458 x 820 - 62K
    front_of_head.jpg
    729 x 1410 - 62K
    back_of_head.jpg
    729 x 1410 - 57K
    Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

That looks like what happens when a geografted part is turned invisible. Check in your Scene tab to make sure the ears and crest are set as visible.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

Yes it is invisible, but why does the geografted part do that?

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

I assume you loaded the geographed parts, look in the scene tab, next to the geographed parts, is the eye on or off? and check surfaces opacity make sure its 100%.

edited December 1969

My question is not why is it invisible, I turned it invisible

My question is why do the geografted parts do that?

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,546
    edited December 1969

Because it is turning a body part off. It is just like hiding the head. It replaces the existing mesh with the new mesh.

edited December 1969

exactly. the new mesh parts, the fins and ears and such- swap out the original mesh and replace it with the new geometry mesh. the old mesh isn't really there now. and when you turn a hand invisible it wont' render, and if you turn the fin, which was part of the head invisible, it will of course leave a hole.

I do wish that the TEXTURE for aquatic genesis had two versions though, one for the fins/finned hands and feet/ and one for default genesis. You absolutely cannot mix and match this set. i wish it was in the description. I wanted to put hair on it not use the geografted head fin but the gray part of the head texture was so low on the forehead that i couldn't hide it.

I mean i like the product but it really isn't very versatile.

I like products that mix and match better.

i like using rawart's and valandar's scaly textures (lots to choose from) and then i took a small part of those and used it to fill in the hands and feet of Aquatic genesis. A lot of work to get an aquatic genesis without a big gray patch on the head. but worth it for the hands and feet.

edited December 1969

Also when you use any morphs that change the shape of the head along the ears you can see the right through the edges of the ear fins.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

exactly. the new mesh parts, the fins and ears and such- swap out the original mesh and replace it with the new geometry mesh. the old mesh isn't really there now. and when you turn a hand invisible it wont' render, and if you turn the fin, which was part of the head invisible, it will of course leave a hole.

I do wish that the TEXTURE for aquatic genesis had two versions though, one for the fins/finned hands and feet/ and one for default genesis. You absolutely cannot mix and match this set. i wish it was in the description. I wanted to put hair on it not use the geografted head fin but the gray part of the head texture was so low on the forehead that i couldn't hide it.

I mean i like the product but it really isn't very versatile.

I like products that mix and match better.

i like using rawart's and valandar's scaly textures (lots to choose from) and then i took a small part of those and used it to fill in the hands and feet of Aquatic genesis. A lot of work to get an aquatic genesis without a big gray patch on the head. but worth it for the hands and feet.

In defense, it's versatile in the fact that the body shapes can be mixed, but the product was made for using all the fins because of the artist's vision for the character. And you'll get the same thing with any other's PA character that has geografted parts... they don't have an option of using the texture without the geografted items.

edited December 1969

Also Geografting is still really new.

I just wish the area that turns invisible were smaller or that there were a way to make it smaller.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

Also when you use any morphs that change the shape of the head along the ears you can see the right through the edges of the ear fins.

It should be welding to the original mesh, so that when a morph is applied at least the edges of the graft are pulled along. Can you give a couple of examples of morphs that show this and I'll see if I get the same here.

edited January 2013

sure

I keep getting Error Message: Unable to receive your submission at this time

aqua_front.jpg
    1167 x 1393 - 442K
    aqua_back.jpg
    1167 x 1802 - 301K
    Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
    edited December 1969

I was asking which morphs you see it with, so i can do a test - as I said, that shouldn't happen.

edited December 1969

A mix of the creature creator morphs and this set

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/hfs-shapes-for-genesis/97223

• FeralFeyFeralFey Posts: 3,897
    edited December 1969

Nice creature, John. Those are cool creature morphs you're working from. Wish I had had those available when I made the bubbles. I see a bit of distortion because of that. (Sorry about that. It's hard to figure out which morphs to support.)

edited December 1969

Thank you, I still love the Aquatic Genesis, an update or expansion for it would be nice.

• blondie9999blondie9999 Posts: 771
    edited January 2013

When you geo-graft a part, you essentially "replace" the portion of the figure's mesh that is covered by the grafted item, and the replaced portion becomes invisible. The reason for that is very simple: if the replaced portion didn't become invisible, it might protrude through the grafted-on part. Consider a mermaid tail-- if Genesis's legs and feet didn't become invisible when the tail was grated on, they would show-- and that would look horrible. You wouldn't have a mermaid; you'd have a weird-looking creature with legs AND a fish-tail.

It is not the "same" as Poser's geometry-swapping, but it is similar. When you swap "this" part for "that" one, "that" one no longer exists. In DS, the swapped-out portion is still "there," but it is invisible.

