Second Annual Kit Bashing Contest WINNERS ANNOUNCED

MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
edited April 2013 in The Commons

I'm thrilled to announce the winners of this year's Kitbashing Contest. Thank you to everyone who took part. It was a great fun contest and the quality of the renders most impressive. After much deliberation and debate, the judges have given me the following winners:

CLOTHING
1st Prize – any three Daz Original Bundles
Storypilot: Queen of Sky and Shadow

2nd Prize – any two Daz Original Bundles
Scorpio Dragon: Harlequin and Poirot

3rd Prize – any one Daz Original Bundle
Satira Capporicio, Lizabet & the Plum Puddings/Flying Dutchman

Hon Mentions $10 Daz Voucher
leifgl, Snow Leopard
Gilikshe, Steampunk Stalker
Antara - Gift Of Time
decoyboy Station Life

Best First Time Clothing Kit Bash
$10 Daz voucher and any one product from Marieah’s store and any one product from Draagonstorm’s store excluding bundles.
SGeisha - /Etiquite Lesson:patiently waiting for one’s husband/

Best Clothing Kit Bash Using Non Cloth Shaders
$10 Daz voucher and any Marieah product excluding bundles, any Zigrapphix product and any Canary 3d product.
JohnDelaquiox - Ninja Master Keno
Zawarkal, Winter

Best Clothing Kit Bash Using a 4blueyes Product
Any three 4blueyes products excluding bundles.
scorpio64dragon
Cybersox13
barbult

Best Clothing Kit Bash Using Exclusively Marieah’s Shaders
$10 Daz voucher and any two Marieah products excluding bundles
smoke14

Best Use of Poses in a Kit Bashing Render
Any FeralFey product and any First Bastion product excluding bundles.
Marcus Didius Falco - A3 fighting squad
KickAir 8P's Princess, Warrior, Target

PROP KIT BASH
Best Building Kit Bash
$10 Daz Voucher, any FirstBastion product excluding bundles, any Marieah product excluding bundles, any FeralFey product excluding bundles, any Canary3d product, any Draagonstorm product excluding bundles
Sean Riesch - Tramps Steamer in desert
MelanieL, Cloister

Best Use of a 3doji Product in a KitBash Render (clothing or prop)
Any three 3doji products and any Marieah product
Not Awarded

INSTRUCTIONS TO WINNERS
Please send an email to [email protected] in the following format. (Javascript error workaround - email address is marieah at bigpond dot com)
Heading: Kitbashing Contest Winner
Your Daz User Name
Your Daz account email address
Prize Won
Prize Selection

Once I have all the information, I can send it to Daz so your prizes can be added to your Daz 3d account.

Please note that a Daz 3d Suite is not a bundle.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

ooooo this will be fun :D

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Never got close last go around, but I'll fiddle at this way way. Kinda of what I'm into now anyway.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

I'm a bit confused by 'Best First Time Clothing Kit Bash' - is this for newcomers or begginers only?
    And also what is classified as a 'Non Cloth Shaders'.
    I have a couple of ideas but I'm not sure if they fit in any of the catergories?
    Thanks.

• Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oh cool :) Nice you do that again.. funny I just work on a render which will classyfy :D

• gingercakes47gingercakes47 Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

I should try this.

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

I'm a bit confused by 'Best First Time Clothing Kit Bash' - is this for newcomers or begginers only?
    And also what is classified as a 'Non Cloth Shaders'.
    I have a couple of ideas but I'm not sure if they fit in any of the catergories?
    Thanks.

First Time Kit Bash is for people who have not previously Kit Bashed.

Non Cloth Shaders are just that. They might be gems or metals or bricks or anything except cloth. Normally, if you are retexturing clothing in a Kit Bash you'll use cloth or fabric shaders such as Fabricator, Lace Maker, MachPack, Ye Olde Clothe or Totally Bazaar (to use examples from my collection.) This category invites people to try to something different to see if it works.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I think maybe you might have been expecting me to pull in and ask questions yet again. I already know that you do accept Bryce textures, generated from the DTE on a par with shaders.

