Songbird ReMix Open Rendering Season Contest Closes March 1st (commercial)

Songbird ReMixSongbird ReMix Posts: 289
edited April 2013 in The Commons

Songbird ReMix Open Rendering Season Contest Closes March 1st

It's time again for my annual contest...

Click here for details and how to enter

You can create an image and/or animation using any theme and any 2D/3D programs as long as it uses a least one visible and discernible Songbird Remix bird. The judge panel is pretty diverse so a wide variety of style has equal chance (although judges tend to favor images that shown birds prominently).

------------------------------------------------------
Grand Prize : $100 shopping spree at the Songbird ReMix Merchandise Store (or any 10 Songbird ReMix digital bird model series) plus all Songbird ReMix Volumes that have and will be released in 2013 (approx. $100+ Value)
1st Prize: $50 shopping spree at the Songbird ReMix Merchandise Store (or any 5 Songbird ReMix digital bird model series) plus all Songbird ReMix Volumes that are/will be released in 2013 (approx. $100+ Value)
2nd Prize: $50 shopping spree at the Songbird ReMix Merchandise Store OR any 5 Songbird ReMix digital bird model series volumes (approx. $100 Value)
3rd Prize: $30 shopping spree at the Songbird ReMix Merchandise Store OR any 3 Songbird ReMix digital bird model series volumes (approx. $60 Value)
Honorable Mentions: Any Songbird ReMix digital bird model series volume (approx. $10-25 Value)
--------------------------------------------------------

Below are works that have previously won or placed. Second Image below: Prizes

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

Title edited to add the (commercial) tag

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

thanks Ken :)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I am so gutted I can't enter this year and I was so looking forward to it again...Oh well I will have to make up for it next year. Hope it goes well Ken.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

I wonder if because of the contest any of the songbird paks would be going on sale?

• Songbird ReMixSongbird ReMix Posts: 289
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    I wonder if because of the contest any of the songbird paks would be going on sale?

Sorry, Songbird Remix items only go on sale twice a year... once, during the Annual PA sale (now in September) and on my Annual Audubon Charity sale (in late April). I limit my participation in sales, to keep the times my products are on sale, special. The contest, though marked "Commercial", isn't really designed as a sales promotion (and I certainly won't stop to you buying something in order to enter the contest :lol: ). I designed this contest years ago to get artists to actually put birds in images. With birds being the most common wildlife experience we have (walk outside-- see a bird), it's surprising to me how many birdless images there are.

I will have probably one new bird product (which will have an intro price sale) available during the contest period. It will be "Songbird Remix Waterfowl 1: Geese & Loons" . I guessing it will show up mid-to-late February. I'm currently finishing up the Swan Car (preview on the Songbird ReMix Facebook Page).

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

thanks for the info Ken, I have yet to enter any contest, still in the learning everything process, but will definintely keep an eye out for your sales and maybe can enter something next year :)

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

yayyy the bird contest !!!!

edited January 2013

Kharma said:
    thanks for the info Ken, I have yet to enter any contest, still in the learning everything process, but will definintely keep an eye out for your sales and maybe can enter something next year :)

You'll always find the latest info on products and sales in my Monthly Newsletter, or the Songbird Remix Facebook page, or my website, SongbirdReMix.com. I also have a Bird wiki that shows you every bird that's available (including the freebies) in Songbird Remix format.

Post edited by Songbird ReMix on
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:

you should enter this contest. The contest brings in people of all different skill levels. And you never know what is going to win.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Too true LX. I thought what the hell and entered 4 years ago and got an HM the first and second time I entered which spurred me on to 1st place last year. It is my rendering highlight of the year which is why I am so sad I can't enter this year.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

This is a great Contest Ken, and this year I can enter (I stocked up on songbirds when I had need for some months go). Even though I tend to buy stuff just because they look cool (spinal reflex or something), but I sometimes need to justify the purchase to myself with at least half a need ;-)

lets see what I can come up with (will be wacky of course)

edited December 1969

i've entered 3 or 4 times so far and last year was the only one i walked away empty handed. I think one thing about this contest is its not so much how skilled you are at rendering, its how well you use the birds in your image. So even a total newbie has a good chance of walking away with a prize.

edited December 1969

Kharma said:

you should enter this contest. The contest brings in people of all different skill levels. And you never know what is going to win.

This is very true. I use judges from many outside the 3D universe, in fact, only one judge works/use 3D and he's known to pick art quality over 3D skill and technique. Two of my judges are bird-centric but have been known to pick art and composition over substance and correct behavior. The Art Gallery owner always pick best art and composition but prefers provocative imagery (either loud colors or imagery). The final judge is a musician and her choice is always a surprise.

If you want correct bird behavior my included Field Guides or online wiki are excellent sources and will steer you in the right direction.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited December 1969

Maybe not a prize winner, but I like the spirit of freedom in this one. I made it very soon after buying the Hyacinth Macaw.

Thor_Free_2.jpg
    800 x 628 - 519K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

lovely colouring in that bird!

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Maybe not a prize winner, but I like the spirit of freedom in this one. I made it very soon after buying the Hyacinth Macaw.

Nice image! :) Was it meant to be an entry in the contest... or just to share? If it was an entry, please use the entry form on my website.

