AdamR001’s Default Categories Layout for DS4.5

adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
edited January 2013 in Freebies

AdamR001's Default Categories Metadata

DISCLAIMER: This freebie is provided as-is without warranty, yada yada yada. If it breaks, it's not my fault.

WHAT IT IS: This is a structure for categorizing your content. It is NOT the only way to do it. It is NOT having everything pre-categorized for you. It is just a structure. It's an idea, a place to start, and YOU are allowed to change it.

Requirements:
DAZ Studio 4.5.1.6 or higher is recommended, but any version supporting Metadata 4.5.x and higher should work.
Start from a *clean* categories. Resetting your database prior to installing is recommended.

Caveats:
If you have your own category system, PLEASE backup your database or export your personal metadata prior to installation. Copy the backup to a safe location. Don't overwrite your backup with mine. :P
If you don't flatten your personal database first, some categories might not get created. (E.g., in case of conflict) but in general it *should* be OK.
The ONLY pre-categorized content in this database are the special "deleteme.dsa" placeholder and the entirety of the Genesis Starter Essentials bundle. No other products are categorized.

Installation:
With DAZ Studio Running:
Unzip to a temporary location and copy the resulting files to any DAZ Studio native directory, but prefereably your primary one. This is *usually* ~\My Documents\DAZ 3D\My Library.
Inside of DAZ Studio select the Content Library tab.
Left-click on the Context Menu at the top right of the Content Library tab and select "Content DB Maintenance".
Select the checkbox next to "Re-Import Metadata".
Click Accept.
In the resulting window make certain "UserData1 N/A" is checked.
Make certain "All Products" is checked.
Uncheck "Show Items as New Content" (optional)
Make certain "User Data Overrrides Product Data" is checked.
Click Accept
Wait. This could take awhile if you have a lot of content installed already that has metadata.
Once the import has finished, go to Categories > Utilities, Scripts
Right click on "deleteme" and select "Browse to File Location"
In the resulting window, right click and delete the file "deleteme.dsa".
Close the window and go back to DAZ Studio.
Click on any other category and then back to "Utilities, Scripts".
Right click on the "Deleteme" icon which now should have a large yellow triangle with an execlamation point on it and select "Remove Orphanded File Reference."
Done! You should now have a clean set of categories to start categorizing your content in. Explore it a bit, get to know it, change what you don't like. Have fun and happy organizing.

* DOWNLOAD *

Screenshots of the installation process are below.

Post edited by adamr001 on

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited January 2013

With DAZ Studio Open... Go to the Content Library tab, left-click on the context menu

cmdb_md_01.png
    236 x 552 - 19K
    edited January 2013

Select "Content DB Maintenance",

cmdb_md_02.png
    296 x 386 - 16K
    edited January 2013

then "Re-Import Metadata" and Accept, change the default options as shown... and accept

cmdb_md_03.png
    300 x 295 - 19K
    cmdb_md_04.png
    569 x 238 - 22K
    edited December 1969

Wait a bit...

cmdb_md_05.png
    380 x 167 - 9K
    edited December 1969

Now to finish cleaning things up...

cmdb_md_07.png
    285 x 352 - 17K
    cmdb_md_06.png
    575 x 664 - 47K
    edited December 1969

Then delete the "deleteme.dsa" file! Yes, really!

cmdb_md_08.png
    380 x 292 - 16K
    edited December 1969

Now, back in DS, click any other category and then back to the Utilities, Scripts folder. Right click on the now "missing" deleteme file and select "Removed Orphaned File Reference".

Enjoy. :)

cmdb_md_09.png
    331 x 242 - 14K
    edited December 1969

Here's an idea of the structure you'll be getting :)

cmdb_md_10.png
    989 x 616 - 48K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Hope you were finished Adam. ;)

Great stuff...I have downloaded ready for when I get back up and running. I hadn't been using Catagories since leaving DS3 and moving all my content to a USB HDD but this will get me back to using them again, cheers much appreciated.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

Just to clarify, this assumes everything is installed to the default location, correct?

edited January 2013

Yes and No.