However do these count as cloth shaders or non cloth shaders ?

edited January 2013

OK thanks thats what I thought it ment, as I don't have enough of the qualifying products and have always kitbashed, I guess I'll have to pass on this one.

Having just seen Chohole's question it made me wonder I usually use Ubersurface2 shader and use any seemless tile not always a 'fabric one sometimes something from Filter Forge, how does this count.
    thanks again

Post edited by scorpio on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    edited January 2013

OK thanks thats what I thought it meant, as I don't have enough of the qualifying products and have always kitbashed, I guess I'll have to pass on this one.

The first time kit bash is just one of the many categories. Veteran kit bashers can enter for the main prizes, namely the DAZ bundles, and can win in the various sub categories like props and poses. There's no specific stipulation on those.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I think maybe you might have been expecting me to pull in and ask questions yet again. I already know that you do accept Bryce textures, generated from the DTE on a par with shaders.

They are cloth shaders if they are designed to simulate or resemble cloth.

edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    chohole said:

So a tile that was taken from a piece of parchment would be ok, or something that was wallpaper, many of the Filterforge tiles dont stipulate that they are cloth.

edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    chohole said:

So a tile that was taken from a piece of parchment would be ok, or something that was wallpaper, many of the Filterforge tiles dont stipulate that they are cloth.

If you're using Filter Forge you'll need to make the tiles into shaders before you use them.

It's really obvious in Filter Forge which is cloth and which isn't. The cloth has a weave.

If you were making your own shaders and used parchment paper and a bump or displacement weave effect, then it would count as cloth. But if you wanted the dress to look like paper, and saved the parchment with settings suitable for paper, then it wouldn't count as cloth.

If you are still confused about what is cloth and what isn't, it might be wiser to stick with surfaces that show an obvious weave or state that they are cloth.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Will you post any tutorials for newbies? Last year I believe there was a tutorial on the grouping tool, maybe one on making tiles into shaders would be good.

edited December 1969

Will you post any tutorials for newbies? Last year I believe there was a tutorial on the grouping tool, maybe one on making tiles into shaders would be good.

This Fabricator tutorial will work http://www.sharecg.com/v/57749/view/3/PDF-Tutorial/Saving-Shaders-and-Packing-for-DS-Fabricator as long as you remember to include all settings and maps, and not just the diffuse and save them wherever you like and not into the Fabricator folder.

Canary3d has done a tutorial on how to change mat zones on the fly in DS and Poser, and I'm sure she'll post a link to it when she drops in. It is also included in my Pimp My Prop product.

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

Does this require using puchased products or can we use freebie shaders?

edited December 1969

Zawarkal said:

You can use any shaders - commercial, freebie or roll-your-own.

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    Zawarkal said:

You can use any shaders - commercial, freebie or roll-your-own.

great, I'm going to try to get into this challenge

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

To kick things off I'm going to post two NAE's. One was my entry from last year while the other was a render I did shortly after last year's contest ended. I have an idea of what I want to do this year, just need to find time to work on it.

Combat_Medic.jpg
    1539 x 1500 - 193K
    Armor_Girl_PUNCH.jpg
    1462 x 1425 - 184K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited January 2013

PROP PIMP KIT BASH CONTEST RULES
    1. You must use parts from at least two different building sets and use shaders to retexture at least the main surfaces (external walls and roofs)

For the Prop kit bash contest, do the building set parts have to be used to create a building, or am I also allowed to use building set parts to modify a vehicle structure?

Do I have to use ALL the parts from each building set, or is it ok to use only some of the parts? For example, using just the corner tower from set 1, just a wall segment from set 2, a roof piece from set 3, etc.

Post edited by sriesch on
  • WhiteMystWhiteMyst Posts: 212
    edited December 1969

For clothing renders,do hats and footwear count?

edited December 1969

1. You must use parts from at least two different building sets and use shaders to retexture at least the main surfaces (external walls and roofs)

For the Prop kit bash contest, do the building set parts have to be used to create a building, or am I also allowed to use building set parts to modify a vehicle structure?

