially like the motion capture viewer, which works for BVH and Poser motions, using a wireframe character. Faster than having to load it into Carrara for a preview.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited January 2013

Thanks OP for making the thread.

I made the move to changing the locations due to not being able to find things being scattered all over. I did this over time, moving everything under character.

!female
    !male
    !creatures
    !children
    Scene
    Things
    Enviroment
    Etc/

Then I have subdirectories
    under !female
    Aiko3, Aiko4, Laura 3, Mill Girl, Sara, Shefreak etc. I have one called Misc Clothing that I put the MDF stuff in.

Under each Character's folder (i.e. !female/Victoria 4/) I have a breakdown this way
    Camera, Character (textures/pose folder/props), Clothing, Eyes, Face, Hair, Hands, Lights, Morphs (all the big INJ/REM Elite, ++, Muscle, NGM), shoes, I also have a pose and props that have dummy folders that point back to the character folder where all the props/poses/etc are. If it has DS mats that are loaded in the default DS places I place a !DS Mats available.

In the things folder I have various subfolders like weapons (and futher breakdown if there gets to be too many), I will put See V4 Armageddon to point back to the weapon and where its at.

Steves approach is also interesting, adding and removing runtimes as needed and using the utility P3DO to browse.

I have seen some mention they keep all the installers and install / uninstall as needed.

Garstor's method is also interesting. Creating separate runtimes. There are positives and negatives I can see with this, such as weapons that come with the characters so I would have to do what I do now and put a dummy link in weapons and point back to the right character folder.

The advantage of all in one runtime is packages that have hair/clothes/poses can be moved freely , the disadvantage is that it become one big lump and has to remain together, vs moving to other locations.

I am beginning to think I should have broken down the runtimes, Perhaps Female into its own, or one for each specific female. I am not sure if I would then keep the associated items with the character folder (IE weapons, clothing, etc). I don't know if I need to worry about the sheer amount of files being setup :)

Before I would install to a temp directory then move everything into the runtime, and re-organizing where the library files went. Content management remembers where you installed too (they are DS files if my memory serves me to tell you how long it has been since I installed anything while in this limbo), which makes it my default so Genesis items I just let install to the default library or my main daz library since DS files are kept in a different location and have not been organized.

I am thrown off by Genesis and the Content Management system. This and 8.5 really ground me to a halt on installing things. What to do with the .trx file. Genesis is a DS thing but coming to 8.5, Content management will eventually be default and every product seems to come with the .trx file (is that the content management one?) These two items are my biggest question and hold up.

My other hold up item for me, is that at first I was creating a spreadsheet. Every time I purchased something I would go to the Daz Website copy my order lines and paste into the spreadsheet. Then when I installed I would copy the items from the purchased to the installed spreadsheet so I would know I should have something installed. I tracked my Carrara items separately on the install so I would know I had it purchased and installed. I then stopped doing the installed portion of the spreadsheet, I started using the orca script and the database from daz which was discontinued. I then started using the 3d Librarian with the orca scripts. It was great. I could find what I had purchased and browse the database of what I owned. All of that broke with the 'improved' daz site. Now I have no spreadsheet, no seeing whats installed, and no database. I did use DazHistory and its good but I have to redownload vs just adding to when I update with purchases, and there is no images unless I 'view' product page and many product pages go away.

I have been fighting this battle for a while and would like to move forward. I am at the point I will go back, re-download everything and re-install from scratch to get a clean setup moving forward. I still have way too much I haven't even bothered to install now.

My overly rambling thoughts on it at least.

I look forward to figuring out how to move forward myself.

Post edited by Milo on
  • MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

I use total commander to move things around. Its a two panel file manager with tabs for folders. I simply have my temp source in one panel, then I have some of my more common places in the other panel with tabs and its highlight, tab, F6 (move), F7 to create a new folder, or simply click to rename something to more memory friendly. This is a HUGE time saver.

There are some free alternatives to Total Commander (if you don't want to wait for a few secs while it puts up a screen asking you to press a button when you first run it). like Mu Commander and others.

I also have a tabs set to various utilities like .rsr converter. I have a tab set to where all the installers are located.

I also use irfanview (free, also grab the addons also free). This way I can just press return on the .png and I can flip through all the viewable images if I need to see the thumbnails.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,196
    edited January 2013

If I had known all that before I started with this years ago I would have done as you did, but now it would take longer than it's worth to go through everything.It really doesn't take as long as you'd think - but it can take a few days if you have a large collection - but the organization of it all is so helpful that I'd strongly suggest doing so as a part-time, side project. Then use those runtimes once you're done.