No in the sense that your application and content can be installed into any directory.

Yes in the sense that, at least with the Genesis starter essentials, the relative path of the products is expected to be default. Since I'm providing no pre-categorization of any other content, you can mess with that to your heart's content. This is simply a category structure for YOU to populate.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Yes and No.

No in the sense that your application and content can be installed into any directory.

Yes in the sense that, at least with the Genesis starter essentials, the relative path of the products is expected to be default. Since I'm providing no pre-categorization of any other content, you can mess with that to your heart's content. This is simply a category structure for YOU to populate.

Firstly, thanks for doing this...

However, I'm a bit confused. If I have already set up my categories is there any point to me installing it? If I'm reading this post correctly I would then have to recategorise everything again?

I noticed also you have everything set up outside of default...what are the pros and cons of setting up there?

edited December 1969

Hi Pendraia,

The point of this is for people are do not have a structure already or do not like the default Structure DAZ provides. It is simply my response to an inquiry for someone complaining that they couldn't find their stuff. :) You wouldn't necessarily *have* to re-categorize everything, but certainly if you wanted it in this structure you would.

Inside vs. Outside of "Default"... Yes, there is a point in setting it up outside of Default. By doing so, I keep MY metadata completely separate from the DAZ Metadata. All the default Metadata and hierarchy will remain inside Default so you get the best of both worlds. A custom layout and the DAZ provided layout without any conflict. As to cons? Well, none that I can think of. Except maybe still seeing "Default" in the main list. That annoys me sometimes. :D

edited December 1969

adamr001 said:

Inside vs. Outside of "Default"... Yes, there is a point in setting it up outside of Default. By doing so, I keep MY metadata completely separate from the DAZ Metadata. All the default Metadata and hierarchy will remain inside Default so you get the best of both worlds. A custom layout and the DAZ provided layout without any conflict. As to cons? Well, none that I can think of. Except maybe still seeing "Default" in the main list. That annoys me sometimes. :D
    Hi Adam...

I thought it might be for people just starting out, thanks for the response.

Metadata...confuses the hell out of me. When you say your Metadata, are you talking about metadata that you have personally created?

I agree that the default is annoying I much preferred when they had the unassigned category. I also find all the folders that you can't move or rename annoying. I think I've seen a fix for it but can't remember where unfortunately.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

Metadata...confuses the hell out of me. When you say your Metadata, are you talking about metadata that you have personally created?

I agree that the default is annoying I much preferred when they had the unassigned category. I also find all the folders that you can't move or rename annoying. I think I've seen a fix for it but can't remember where unfortunately.

Unassigned still exists! You just kind of have to trick DS into letting you have it.

The *best* way to do this is:

1) Open DS.
    2) Install Content
    3) Search Known Directories for New Files (Content Library context menu > Scn known Directories...)
    4) Categorize your Content from Default > Unassigned
    5) Content Library Context Menu > Content DB Maintenance > Process Metadata Queue

This avoids letting DS "Pre-categorize" new content AND still maintains the DAZ Default structure (anything automatically created in Default cannot be moved/deleted/etc. Another "Pro" to organizing outside of Default).

edited December 1969

ETA: Categories ARE Metadata. I'm abusing the Metadata system and the "Remove Orphaned References" function to create a bunch of new categories. :)

The categories that get created as part of the automatic processing of Metadata included with installs are just DAZ metadata, just like the compatiblity metadata. It's pretty much just anything that gets stuffed into the CMS database. ;)

edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Pendraia said:

Unassigned still exists! You just kind of have to trick DS into letting you have it.

The *best* way to do this is:

1) Open DS.
    2) Install Content
    3) Search Known Directories for New Files (Content Library context menu > Scn known Directories...)
    4) Categorize your Content from Default > Unassigned
    5) Content Library Context Menu > Content DB Maintenance > Process Metadata Queue

This avoids letting DS "Pre-categorize" new content AND still maintains the DAZ Default structure (anything automatically created in Default cannot be moved/deleted/etc. Another "Pro" to organizing outside of Default).

