Illuminating Lamp Shades (WARNING: NO NUDITY)

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I did this render (WARNING: NO NUDITY!!! OMG! does that mean you won't look?)

http://wancow.deviantart.com/art/room-for-two-348644476

Anyway, I'm hoping someone could clue me into what kind of settings I need to get the lamp shades to look more like this:
http://pnn32.deviantart.com/art/Octane-Mesh-light-and-Transmission-material-344553128

The bulbs in the lamps have UberArea light applied...

I tried applying transluscency and 90% opacity to the lamp shades, but I couldn't get them to pass light through them and become illuminated.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

Maybe put a light in the lamp ? In Bryce or poser I would put a small light inside and adjust the fall off

A naked lamp. :coolgrin:

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

What I do is use ShaderMixer to create a shader for the shade that uses a Ray Type test brick (Functions>Utility>Ray Tracing) to vary the opacity - low for transmission rays, higher for others. That, plus translucency, can give a good result for things like lampshades which are not served well by the standard shaders.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Oh... :( or: it's gonna be harder than I thought :)

Thanks Richard! So, Shader Mixer... something I've been avoiding... I guess I can't do that no mo... :) I shall return to this thread when I have completely pulled my hair out playing with the SM... :)

edited December 1969

This is where I'm at at the moment...

This is the very first time I've enabled the shader mixer tab... I'm... a little lost :)

I shouldn't be, but I be a wee bit lost :)

aaaa.jpg
    295 x 643 - 70K
    aaa.jpg
    691 x 554 - 97K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited January 2013

The brick should be testing for Transmission rays, and it gives a true/false output - you need to feed that to an If/The/Else brick (Utility>Control) with the colour for transmission rays (dark, as we want it more transparent) and others (light, so the shade isn't see-through).

LightTransmitMat.JPG
    728 x 439 - 36K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

wancow said:

Thanks Richard! So, Shader Mixer... something I've been avoiding... I guess I can't do that no mo... :) I shall return to this thread when I have completely pulled my hair out playing with the SM... :)

Richard's way is the best...but you can get 'passable' results with using UberSurface on the shade...turn down the Diffuse strength (to about 30%) and turn off things like 'velvet', sss and so on...just use translucency....and set it to something like 70% (Diffuse + Translucency = 100%).

No, it's not quite the same, but is a quicker 'fake'...

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    wancow said:

Richard's way is the best...but you can get 'passable' results with using UberSurface on the shade...turn down the Diffuse strength (to about 30%) and turn off things like 'velvet', sss and so on...just use translucency....and set it to something like 70% (Diffuse + Translucency = 100%).

No, it's not quite the same, but is a quicker 'fake'...

I got sidetracked with Wendy's new undies for Genesis... I'm easily distracted by sparklies :)

I think I"m going to focus on doing it Richards way... or at least try...

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Sneaks in to watch and learn...

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Popcorn Pen?

edited December 1969

If I sucessfully build a shader, Pendria, I'll post it on ShareCG.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Popcorn Pen?

thanks...I'd offer you a tim tam but they're all melted from the heat. ; )

thanks Wancow! It would be interesting to look at the network.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Oh no don't get Pen started on Tim Tams again. LOL

Yes anything shader mixer these days and I am all over it and saving a lot of info and links.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Oh no don't get Pen started on Tim Tams again. LOL

Yes anything shader mixer these days and I am all over it and saving a lot of info and links.

Its too hot for timtams ; ) lol...at 39 they just melt before you pick them up unless you stick them in the fridge.

I'm also into shadermixer...the more I find out the more I realise how much I don't know...

edited December 1969

I am so scared to ask, but as I was born the year of the cat, and I am a Leo... curiosity, and all that...

What is a Tim Tam?

edited December 1969

A really good, chocolate cover 'biscuit' (cookie for those of us who speak American)...made in Australia. They are rather popular there...and in a few other places, nearby. They are available here, in the US, at Target stores...usually only over the winter months.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

You can create translucent surfaces using UberSurface shaders. The lamp below was rendered using this technique with an area light thrown in for general illumination.

Lamp_Example.png
    897 x 884 - 698K
    edited December 1969

Hmmm... interesting... I wonder if Tim Tams are the reason I can't get Marzapan over Christmas anymore... :(

edited December 1969

You can create translucent surfaces using UberSurface shaders. The lamp below was rendered using this technique with an area light thrown in for general illumination.

HOF, can you tell me what setting you used on the UberSurface?

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

In the image above, I just turned on Translucency and set it to 40%. The lighting was done using a point light and a spotlight pointing downwards (since the point light alone wasn't giving me the light spread underneath the lamp). The lamp shade texture was used as a translucency map, as well as for the diffuse map.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    A really good, chocolate cover 'biscuit' (cookie for those of us who speak American)...made in Australia. They are rather popular there...and in a few other places, nearby. They are available here, in the US, at Target stores...usually only over the winter months.
    Not just really good...they are the best chocolate biscuit you have ever tasted. They are very big over here...but at the moment it's so hot(yesterday was 39c) that chocolate melts in the cupboard so your more dedicated chocoholics store chocolate in the fridge. Wouldn't have mentioned them but I got offered popcorn...lol
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Not just really good...they are the best chocolate biscuit you have ever tasted. They are very big over here...but at the moment it's so hot(yesterday was 39c) that chocolate melts in the cupboard so your more dedicated chocoholics store chocolate in the fridge. Wouldn't have mentioned them but I got offered popcorn...lol

I had a friend in college, from Australia (and another one from NZ)...and he used to rave about them all the time. He even shared once...

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Pendraia said:
    mjc1016 said:

I had a friend in college, from Australia (and another one from NZ)...and he used to rave about them all the time. He even shared once...lol Sharing lol...they must have liked you a lot to share...lol

Sorry Wancow for taking the thread off track...

edited December 1969

I never mind when discussions go off track... hell, I'm as guilty as anyone here :)

edited December 1969

Managed to get this! Thanks for all the help, everyone... I'll post the two relevant shaders in a bit.

lamp.jpg
    474 x 603 - 163K
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Managed to get this! Thanks for all the help, everyone... I'll post the two relevant shaders in a bit.

Looks great!

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Pendraia said:
    mjc1016 said:

I had a friend in college, from Australia (and another one from NZ)...and he used to rave about them all the time. He even shared once...lol Sharing lol...they must have liked you a lot to share...lol

Well, I did have to break out my bottle of Chivas in compensation...

HoF...yeah, that's what I was talking about...except I've always done it balancing the Diffuse/Translucent numbers. (I need to install that lamp pack that was a freebie a few weeks ago..I thought I had some other lamps installed, but can't find them...this one has reversed normals, it looks like).

lamp.png
    800 x 1000 - 403K
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Pendraia said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Pendraia said:
    mjc1016 said:

I had a friend in college, from Australia (and another one from NZ)...and he used to rave about them all the time. He even shared once...

lol Sharing lol...they must have liked you a lot to share...lol

Well, I did have to break out my bottle of Chivas in compensation...

lol...

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Thank you...downloading to have a look.
    edited December 1969

Please post any results you get, good or bad :)