Point at needs an adjustment. Where is it.

oldblockoldblock Posts: 99
edited December 1969 in New Users

I would like to have a head point at an object but the wrong axis is activated.
How do I change it?

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited January 2013

I'm not exactly sure I know what you mean by "the wrong axis is activated", but here goes.

If you want tp turn a character's head, you would go into the Parameters tab and use the "yrot" parameter of the character's head to turn it. You may also have to use the "yrot" parameter of the character's neck as well. It depends on how much of a turn you want the head to make.

I have also found that, depending on the pose, I have to adjust the "tilt" of the head by adjusting the Bend rotation parameter for it to look correct, because just changing the "yrot" parameter puts the head at a strange angle.

Hope that helps.

Post edited by Miss B on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

Point at aligns the twist axis, which is the y axis for the head, towards the target - as you've found that isn't helpful. Changing the twist axis would not be simple (or rather, restoring the rigging afterwards would not be simple).

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited January 2013

Edit: Misread.

Truth be told, I've never found an easy way to ensure a head points in the right direction. If I ever find some good scripting tutorials, it'll probably be one of the first things I work on adding.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

Maybe just create a 'Point-of-View' camera parented to (and located in) the head, look through the camera, and rotate/tilt/pitch the head until it is facing whatever you want it to be facing?

• oldblockoldblock Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

Many thanks guys

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I find point at to be most useful with spot lights and cameras, I create a small sphere that doesn't show up in the render (its under settings) and use that as the Point At target

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    I find point at to be most useful with spot lights and cameras, I create a small sphere that doesn't show up in the render (its under settings) and use that as the Point At target

I usually use a Null for the same purpose when trying to target lights at a specific point.