How to save a morph in Daz 4 created with Zbrush?

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello everyone,

I have been following some tutorials and also read some posts but it seems I can't find the solution.

I'm using DAZ 4.0.3.9 Pro, along with Goz bridge and Zbrush, everything is fine, I can export the model (V4) to Zbrush by using Goz and vice versa.

But ok, when I have the morph in DAZ Studio, how can I save the morph so I can use it for other models or to create a file in order to inject the morphs to the figures?

When I try to save by going to File > Save as > DSF Morph File, I get an error message that says that I must select a TriAx Weight Mapped figure in the scene to save a DSF Morph File. (I have V4 selected in the scene).

I really hope somebody could help me with this because its very frustrating, is very easy to create and export-import the morph but so hard to save it for further uses, and just by saving the scene I can't use it to other figures.

Thank you very much in advance.
Roca

Comments

• OskarssonOskarsson Posts: 793
    edited December 1969

Hi Roca46

You need to use the free plugin called 'morph loader pro'. It's included in the latest versions of Studio (you might have to upgrade if you don't have it.) Make sure Genesis is selected (or V4 if you're using that), start the plugin, select 'choose morph files' and load in your .obj.
    There are several options to convert the size so make sure you'll select the right one. If you use the plugin 'Poserscaler' on the zbrush side just use the Poser measurements.
    The new morph will show up as a slider in the parameters/morphs category.

Good luck!

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I'll have to look at this... I'm not on my own PC atm, but I'll get to it. V4 is not triax weight mapped, so that's a hurdle, but I think you can save your morph anyway as a DSF file under Save As: Support Asset... but I have to check. Someone might be able to get to it before me, but I'm pretty sure this is where you need to go.

Ouch, just saw you're usling DS4.0, not DS4.5... so whatever I do might not apply.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

about V4, we can not save the morph as dsf morph file. (only triax weight map figure, can save morph as dsf,,)
    and can not save the morph which you loaded as morph inject poze file in ds 4. I think.
    (there seems to be free utility made by forum member,,, I do not clearly know,,, )

so you may need to use morph loader pro to load the morph shape as obj file which you saved ,,
    when you want to mix the shape to V4 on other scene.

I recommend you update the daz 4.0.3 to 4.5.1.6 curernt newest suitable version,,

because it can simply save the V4 with the morph as scene subset.

it can keep the morph controller which loaded to ds and keep current value .

and if you hope to mix the shape you can inject other character morph file to the subset victoria 4(which keep your original morph).

==========================================================
    in my pic,, left victoria 4.2 is loaded by usuall cr2 and morphs by power loader.
    so she does not have controller of my mixing original morph. (because I can not save the morph as new inj file,,)
    so I may need to load the morph obj file by morph loader,,,to use my original morph,,

but right victoria 4.2_sub is scene subset which I saved before. she has every injected morph for V4.2,
    and she have my mixing morph in morph>morph loader section.
    of course I can inject new morph (if I get new morph,,) or remove some morph from her (which have rem file,,)
    so I can mix new shape too .

subsetv4.JPG
    1035 x 636 - 89K
  • edited December 1969

Oskarsson said:
    Hi Roca46

You need to use the free plugin called 'morph loader pro'. It's included in the latest versions of Studio (you might have to upgrade if you don't have it.) Make sure Genesis is selected (or V4 if you're using that), start the plugin, select 'choose morph files' and load in your .obj.
    There are several options to convert the size so make sure you'll select the right one. If you use the plugin 'Poserscaler' on the zbrush side just use the Poser measurements.
    The new morph will show up as a slider in the parameters/morphs category.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response Oskarsson but the problem is not loading the morph in DAZ but saving it elsewhere for further uses. Since I'm using Goz bridge for Zbrush, export and import the model with the morphs is very easy, but I would like to have the morph saved in a catergory for other uses.

wancow said:
    I'll have to look at this... I'm not on my own PC atm, but I'll get to it. V4 is not triax weight mapped, so that's a hurdle, but I think you can save your morph anyway as a DSF file under Save As: Support Asset... but I have to check. Someone might be able to get to it before me, but I'm pretty sure this is where you need to go.