So if I understand you correctly...if I follow this process and categorise outside of default DS will not precategorise content?

Because when I did that in the past it still placed a lot of stuff elsewhere besides the unassigned folder which is why I started to categorise inside default...I had less to reassign.

My biggest bugbear is when new categories turn up that can't be changed easily. For example there is a people and a figures\people having both is silly. I think I may try shifting it back to outside of categories...I really don't like the way they have changed categories in DS4. I loved it in DS3...

edited December 1969

So if I understand you correctly…if I follow this process and categorise outside of default DS will not precategorise content?That's correct. It will, if you do the Process Metadata Queue, create those same categories *after* the fact however. Skipping that entirely (and indeed, stopping it from happening at startup (there's a checkbox on the screen) will prevent it from happening but it will also keep compatibility and "products" from populating. That's why another reason why you stay outside of Default. Leave that to the DAZ land and pretty much ignore it. Your personal categories should be outside of Default and they'll be ignored when you (post categorization) process the metadata queue.

Because when I did that in the past it still placed a lot of stuff elsewhere besides the unassigned folder which is why I started to categorise inside default…I had less to reassign.You shouldn't have to venture outside of Default > Unassigned to categorize after scanning. If you do, then there is something wrong with the way your Content Directory maps are setup.

My biggest bugbear is when new categories turn up that can’t be changed easily. For example there is a people and a figures\people having both is silly.

Agreed, but if you categorize outside of Default, who cares? You'll never see it or use it.

I think I may try shifting it back to outside of categories…I really don’t like the way they have changed categories in DS4.I didn't like it at first either, however, the new features, duplicating categories, figure compatibility, product-listing made a convert of me. The key is to just stay out of the Default area except to use Default > Unassigned.

edited January 2013

adamr001 said:
    So if I understand you correctly…if I follow this process and categorise outside of default DS will not precategorise content?That's correct. It will, if you do the Process Metadata Queue, create those same categories *after* the fact however. Skipping that entirely (and indeed, stopping it from happening at startup (there's a checkbox on the screen) will prevent it from happening but it will also keep compatibility and "products" from populating. That's why another reason why you stay outside of Default. Leave that to the DAZ land and pretty much ignore it. Your personal categories should be outside of Default and they'll be ignored when you (post categorization) process the metadata queue. Okay...I wasn't aware that I needed to be doing that. If I do that should I shift my categories that I already have first to outside the default area? Does it need to be turned back on at all? And does it stop me using smart content?

adamr001 said:

Because when I did that in the past it still placed a lot of stuff elsewhere besides the unassigned folder which is why I started to categorise inside default…I had less to reassign.You shouldn't have to venture outside of Default > Unassigned to categorize after scanning. If you do, then there is something wrong with the way your Content Directory maps are setup.I don't think that they are incorrectly setup see image below...

My biggest bugbear is when new categories turn up that can’t be changed easily. For example there is a people and a figures\people having both is silly.
    Agreed, but if you categorize outside of Default, who cares? You'll never see it or use it.
    True...

I think I may try shifting it back to outside of categories…I really don’t like the way they have changed categories in DS4.I didn't like it at first either, however, the new features, duplicating categories, figure compatibility, product-listing made a convert of me. The key is to just stay out of the Default area except to use Default > Unassigned.
    Well I'll give it a try... edited to add image
    Untitled-1_copy.jpg
    1110 x 1080 - 166K
    Post edited by Pendraia on
    edited December 1969

If I do that should I shift my categories that I already have first to outside the default area?IMO, yes, you should. If you don't want the default categories interferering with your structure.
    Does it need to be turned back on at all? And does it stop me using smart content?
    If you don't process the full metadata process, then yes, you might see issues with smart content.
    I don’t think that they are incorrectly setup see image below…I don't see any issues either. I'd need to see an example of something you had to go outside of Unassigned to categorize (assuming you follow the above process where you scan before accepting default metadata).
  • 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,276
    edited December 1969

Hope you don't mind me resurrecting this threat, but it looks like a related question. I posted the question in the DIM thread in Commons but it seems to have got lost

I'm trialing DIM installing to another folder with Genesis Starter Essentials (uninstalling from current folder, changing paths, etc. in Preferences). Got all that working but the files all appear under Default\Unassigned and in my Categories they are orphaned. Is there a way of changing the base path for all my orphans at once? If not it is back to plan A, installed to My Library and Content directories.

