import an obj file AND use a texture on it

TorkudaTorkuda Posts: 148
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I'm wanting the most basic of basic things here and Carrara is fighting me for it. I created a space ship in blender and exported it as an obj. However when I import the model into Carrara, Carrara does not allow me to put textures on it. Rather it allows me to put them on the model, they just never show up. In fact NO pattern will show up on my ship. What is going on?

Comments

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

Torkuda said:
    I'm wanting the most basic of basic things here and Carrara is fighting me for it. I created a space ship in blender and exported it as an obj. However when I import the model into Carrara, Carrara does not allow me to put textures on it. Rather it allows me to put them on the model, they just never show up. In fact NO pattern will show up on my ship. What is going on?

Could be a few things.

1. Normals are reversed
    2. Blender didn't export texture coordinates
    3. No UV map (happens if you make a modification even if UV'd)

• TorkudaTorkuda Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

Apparently blender needs to UV map first. Got it.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Torkuda said:

Could be a few things.

1. Normals are reversed
    2. Blender didn't export texture coordinates
    3. No UV map (happens if you make a modification even if UV'd)

Blender has the ability to do 'dynamic' UV maps (updates them as you go along, but it's a check box and not enabled by default...). Also, the textures/UV and such are check boxes on the OBJ export options.

In Edit mode, in Blender, hit the 'A' key twice...everything should turn orange...then Mesh > Normals >Recalculate Outside...then export. Also make sure you've actually assigned a material. You don't have to assign a texture, in Blender...just a material.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Blender has the ability to do 'dynamic' UV maps (updates them as you go along, but it's a check box and not enabled by default...).
    That has got to be one of my favs with using Blender