Ouch, just saw you're usling DS4.0, not DS4.5... so whatever I do might not apply.

Thanks wancow,
    I have been following a tutorial but I don't have the Save as: Suport Asset in my DAZ version, so as you say it doesn't apply, so I think the best solution is to try to update DAZ and see if the menus are the same as the ones of the tutorials.

about V4, we can not save the morph as dsf morph file. (only triax weight map figure, can save morph as dsf,,)
    and can not save the morph which you loaded as morph inject poze file in ds 4. I think.
    (there seems to be free utility made by forum member,,, I do not clearly know,,, )

so you may need to use morph loader pro to load the morph shape as obj file which you saved ,,
    when you want to mix the shape to V4 on other scene.

I recommend you update the daz 4.0.3 to 4.5.1.6 curernt newest suitable version,,

because it can simply save the V4 with the morph as scene subset.

it can keep the morph controller which loaded to ds and keep current value .

and if you hope to mix the shape you can inject other character morph file to the subset victoria 4(which keep your original morph).

==========================================================
    in my pic,, left victoria 4.2 is loaded by usuall cr2 and morphs by power loader.
    so she does not have controller of my mixing original morph. (because I can not save the morph as new inj file,,)
    so I may need to load the morph obj file by morph loader,,,to use my original morph,,

but right victoria 4.2_sub is scene subset which I saved before. she has every injected morph for V4.2,
    and she have my mixing morph in morph>morph loader section.
    of course I can inject new morph (if I get new morph,,) or remove some morph from her (which have rem file,,)
    so I can mix new shape too .

Thanks for the information kitakoredaz, another problem is that I don't have an OBJ file because I'm using Goz bridge for Zbrush so it sends automatically the morphs to DAZ with just two clicks.

I think that, as you say, I should update to the newest version of DAZ Studio, so hopefully I can solve this problem

By the way, this is an excellent tutorial I think, but since it is not the same version as my DAZ Studio, then the menus are different but that can be solved updating.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/packaging/tutorials/saving_morphs/start

Cheers!
    Roca

• edited December 2012

Ok,

Now I was able to save the morph but I don't know where to place it in order to appear on DAZ menu.

It created a folder in Studio/My Library/Data/Author/ Product/ figuretest/

Then here are two folders one called Morphs and other called UV Maps

Inside the folder Morphs: there are two folders one called Roca containing a folder called testmorph where inside there is a .dsf file

the other folder inside the Morphs folder is Author/ Base/ inside there are hundreds and hundreds of dsf files

How I can place my created morph to be used?

Roca

EDIT* Inside the folder called Figures (in my library) there is a duf file with the morph I created and a thumbnail, so I double clicked but it created a new figure with the morph injected.

Post edited by g_roca_o_eb87419d47 on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 2012

The biggest problem is that your making morphs for a Poser figure and trying to save them in DS, which is something most try to avoid.

If you plan on distributing the morph for others to use then it HAS to be in Poser format, and you only really have two choices on how to do that with DS.

1) Get your morph into V4, then go "File > Export" and create a new Poser .CR2, your morph will be written into the file, then you use a program like Injection Pose Builder or Injection magic to strip your morph out of the CR2, it will then write it out as an Injection PZ2, which is what you distribute.

2) You can do it all in DS if you wish, in DS4 Pro we have the EXP exporter, you can use it to either make an EXP based Injection PZ2, the morph channels work the same way as V4's ie you need to run the BAT file to create the channels, or you can use it to create a normal Injection PZ2 which will use one of the Legacy channels.

Post edited by Bejaymac on
  • edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    The biggest problem is that your making morphs for a Poser figure and trying to save them in DS, which is something most try to avoid.

If you plan on distributing the morph for others to use then it HAS to be in Poser format, and you only really have two choices on how to do that with DS.

1) Get your morph into V4, then go "File > Export" and create a new Poser .CR2, your morph will be written into the file, then you use a program like Injection Pose Builder or Injection magic to strip your morph out of the CR2, it will then write it out as an Injection PZ2, which is what you distribute.