Thanks

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Hey Adam,

Nice script there.

I have a question for you. I recently converted over one of AprilYSH's Betty Hair and then redid and created new MATS saving them out in the few file format. I was able to get the hair to show up just fine in the Smart Content folder but when I load and click on the hair it won't show the newly made MATS. How does one get those to show up in the Smart Content area? I'm slowly beginning to like Smart Content but this is an annoyance I hope to overcome.

Teach me! :-)

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

I think what Adam is telling us is apropos only for those who do not use DIM and was written prior to the new utility. The DIM processes metadata WHILE installing so you don't have an opportunity to change anything before import of metadata.

Unless default>unassigned done once will take care of it. That part I see is key, but I don't quite understand how. It's still a bit of a black box to me. So I could be totally wrong.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Another poster in another thread wrote me a little tutorial. It did the trick for me. Got all my mats showing up with the matching figure. YAY

edited December 1969

Spit said:
    I think what Adam is telling us is apropos only for those who do not use DIM and was written prior to the new utility. The DIM processes metadata WHILE installing so you don't have an opportunity to change anything before import of metadata.

Unless default>unassigned done once will take care of it. That part I see is key, but I don't quite understand how. It's still a bit of a black box to me. So I could be totally wrong.

Thanks Spit I understand that DIM processes as it installs, but this should also be relevant if you moved your content onto, say, an external drive. I am just looking for suggestions on how to change the base path enmass, or ideally just the orphaned files base path (which is where DIM comes in). The only way I can see is going into every folder in my categories and changing them, which would be a long and tedious job when what I want to be doing is rendering. I need to decide which way to go because I want to install these possibly updated files next weekend so I can get back to important stuff :-)

edited December 1969

I'm not quite sure what you're after 3Dreamer. Changing the base path of an item is pretty easy (you can see how it's done in my tutorial on moving DS4 from one computer to another). However, the base path is only the bit before the content/runtime directory. After that, the relative path must be maintained for DIM to manage the install.

Does that help?

edited December 1969

To use DIM and still be able to do custom categories the easy way (via scanning known directories), this is what I do:

Start DS.
    Select Poser Formats on the content library pane.
    Start DIM.
    STOP the CMS service.
    Use DIM to install.
    START the CMS service.
    Select categories
    Scan known directories for files.
    Categorize from Unassigned.
    Repeat until done installing.
    Use Content DB Maintenance to Re-Import Metadata.

edited December 1969

Thanks for that Adam, what I am trying to avoid is the 'Categorize from Unassigned' bit for all my content again, if I could change the base path on all the orphaned files at once - since everything is installed to the default path - that should fix the entries, or it at least did for the couple of individual files I tried. If there is no obvious way of changing that I'll have to go back to the drawing board about how I install everything. Think I might be back to installing over the current folders again. Thanks.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Hi Adam

i followed your steps to set up the content database you posted. First my content is being installed to E:/3D Content so that is where I put the 3 files from your zip. Also in that folder I have subfolders that I started installing content to.

I followed all the steps until I got to the part where it says
    In the resulting window make certain “UserData1 N/A” is checked

I have no check box under userdata to check so I went ahead and followed the next step then where it says to

Once the import has finished, go to Categories > Utilities, Scripts
    Right click on “deleteme” and select “Browse to File Location

I have no deleteme there

and nothing new has showed up in my content library...wht am I doing wrong|? Do I have to turn off the CMS prior to following these steps?

myfolder.jpg
    511 x 414 - 155K
    categories.jpg
    595 x 365 - 151K
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

So I have now deleted the files I installed so far except for the Genesis Starter Essentials