Carrara why do you love it and what do you use it for....

2»

Comments

• petefpetef Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

The "Welsh mountains" :bug:and I think I've go problems with a bit of snow, where I am we don't get snowed in as such quite high up for Derby just ice's up like glass.

Be safe..

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812
    edited December 1969

petef said:
    Actually a sensible question Wendy I assume you take the Carrara Images on and SD card or something to your photomart here in the UK we have only "Boots" the chemist which takes Memory Cards or CD, anyways I assume you render a large file, what sort of res do you go for.

Thanks

Pete

I sent them by bluetooth to my phone and used the bluetooth option on the photo kiosk actually.
    they thought they were from some sort of game btw
    edited December 1969

WendyCatz

I class myself as a very tech savvy person, but wow that's quite a cool workflow, shows tech at its best use.

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

I still like Carrara best :) The VAST majority of my two comics up on my website (http://www.fenric.com) are done with Carrara. The two exceptions are the very earliest, which were done by hand and are awful, and a few individual panels that needed dynamic cloth and so were done in Poser.

I love the ease of using figures. I LOVE the ease of editing models - forget moprhs, really: just edit the mesh directly. I like the camera navigation and the reasonable mix of hotkey and mouse usage. I like the way it can handle 100 lights without blinking - forget Global Illumination: just put more lights in. Carrara can handle an obscene number of polygons without choking. It really doesn't crash very often at all. It can use an amazingly huge library of pre-created content... It's still my favorite by a long way.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Ah, I see your problem. When I last had stuff done I was still living in the Vicinity of London. Up here on this Welsh mountain I would have to go down to town to see if I could find anything like it nowadays.

Sounds like you are going to be even colder tonight than we are. They say -6 or -7 tonight in the colder spots.

Am I safe in assuming that's in Celsius?

In my neck of the woods (north-central Wisconsin) We can expect a high temperature on Sunday of -6ºF. Converted for the rest of the world, that would be about -21ºC.

To keep things on topic, I like Carrara because when I do a complicated render and I use the Render Nodes, all the extra computers provide added warmth when it's so cold here that the snowmen beg to come inside!

Picture_4.png
    331 x 144 - 34K
    Picture_2.png
    248 x 152 - 43K
    edited December 1969

Yep were Celsius so if your -21 you will by a BIG margin, us Brit's ALWAYS complain about the weather but really don't know what it can be really like.

FWIW you do win the award for most creative use of Carrara and if someone can beat using Carrara as Heating then I'd be truly amazed.

Fenric I'm with you on the Lights and up to now only one scene for me has brought Carrara slightly to its knee's.

With a few changes to Carrara it really could be a major contender in the 3D arena, but saying that for the price and its ability it has NO competition, it batters the likes of Strata 3D etc, but being the poor cousin to DS (at least in the marketing area for DAZ) it hasn't for a long time had the respect it deserves, as they say it's a "Crying Shame".

edited December 1969

They still make Strata 3D? That was one I toyed with when Raydream quit working for me. I'll have to check it out.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,800
    edited December 1969

I like Carrara cause t keeps me cool

especially on days like today!!

temp_today.jpg
    524 x 184 - 37K
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

In my neck of the woods (north-central Wisconsin) We can expect a high temperature on Sunday of -6ºF. Converted for the rest of the world, that would be about -21ºC.

UGH! We dipped below 0ºC a few times here in North Texas - but we usually get above freezing during the day. Had some snow earlier this week but it did not survive 24 hours. After nearly 30 years in Canada...this is my idea of what winter should be. :)

Actually, better still would be swapping between here and Australia for 6 months at a time...then I can stay nice and warm all the time.

To stay on topic; even though I am learning LightWave now, I'm still creating in Carrara because I'm still most comfortable there. I haven't tried OBJ export/import between the two programs yet...who know, maybe that will open a whole new dimension for my hobby?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

Stezza, you at the Gong? :) Only 43 here at Newie .

What do I use Carrara for? I use it so my wife can get the sh8ts with me because I get up at 6am and fire it up then stop at about 8..pm to cook boiled chicken and burnt vegies for dinner - Unfortunately there is no edit undo button for the boiled chicken..,... the vegies I can do without as they are just decoration...

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Stezza, you at the Gong? :) Only 43 here at Newie.

Newcastle? My aunt & family live in Belmont. Dad is over in Perth.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

Yes we have the best of both worlds - surf and lake - just waiting for the Tsunami to clear out the crappy buildings along the foreshore ....
    we are due for ours about now - every two hundred years and we are about 50 years late ;(

• The Pencil NeckThe Pencil Neck Posts: 163
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

UGH! We dipped below 0ºC a few times here in North Texas - but we usually get above freezing during the day. Had some snow earlier this week but it did not survive 24 hours. After nearly 30 years in Canada...this is my idea of what winter should be. :)

Actually, better still would be swapping between here and Australia for 6 months at a time...then I can stay nice and warm all the time.