2) You can do it all in DS if you wish, in DS4 Pro we have the EXP exporter, you can use it to either make an EXP based Injection PZ2, the morph channels work the same way as V4's ie you need to run the BAT file to create the channels, or you can use it to create a normal Injection PZ2 which will use one of the Legacy channels.

Thanks Bejaymac,

I went to the part 2, but I can't use the EXP export function, it gives me an error message that says: "Please load at least one legacy figure in the scene"
    I have V4 in the scene (selected) with the morphs added from Zbrush.

Also there is a tutorial on Youtube about using EXP exporter but can't use because of this error.

Hope someone can help!
    Roca.

edited December 1969

Only things I can think of are either the EXP exporter is bugged in your build of DS, or your not loading V4 from her Poser CR2.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

thanks much bejaymac,, II have not konown about Exp exporter (though it can access from scene option) :red:

I asked same qusiton before,,how to save V4 or M4 morph in ds 4.5 and make inj files as same as product morphs (eg Aiko4,, etc).
    but have not heared about Exp exporter untill now,, ^^;

I am so sorry Roca 46 , so you may need not save as obj I think.
    it may better to save as Injection PZ2 (if it can work without problem,,)

on the other hand, it is not difficutl to save as obj,,
    after you have used Goz bridge for Zbrush then improted V4 morph in ds.

you can just export the V4 figure with applied your morph shape (auto imported from Zbrush) .
    select V4 with shape, in scene tab, then export it as obj from ds top menu,
    exprot.

the obj file can be morph target which you can load anytime you want by morph loader.

on this case you need not change scale, (because you exported the shape from ds as obj , and improt it to ds,, ,)
    just set 100 % scale and save the current shape as obj.

• edited December 1969

Thanks Bejaymac, yep I did another test and EXP exporter worked with the default V4. Still have to do a quick test with the morphs today and see how it goes.

Yes kitakoredaz, I'm using the obj option and seems to work well between DAZ and Zbrush. If I'm able to inject a morph to other V4 figure I will explain the process here.

Thanks all!

• edited December 1969

Yay!!! Finally I was able to create an INJ/REM morph!

The definitive tutorial that helped me a lot with EXP Exporter is this one http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/exp/tutorials

Highly recommend the read.

Basically what I did was:

1- Load the default V4.2 and export it as obj

2- Load this obj file into Zbrush and modify the body, then export it as obj (new one)

3- In DAZ, load Morph Loader Pro and load the new obj file created with Zbrush to use as a morph.

4- Once the morph was added to the figure (slider at 0 according to the tutorial) I used the EXP Exporter as explained in the tutorial above.

And that's it!
    Thanks all!

Roca

• edited December 1969

Hello all,

I've been doing some tests and I have some problems.

When EXP export has exported the morph, it creates lots of folders with body parts and files (that contain the morphs) and also in the Pose folder, the INJ and REM files.
    That's ok, the problem is that when I put the files created in the same folder as !DAZ/Victoria 4, everytime I load V4 it has the parameter on the right for the morph that I created and I have seen that vendors only uses the INJ/REM files in the Pose folder, but mines don't work with only the INJ/REM, they need the deltas and all the parts of the body that uses the morph.

Hope somebody can clarify me this.

Roca.

• edited December 1969

Guys, I need your help. I'm just one step to finally create this.

The problem is that EXP plugin creates the files in separate folders and these files (the tutorial says) go to the !DAZ/Victoria 4 folder.
    Its ok but I don't want the morphs in the default V4 once is loaded (then I have to click the inj file of course)

So my question is, how can I create an INJ file in order to place the files in a different folder than Victoria 4 (so it won't load along with V4).

I have seen some INJ files and I can see that everything is about codes, I tried to put separately all the pz2 files inside a new folder in !DAZ folder and then create the INJ file linking the files from !DAZ/Project folder but nothing happens when I double click.

Is there any utility that can regroup the morph files into an INJ file?

Thanks in advance.
    Roca

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

If your thinking of upgrading to DAZ Studio 4.5.1.6 I would suggest waiting. The GoZ bridge, at least for me, is borked. ZBrush see DAZ Studio and confirms this but DAZ Studio can't connect for what ever reason.