Post edited by blondie9999 on
    edited December 1969

I don't have the HFS set, if there a single morph or brief set of morphs using Creature Creator (or one of the other DAZ sets) that will trigger this?

edited December 1969

Thank you, I still love the Aquatic Genesis, an update or expansion for it would be nice.

Well, there won't be any updates or expansions because the product did not sell well enough to justify them.

I created the product for two reasons:

1. It was something I had had in mind for a long time, but couldn't do until geo-grafting came along-- a true "aquatic human," a human adapted to life in the water, and not a "mermaid," which is just a human torso with a fish-tail stuck on it in lieu of legs.

2. It was a great way to learn, and test the limits of, the geo-grafting feature.

In creating the product, I ran into many problems and snags, partly because documentation for the geo-grafting feature was almost nonexistent. The project literally took months, because much of what I was doing had to be done by trial-and-error. Even if the item had been a top seller, it would not have earned enough to be "worth" the amount of time invested in it, and it was very far from being a "top seller." It was a "learning experience"-- and we all know what *that* means, right?

edited December 1969

That's a bit depressing to hear Blondie. I bought it and enjoy it even though I pretty much had to retexture it (I was making a range of aquatic humans... some had human hands, some had human heads, for example, which means i needed textures for hands and heads). It was pretty simple to texture that in and always hope that vendors will support their products, and equally disappointed when something i like doesn't sell well. I have been wanting finned hands and feet for eons it feels like and I couldn't resist buying these... i don't think they were even on sale when I got them, but it was a must-have for a deep sea project. :)

edited December 1969

That's a bit depressing to hear Blondie. I bought it and enjoy it even though I pretty much had to retexture it (I was making a range of aquatic humans... some had human hands, some had human heads, for example, which means i needed textures for hands and heads). It was pretty simple to texture that in and always hope that vendors will support their products, and equally disappointed when something i like doesn't sell well. I have been wanting finned hands and feet for eons it feels like and I couldn't resist buying these... i don't think they were even on sale when I got them, but it was a must-have for a deep sea project. :)

Ah, don't be depressed. I learned a lot from making the thing, and I'm quite proud of it because I did a number of things I wasn't sure I would be able to do-- such as get the individual spines on the crest and ears to work well, or to get the webbing to work well, or to get the textures between Genesis's body and the grafts to blend well. It's one of the few things I've ever done that actually looks as good as the "vision" I saw in my head, and that alone is very satisfying-- although, by the time I finished it, I was viciously cursing myself for ever having started it. And I think it's an excellent "showpiece" demonstrating what can be done with geo-grafting.

In any case, what I learned enabled me to include a whole section on geo-grafting in my "advanced rigging" manual, which I hope to finish up fairly soon.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,331
    edited December 1969

I like Aquatic Genesis very much.

For the fun of it I tried to export Aquatic Genesis with the head, hand, feet, and ear craft as .obj over to e-on vue.

I noticed that in addtion to the ususual bump distorations the mesh of Aquatic Genesis turned invisible or had holes in unexpected places.
    I tried with other maps attached to the body that yielded the same result.

I then imported the mesh in zbrush and that yield the same holes.

Can someone reproduce this with their version of DS4.5 and an .obj export of Aquatic?

My first idea was that exporting .obj with geocrafted parts in general may cause problems.
    Then I tried to export four arms for Genesis and that worked with the same settings without any disappearing mesh parts.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the cause of the issue?

aquatic_v1004.jpg
    640 x 360 - 40K
    aquatic_zbrush.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 213K
  • Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited December 1969

I've been having several issues with this product. The geo-graft attachments are not welded to or subdividing with genesis. The hand fins, head fin and feet fins only line up properly to genesis at the "base" resolution with no Subdivision. The ears only line up perfectly with genesis at high resolution with subdivisions levels set to 0. This is clearly visible if you zoom in close to the seam areas. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can confirm if they are having the same issues or not? I am using DS version 4.6.0.18 and have the latest update of Aquatic. I was able to fix most of the problems by editing the Geo-Graft setup as outlined in my posts on the following thread:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16606/P45/#439512

Does anyone have any idea what might be the cause of the issue?

Sorry I'm late to respond. If your still interested in getting this to export correctly, I think it's directly related to the issues I mentioned above. I just had a quick look to test out your issue. When I export with genesis set to the base resolution, no faces are missing but the geo-grafts are still not welded properly and it's low resolution. If I export with genesis set to the default high resolution with 1 subdivision, I get the same missing polygons like your screenshots. After resetting up the graft parts as mentioned in my link above, I was able to export it properly in high resolution! However I still have not had a chance to fix the ears yet.

aquatic.jpg
    700 x 700 - 381K