To stay on topic; even though I am learning LightWave now, I'm still creating in Carrara because I'm still most comfortable there. I haven't tried OBJ export/import between the two programs yet...who know, maybe that will open a whole new dimension for my hobby?

I'm in North Texas, too. Frisco. But I grew up in South Texas (Houston) and spent a lot of years in Arizona and Southern California.

For me, snow is something you drive to on vacation. Except for a couple of years we spent in Pennsylvania, these are the worst winters I've ever had to endure... and of course, compared to most of the world, they're mild. But... growing up, it snowed 1 time. 1 time.

I don't do snow.

Back on topic, I'm really enjoying Carrara. Still learning what it can do. In a few months, I'll make a decision on whether or not it's what I want to use going forward but... frankly... my needs at this point are minimal and Carrara is a great compromise between DS and something like Maya/3DS Max (which are kinda overkill for me.)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221
    edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    I still like Carrara best :) The VAST majority of my two comics up on my website (http://www.fenric.com) are done with Carrara. The two exceptions are the very earliest, which were done by hand and are awful, and a few individual panels that needed dynamic cloth and so were done in Poser.

I love the ease of using figures. I LOVE the ease of editing models - forget moprhs, really: just edit the mesh directly. I like the camera navigation and the reasonable mix of hotkey and mouse usage. I like the way it can handle 100 lights without blinking - forget Global Illumination: just put more lights in. Carrara can handle an obscene number of polygons without choking. It really doesn't crash very often at all. It can use an amazingly huge library of pre-created content... It's still my favorite by a long way.

Here, Here!
    Have you tried Tim Payne's Sky domes? The mid-quality light rig uses 161 lights! But talk about smooth shadows without using effects of any other kind! I also have scenes with insane numbers of polys and they still render pretty quick. Carrara is magic!
  • Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

I am not a professional 3D Artist, but nontheless I love and adore Carrara and never want to use anything else to give my ideas a visual life.
    http://rhian-skyblade.deviantart.com/gallery/ (nothing too amazing - but yet more as I could ever hope to do by simply drawing...)

As I wrote several times, already.

1) Interface and Useability
    Carrara has a very slender and easy to use User Interface. It's an overall very tidy 3D application. I do not feel intimidated or annoyed by the symbols or menu... unlike with Poser and DazStudio...

Yes yes, there are a few things that could be better - however, there is always room for improvement. For example "live" preview of the deformer and particle/fire/water feature in Carrara. But I haven't died without it yet and still like Carrara better than Poser and DazStudio.

2) Modelling and Manipulating Meshes
    Carrara allows me to manipulate meshes from models, creating something "unique" or different out of things many others use too.
    In Poser and dazStudio I can't do it at such a delicate level...

I also can do my models in Carrara ... and I got myself now also ZBrush and GoZ... which makes it even more fun!!!! (Hopefully GoZ will be compatible with Carrara 8.5)

3) Posing
    Posing my Characters - no matter if creature or humanoid - is much easier, faster and allows more flexibility than Poser and DazStudio can do with their clumsy bulky shiny pixle wasting and uncomfortable UI...

4) Shader
    I love the Carrara Shader. Imho I never have seen anything better and more comfortable.
    Yes, several programs have something similar - but honestly... not as comfortable and intuitive as Carrara offers it.
    I didn't really like it in Vue and Bryce very much...

5) All in One
    Carrara can do pretty good landscaping, vegetation and skies by itself (yes Vue does better skies, but still).
    Poser and Daz more or less require additional products to do that... and most of it bases on a skydome and texture...(that's at least my experience from the past)

I can use my Poser and Daz Products in Carrara - and even make them look much better than in Poser or DazStudio.
    I do not deny that Poser or DazStudio can get some very good and cool results.... though, Carrara allows more fexlibility and more possibilities when it comes to textures, shading and creating my own shader domains on a model.

------------------------------
    My 2 cent

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,800
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

What do I use Carrara for? I use it so my wife can get the sh8ts with me because I get up at 6am and fire it up then stop at about 8..pm to cook boiled chicken and burnt vegies for dinner - Unfortunately there is no edit undo button for the boiled chicken..,... the vegies I can do without as they are just decoration...

south of the 'Gong, on the shores of Lake Illawarra.. my sis lives at Wangi Wangi

topped 46C in the backyard and Carrara was in overdrive :)

edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    head wax said:

south of the 'Gong, on the shores of Lake Illawarra.. my sis lives at Wangi Wangi

topped 46C in the backyard and Carrara was in overdrive :)

But was it a dry heat? ;-)

I'm not sure which is worse. That heat, or the cold we're going to be getting. At least with the heat, you can jump in the water to cool off if your AC goes out. Not sure what to do if the fire goes out when it's this cold, except to bundle up and conserve body heat.