I do have the first entry posted now :)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited December 1969

barbult said:

Nice image! :) Was it meant to be an entry in the contest... or just to share? If it was an entry, please use the entry form on my website.

I do have the first entry posted now :)
    Well, just to share for now, I guess. (I confess, I hadn't read the entry rules when I posted it.) Maybe I'll rerender it larger and enter it later - unless I can come up with something newer and better before the deadline. :)

edited December 1969

hey Ken, when can we get some baby turkeys???

edited January 2013

hmmm... never had a request for those before... Eventually I will do a Motherhood2 and probably 3 and that's where I'd probably include turkey chicks. I already have the Motherhood chicks done with webbed feet -- but felt they needed "fluff" for volume 2 and that's been the goal of "2" (whenever I get time and ambition to finish it). I'll currently up against a deadline to get all 4 waterfowl volumes (Geese, Loons, Grebes, Ducks and Swans) done by my Audubon sale in April (so that's my primary focus). I also have revisions of various model bases to add to that. The Toucan base has undergone some significant changes this week and updates will probably be available next month.

Once beyond the Audubon and 10 year SBRM Anniversary sale, I'll be free to mix up my project list a little more. Besides the 5 raptor (Hawks, Falcons, Eagles, etc) volumes... Motherhood2, Hornbills and SBRM Asia will be in play.

I will have a somewhat bird-related product out in the next few weeks... the Elegant Swan (and sorry, the car doesn't count as an eligible Songbird Remix bird for the contest).

RSC-Popup2.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 102K
    RSC-Popup1.JPG
    1300 x 1000 - 86K
    Post edited by Songbird ReMix on
    edited December 1969

not really looking for a baby, more a juvenile. Here you often see large groups of hens and young birds. And you can't just scale down adult birds, the juvenile looks completely different, the heads are feathered, and the plumage is lighter and more variegated, almost striped.
    Usually see hens with about 50 young juvenile birds, about the size of chickens.

and don't tell me no one has ever requested it because i have bugged you about it before lol

Wild Turkeys are one of my favorite birds. They are one of the largest birds in our area and its really kool that they will frequent back yard feeders in the winter months. This year I have been super swamped with Turkeys. One day there must have been at least 500 birds in the field next to our apartment. It was really interesting to see. It was not one large group, if you looked closely you could tell that there were several smaller groups of 3 to 25 birds each. The smaller groups would move together though the large massive group. Each group took turns coming to my feeding station. When one group finish and left, the next would come in. Groups of Toms and Jakes would feed first, then the hens and young birds. It was an incredibly organized system.

The older birds are quite nervous and wary of people, but the younger birds are getting used to me and used to the idea that i bring food. The younger birds will come up to me when i am at the feeders, they get as close as 2 feet from me. If the hens see the younger birds too close to me they will attack the young bird, pecking and kicking it until it is far enough away from me that the hen feels its safe. They never go after me, they always go after the young birds. Momma is teaching her babies not to trust strangers lol.

looking forward to the toucan update

edited December 1969

so you have an Ostrich now, will we see Emus and Cassowaries soon?

edited December 1969

so you have an Ostrich now, will we see Emus and Cassowaries soon?

Eventually I will... though they are far, far down on the list. The next one-two years are pretty much booked with projects.

edited December 1969

this is why the ban on human cloning is so bad, we need extra Kens so we get more birds

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited December 1969

These animation and art work have been posted publicly for a while. but they have never been entered into any contest.

An afternoon at the bird feeder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UwTEYNu2OM

Things you can see in the woods. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDGw-chQc18
    Diana Dublin - Dragon Hunter ( I used the SBRM crow in the opening scene) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBbJ6xIlnmQ

Art work as follow.
    Humming Bird
    Snow Birds
    Twinkle BELLE

Have a great day :)

Twinkle-belle.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 432K
    snow_birds_4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 170K
    snow_birds_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 194K
    Ruby-Throated_Humming_Bird-01.jpg
    1020 x 765 - 204K
    edited December 1969

nice work-- thanks for sharing :)

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    These animation and art work have been posted publicly for a while. but they have never been entered into any contest.

Diana Dublin - Dragon Hunter ( I used the SBRM crow in the opening scene) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBbJ6xIlnmQ

Art work as follow.
    Humming Bird
    Snow Birds
    Twinkle BELLE

Delightful and playful, Ivy, and your choices for music and sound were spot on!

• DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
    edited December 1969

My submitted entry

GambelsQuailRender01.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 2M
    edited January 2013

nice work-- thanks for sharing :)

Thank you for watching.. I love using your birds in my animation.
    Unfortunately I am in the middle of a very big animation project series right now so i don't know if 'll be able to create any new animation to submit to this contest. this time around. that is why i posted these ones. :)
    Post edited by Ivy on
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Ivy said:

Art work as follow.
    Humming Bird
    Snow Birds
    Twinkle BELLE

Delightful and playful, Ivy, and your choices for music and sound were spot on!

Thank you very much watching & for the kind words.. I hope you got a chance to browse & enjoyed the rest of my 3d animation i have on my YouTube channel.

edited December 1969

My submitted entry

Beautifully done Dragon storm ,