• stitlownstitlown Posts: 276
    edited December 1969

Near enough to topic - and just shows how unfamiliar I am.

I have created a genesis morph in one scene file which shows up as a hexgonbridge morph slider and now I want to be able to "save" it and load it onto another genesis in the scene or to a genesis in a different scene. But after a few hours mucking around and searching forums I don't seem to have got anywhere other than creating a directory in "data" with a whole not of not immediately relevant .dsf files for various expression controllers

Any helpful hints anyone? Thanks Lx

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Roca46 said:

Guys, I need your help. I'm just one step to finally create this.

The problem is that EXP plugin creates the files in separate folders and these files (the tutorial says) go to the !DAZ/Victoria 4 folder.
    Its ok but I don't want the morphs in the default V4 once is loaded (then I have to click the inj file of course)

So my question is, how can I create an INJ file in order to place the files in a different folder than Victoria 4 (so it won't load along with V4).

I have seen some INJ files and I can see that everything is about codes, I tried to put separately all the pz2 files inside a new folder in !DAZ folder and then create the INJ file linking the files from !DAZ/Project folder but nothing happens when I double click.

Is there any utility that can regroup the morph files into an INJ file?

Thanks in advance.
    Roca

ExP is a bit of overkill for what you're doing. Try this:

http://www.daz3d.com/syrinj

load in the original V4 obj and your morphed obj and this program will create a pz2 morph injection file of the morph. It will strip out daz's stuff and leave only your morph. It's fairly simple to use too. You may have to edit the file to set the morph properly to 1 so it will automatically set the morph on when you load it.

I use this for regular morphs, ExP when I have a lot of morphs I want to use together and organize them.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

stitlown said:
    Near enough to topic - and just shows how unfamiliar I am.

I have created a genesis morph in one scene file which shows up as a hexgonbridge morph slider and now I want to be able to "save" it and load it onto another genesis in the scene or to a genesis in a different scene. But after a few hours mucking around and searching forums I don't seem to have got anywhere other than creating a directory in "data" with a whole not of not immediately relevant .dsf files for various expression controllers

Any helpful hints anyone? Thanks Lx

File>Save as>Support Asset>Morph Asset, make sure you have your morph selected.

Load the character you want to use the morph on, make sure it's selected, and go to File>Save as>Character Preset

With the character you want to add the morph to selected, apply the character preset you just saved (choosing to apply it to the current figure if asked). That should refresh the morph list, adding your morph and any others you've installed since the character was created.

edited December 1969

As always, thanks Richard. Thought I'd tried this on the save side so must have mucked it somehow. Will try again. Cheers, Lx

edited December 1969

Ok Got all those morphs working on tri-ax figures.

Now I've created a morph to make the Milllenium Dragon's teeth razor thin, but when I try file>save as>support asset>morph asset I get the message "you must save Figure/Node assets before you can save morph assets:. I'm not even sure what that means.

I can save as a shaping pre-set but then this does not appear to do anything with the morph when loaded onto a fresh dragon - it only gives the poses.

I presume it has something to do with the fact that Mill Dragon is a .cr2 so I followed the tutorial on creating INJ REM files and it appears to have done what it should.

If I navigate to and import the INJ file it appears to run and the log says:
    Importing File...
    Importing INJ Millenium Dragon Razor Teeth.pz2 ...
    Time to load file: 21.7188 ms
    Imported: INJ Millenium Dragon Razor Teeth.pz2
    Building Scene...
    File loaded in 0 min 0.2 sec.
    Loaded file: INJ Millenium Dragon Razor Teeth.pz2

But I can see nothing that suggests any change or anywhere to dial in the teeth. Any clues what I'm doing wrong??

Thanks

Lx

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

Did you create a new channel for the teeth, or are you using an existing channel? DS won't throw an error if it reads an injection pose that points to a non-existent channel, but nor will it create the channel.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited June 2014

Reviving something out of history which has become relevant:)

2) You can do it all in DS if you wish, in DS4 Pro we have the EXP exporter, you can use it to either make an EXP based Injection PZ2, the morph channels work the same way as V4’s ie you need to run the BAT file to create the channels, or you can use it to create a normal Injection PZ2 which will use one of the Legacy channels.

