Haven't used Daz Studio for 2 years, need a little texturing help:)

I'm trying to remember how to create textures for free items, such as wancow's sarong for genesis, but I'm having a little bit of trouble. Could anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial for this? I'm using Daz Studio 4.5.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

If the item has a Template with it, that is what you need, if not, you need to create one in UV Mapper or similar, and then just colour it in in Photoshop or Gimp or similar. The way that textures work hasn't changed much through the version.

Wancow is a regular forum member here, and maybe he/she can help further.

• edited December 1969

Well see, that's what I did. When I applied the texture to the sarong, the edges didn't meet up or even come close. Then when I tried to do a render of the item with the texture to put on this thread as an example, the texture didn't even show up. Only the base mesh rendered.

edited December 1969

I'm not sure I am folowing you here. After you created the texture, and applied it to the Sarong the edges did not meet? Where did you get the template from?

How are you applying the texture to the item if it did not show up in a render? Can you post a screenshot of your viewport with the item loaded?

• edited December 1969

I made the template with UV Mapper classic. I'm applying it through the surfaces tab. Yes, I can create a screenshot, but it'll take me just a few minutes.

• edited December 1969

ok Here's a screenshot of the item with the texture applied.

DAZ_PROBLEMS1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 298K
  • edited December 1969

ANd here's one after I'd done a spot render.

DAZ_PROBLEMS_2.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 276K
    edited December 1969

I notice that when I load the Sarong that wancow made, it just uses a 400 x 400 square texture. You could try just replacing that square texture in the Surfaces pane in the Diffuse channel, and see if that works. Make your texture 400 x 400, and give it a name you will recognise, then in the Diffuse channel, apply your own texture as shown below. Use Browse to find where you saved it to.

Untitled-1.jpg
    596 x 528 - 142K
  • edited December 1969

YEs, that works. The only problem is that I'm afraid that that would be considered redistribution of the original creators textures and if I remember correctly their read me specifically stated no redistribution. I've never actually had this problem with older versions, so that's why I began to think I made a mistake somewhere.

• LuckBeLuckBe Posts: 93
    edited December 1969

YEs, that works. The only problem is that I'm afraid that that would be considered redistribution of the original creators textures and if I remember correctly their read me specifically stated no redistribution. I've never actually had this problem with older versions, so that's why I began to think I made a mistake somewhere.

Looking at JimmyC's post with the UV View, and the preview of your texture in the diffuse channel, it actually looks like the UV map you're using is incorrect. The UV map goes all the way to the edges of the texture, but your texture does not. It seems to be smaller. I could be mistaken, but perhaps try exporting the uvmap again?

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Chameleon, just so you know, unless I specifically state otherwise, everything I make is Public Domain. So do what it is you need to do with it, share it, whatever... so don't worry about that with my stuff.

Secondly, when I created the UVS, all I did was apply a cylindrical UV to it in Hex. But the texture I used was just a square of tileable colour. Basically, the sarong is designed so that all you have to do is create a square of colour, and apply that, tile it if it needs to be tiled. I try, not always successfully, but I do try to keep the UVS in mind when I model anything... ever since my debacle with the UVS on the Black Rhino... I learned my lesson there :)