Let's just break down a runtime folder.
    If all you own is Poser, and you install all of your content into the Poser directory, the meat and potatoes files all go into a structure located within the "runtime" folder.

WARNING - with the exception of Pose files that 'pose' the figure (not those that change materials, etc.,), changing the names or contents of any of these folders or their files can break the content - it simply won't work because the file allocations have been disrupted.

Many of us have nearly as much fun collecting new content as we do using it. It gets downright addicting. This can make for a huge runtime library if you only use one (or even three, for that matter). This is why they eventually gave Poser the ability to use multiple 'runtimes'. Carrara handles them masterfully!

Everybody has their own work flow which helps direct them towards how to set up a runtime structure. The runtime structure is simple to use - even when installing content - so long as you keep their locations easy to find. Some of the Daz3d installation files for Windows will remember the last location you've installed to. This makes it really easy to go ahead and install all of your stuff for 'this' runtime, and then move onto 'that' runtime. But since this is so, it is best to keep the locations of those runtimes close to one another, as it makes them easier to select when you need to select a different one. Here's how I made my current runtime structure:

I use my 'C' (primary) drive for my runtimes for speed, but you can use any drive. I don't recommend using one that can be unplugged as it just gives too much possibility of headaches occurring. For this reason, I now build my PC's with a really large C drive (currently 1.5TB @ 6GB/sec)

Keeping the initial structure folder directly at the top of the drive makes it easy to select -

Local Disc (C:)
    Content (folder)
    M4 (folder)
    Runtime (Everything and anything that goes with M4, including the Freak 4, Hiro 4, etc,)
    ReadMe's
    V4 (folder)
    Runtime (Everything and anything that goes with V4, including the Girl 4, Aiko 4, etc,)
    ReadMe's
    Etc., (more folders, like above - as needed)
    Runtime (Continue the above structure for all base figures that you own, like V3 for example)
    ReadMe's

Note that V2 and V1 and their conforming items and smart props, etc., are compatible - so they should share the same runtime
    Animals (folder)
    Runtime (Everything animal related)
    ReadMe's

Environment (folder)
    Runtime (Everything related to environments. I include all buildings and plants as well)
    ReadMe's

etc.,
    I know that Garstor always insisted on keeping his V4 hair separated from his main V4 runtime. I can see the advantage - but I like to keep all of my V4 stuff with V4 - it just makes it easier to find what I'm looking for.

IMPORTANT TO KNOW
    Genesis and other Daz Studio content that is made only to be used in Daz Studio no longer follows the "runtime" content structure. So far, I only install such things to their default locations since Daz did a decent job of organization when they created their structure. I am not yet a DS user - but I am collecting Genesis items for use in Carrara, eventually. I may end up changing my mind on this, but so far I'm happy with all genesis stuff going where Daz Studio default installation files place it: My Documents > DAZ3D > Studio > My Library

In Carrara 8.5 beta, I haven't been using "Smart Content" but instead have preferred Content > My Library
    This navigates to the "People" folder, which holds all of the Genesis items and "Animals" folder for the new Daz Horse 2 and such.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Let's just break down a runtime folder...

Yeah, yeah, I know how it works. Still too much of a PITA. I don't buy a lot of stuff, so I don't install a lot of stuff. Ive just accumulated a lot over the years. If I do buy something, I just install to the default location.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Like quite a few here I run multiple runtimes, The big secret to all of this is install to a dummy folder first. Check the contents then drop in to the appropriate runtime.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Like quite a few here I run multiple runtimes, The big secret to all of this is install to a dummy folder first. Check the contents then drop in to the appropriate runtime.
    Great idea. I do this for Carrara content, so I know where to find it - but is a great plan for any content.
  • harlequin-3dharlequin-3d Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I didn't know about multiple runtimes. That sounds like a good idea.
    If only I had known that from the begining...so much stuff to sort *facepalm self*

• Curved DesignCurved Design Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

I wish something like this existed for Content. It would be awesome!

Not just for guns in the virtual world of "The Matrix" but for DAZ Studio and Carrara content.

Matrix Stockroom - "Ok, so what do you need?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y70vcs3oV14

Someone could probably implement a plug-in like it but it probably wouldn't be easy! :-)

Marcus

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Great idea. I do this for Carrara content, so I know where to find it - but is a great plan for any content.

That is a slick idea...I'll have to start trying that.