This is something we've discussing at great length in the Hexagon forum - with the help of Crissie at Daz, I've got to the point of creating all the files to make the INJ/REM, but no channels are created. How does one run the .bat files to create the channels?

BTW, I'm using a home-made original .cr2 figure for this.

Post edited by Roygee on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Reviving something out of history which has become relevant:)

2) You can do it all in DS if you wish, in DS4 Pro we have the EXP exporter, you can use it to either make an EXP based Injection PZ2, the morph channels work the same way as V4’s ie you need to run the BAT file to create the channels, or you can use it to create a normal Injection PZ2 which will use one of the Legacy channels.

This is something we've discussing at great length in the Hexagon forum - with the help of Crissie at Daz, I've got to the point of creating all the files to make the INJ/REM, but no channels are created. How does one run the .bat files to create the channels?

BTW, I'm using a home-made original .cr2 figure for this.

good question Roy, did you find the answer? ;)

edited December 1969

Hi Andy - unfortunately not. After much toing and froing, the person as Daz who was "helping" me admitted she knew nothing about the subject and was going to consult with a developer - never got back to me and I gave up.

Seems to me that the original figure has to be made with the ExP capability for this to work, but I won't swear to that.

Maybe you would have more luck if you put in a support ticket - maybe get someone who knows what's going on:)

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Seems to me that the original figure has to be made with the ExP capability for this to work, but I won't swear to that.
    It does, open V4.2's original CR2 (the 1.22 Mb one) in a text editor, in it you will find readscript lines where you would normally expect to find the groups, valueParm and targetGeom.

It's these that read and load the files from the EXP system, without them your figure will never see the new channels.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,996
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Basically, yes, but it shouldn't be that hard to make your figure compatible in theory (I never tried).

IIRC the main idea is that in the V4 cr2 there is a "readscript" line which will read a file containing the full list of channels to load for the EXP morphs.
    That "full list" file is what gets created by the .bat file: it lists the morph deltas files present in the subfolders of "Runtime:Libraries:!DAZ:V4" and creates the file with the list of channels which need to be in the cr2. Then when you load V4 it will automatically load all those channels.

So for your own figure you'd need to setup something similar: add a line in the cr2 which reads a "master list of channels" file, and create a .bat file to generate that list from the delta files.

edited December 1969

Thank you for confirming my suspicion :)

How this all arose is that in DS3XX, we were able to take a pre-Genesis Daz figure, morph it and, with a plugin, save the morph, which would open a morph channel in Carrara, without using ExP. I guess the plugin did that for us.

The problem is that in Carrara, the figures are "protected", which means that we only had morph access to channels that had already been created, which were very limiting.

What we used to do was to send the figure over the bridge to Hexagon, make a very small change and save the morph as a full body morph, which gave us morphing access to the whole figure in Carrara.

This has now been changed, as well as the ability to make our own .cr2 figures for use in Carrara. The irony is, if I make a home-made .cr2 figure, I can use it in DS and Poser, but not in Carrara :)

Small wonder many of us are migrating - just another of the many straws which break the camel's back :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

Hi Roy, lucky I bumped your question ;)
    Fenric has an unlock plugin that will let you unlock the morph channel thingies in Carrara, works pretty well, though he advises you lock the figure again asap because you don't know what might happen otherwise

treeduplicator is something I use all the time comes in this pack, highly recommend !

http://www.daz3d.com/posing-pack-3

quote:You've got a nifty new bit of conforming clothing, but there aren't any morph areas! Morphing a posed figure is great, but you need to be able to set the stuff up, right? The new Unlock Figure command opens up the power locked away behind those greyed out menu options. (And you can put things back to the way Carrara expects with the Restore Figure command)

edited December 1969

Thanks, Andy - that is brilliant :)

• HI TRY to convert v4 to weight mapperd  first  convert from M4 or V4, you need M4 or V4 in scene . There is a ... In Scene Tab, go to edit—rigging—convert figure to weight mapping.  save like a new character the you can edit an save changes  in zbrush.