Do I have to use ALL the parts from each building set, or is it ok to use only some of the parts? For example, using just the corner tower from set 1, just a wall segment from set 2, a roof piece from set 3, etc.

You only need to use some of the parts. That's what I meant in using the word "parts". Sorry if that wasn't clear.

edited December 1969

WhiteMyst said:

Yes they do. But kit bashing three outfits together using just dress, shoes and hat would probably not impress any contest judges who might be seeking something more inventive.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:

You only need to use some of the parts. That's what I meant in using the word "parts". Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    Got it, thanks!

I have one more question to add to the stack while waiting for your answer to the vehicles part of the previous question:
    We are supposed to list which shaders we used. If I'm using Bryce, and have either created or modified an existing shader, I don't have a name for it. should I just say "customized" and leave at that, or do I need to do anything more specific?

edited December 1969

Marieah said:

Got it, thanks!

I have one more question to add to the stack while waiting for your answer to the vehicles part of the previous question:
    We are supposed to list which shaders we used. If I'm using Bryce, and have either created or modified an existing shader, I don't have a name for it. should I just say "customized" and leave at that, or do I need to do anything more specific?

The vehicle is fine. Very creative.

Customized x(description) shader will work.

• WhiteMystWhiteMyst Posts: 212
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    WhiteMyst said:

Yes they do. But kit bashing three outfits together using just dress, shoes and hat would probably not impress any contest judges who might be seeking something more inventive.

I guess I should have asked if accessories count, footwear, headwear, sashes, capes, stuff like that. I'm trying to be more creative this time, if I can't do better then my last one I won't be entering. lol

edited December 1969

WhiteMyst said:
    Marieah said:
    WhiteMyst said:

I guess I should have asked if accessories count, footwear, headwear, sashes, capes, stuff like that. I'm trying to be more creative this time, if I can't do better then my last one I won't be entering. lol

All those things are part of an outfit, so they count. I would view things that are carried such as bags and swords as accessories that don't count because they are carried not worn.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    Canary3d has done a tutorial on how to change mat zones on the fly in DS and Poser, and I'm sure she'll post a link to it when she drops in. It is also included in my Pimp My Prop product.

Went ahead and copied that link: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/15625/15625_pimpmypropcanary3d.pdf

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    Feel free to post Kit Bashing examples here as inspiration for others . . .
    Not an entry because this is from last year, but every piece of cloth shown is using a shader: from Ye Olde Clothe Bundle Weavy Bands Rose & Horizontal Rose, from MachPack the black denim. Shaders applied to the Tavern Keeper shirt and belt, the Delivery Driver fG pants, the tops of the HomeslipperZZ fG, and the band of Afro Magic 1 Hair.

DS4.5Pro render, postwork in GIMP. Larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Hard Light

hard_light_by_kickair8p-d4vjbtx.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 381K
    edited January 2013

An entry please let me know if it doesn't meet the requirements, thanks.

Harlequin figure is wearing;
    M4 body suit
    Sleeves from the Echo set by prae availble Rendo
    Shoes are the Elfies by Badkittenco
    The Hat is from the free pirate outfit by Pretty 3D.
    The feathers in the hat are from a set called Bird of Paradise which is no longer availble.
    The belt is from the Journey scout set.

Pierrot figure is wearing;
    Top from the Echo outfit
    Trousers from the Way of the Samuri
    Shoes from the Noddy clothing,
    Cuffs from the Just Joking set
    Collar is also from the Echo set
    The Buttons are just spheres placed and parented.
    The hat is the free Boy Hair

Shaders used
    Furify
    Ubersurface2 my own presets.
    Mariah's Lace shader availble with the supersuit.
    Calida's Velvet Shader

Kitbash-1.jpg
    848 x 1200 - 380K
    Post edited by scorpio on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited December 1969

@scorpio64dragon - That is a beautiful render! The pieces fit together very well after you applied the shaders to them.