If my coding skills were up to snuff, I'd love to write an app that recursively searched all the content installs and extracted/moved the files for you in one shot...

edited December 1969

I didn't know about multiple runtimes. That sounds like a good idea.
    If only I had known that from the begining...so much stuff to sort *facepalm self*
    Ya Know,
    It really isn't as bad as it might seem... re-installing stuff to a new structure. All while you take your time and make it the way you want it, you still have what you currently have to use. So I just take my time and relish in seeing all of that content again - it's actually kind of fun. Towards the end, you may start to get corpotunnel, or however that's spelled - but it's worth it.

Once I'm done with a good, new structure (I've re-done it a few times) I save off the whole thing to an extra drive as a back-up. Then, once a year or two, I'll re-save my back-up to keep it current. Right now I have my runtimes saved on three separate drives - since I had some extra drives with no other need. I also back up every version of Carrara and its plugins, DS, Hex, Bryce, etc., on those runtimes drives. I also have one large drive that stores all of my purchased content, along with every version of the above-mentioned software. I don't like losing stuff.

edited December 1969

Towards the end, you may start to get corpotunnel, or however that's spelled - but it's worth it.

Carpal tunnel. :)

No, it's not worth it (the carpal tunnel...been there, done that, too rough, pave it). Re-org-ing your content from time to time is probably worth it. I might put a few beers on a promissory note and bug you about this again in the future...

• Akulla3DAkulla3D Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Towards the end, you may start to get corpotunnel, or however that's spelled - but it's worth it.

Carpal tunnel. :)

No, it's not worth it (the carpal tunnel...been there, done that, too rough, pave it). Re-org-ing your content from time to time is probably worth it. I might put a few beers on a promissory note and bug you about this again in the future...

I used to have a different runtime for each type, like clothing and hair etc, but after a while that didnt work well when I go alot of stuff. Now I do it by year, every year I start a new runtime so its easy to find my new stuff. Then when I want something I can go to the year I remember buying it and it is pretty easy to find.

edited December 1969

One thing about making multiple runtimes that I've found from my own experiences, is that if I have compatible pieces scattered about too much, it becomes a pain in the butt. But that may only be me.

• efron_24efron_24 Posts: 473
    edited February 2013

We just made several folders (In Dutch of course, but translated here)

Aery Soul (with products made under their current name too)
    DM (Danie and Marforno - diveded in Vic3 and Vic4 and Vic4 subdivided in
    -Techno
    -Steam
    -ElfRock
    -Classic
    -Gothic
    -"Together"( V4and M4)

Animals subdivided in
    -Air
    -Water
    -Fantasy
    -Dino
    -Dragon
    -Mammals
    -Reptiles

Private (self made things)

Buildings
    Interior (with sub maps = house, hotel, hospital, West (all these wespoint products), StoneMason etc)
    Rock and Plant
    Terradome
    Clothes (vic4 and Vicdiv (div. = divers = all but Vic4)
    Hair (vic4 and Vicdiv) diveded in AearySoul, often used, seldom used and hardly ever used)
    Vic4 (poses (often used, seldom used, hardly ever used), Skn mats (divided in rases and SSS and not SSS) and Ironman 13)
    Vicdiv (poses plus (see above))
    Traffic (land , sea, rails, water)
    Weapons (modern, ancient)
    RDNA
    Equipment
    Outside (all outside that is not rock or plant material, as in landscape props, but not Terradome)

so we find everything we want easely within seconds. All is in the right map
    As soon as I downloaded it from Daz3d, RenderoSity or RuntimeDNA I move it to the rght place

All DSON things have the same structure in the Genesis maps

The clothes (male and female)
    the hair (male and female)
    the poses (Imale, female, kids)
    The Giantess materials

again . .we find everything we want within seconds

Post edited by efron_24 on
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

My two centsworth.

I use a program called Zoner Photo Studio( free version) which principally is for editing but has a rather handy interface that I use much like Windows explorer. With two panes as you se in image below - the left one is my "installed" file structure. Th right pane is a is another file with the same folder structure and in here I put a picture of the product.It has an information tab wher ei store a description copied amd pasted from the daz shop.

I can the browse the thumbmails to see what Ive got and check the left pane to see if i installed it ( if I cant rememebr) If I want to install it I use left pane to navigate to my content downloads which again are in afolder of the same structure so they are easy to find.

It really doesnt take long to copy the info whenever you buy something but it did take me a while to set up in the beginning though well worth it.
    I might add the program has many little features such as displaying video so more often than not i watch my tutorials with it e found through it's favourites function.

Content_info.JPG
    1228 x 853 - 95K
    content_magaement.JPG
    1275 x 821 - 144K