Having an effect problem ... maybe lighting?

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hmmm ... I'm stumped about an effect I can't get to work as I think it should. Maybe ya'll can help me :D

Below you can see what I see in DS3, and then what the spot render shows me. I want the effect o look more like what I see in Daz. I don't want it darkened out. Is this a setting issue or a lighting issue?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

What are your surface settings for the item? I suspect it's a specular issue.

• TatalorioTatalorio Posts: 33
    edited June 2012

looks more like a glow material to me

try the ambience value/color, if that's what you are looking for.

Post edited by Tatalorio on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited June 2012

I was attempting to make my shield resemble this aura plane (freebie): http://www.sharecg.com/v/21856/View/11/Poser/Aura-04

I downloaded and installed the aura prop, and loaded it into daz. It's a flat plane prop.

I then copied each of the settings from it and mimicked them for the barbarian king shield. What I didn't know is that the plane renders like this too. So I am assuming it's a poser/daz inconsistency thing. I just don't know how to fix it. :(

Since it's a free prop, it would be simpler for ya'll to open it yourselves to see what the settings are because I can't get it all in a screenshot.

I thank ya'll for any help :)

Post edited by WillowRaven on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

But it did look right in preview? Try setting the ambient colour to white and diffuse to a light but interesting colour.

edited December 1969

But it did look right in preview? Try setting the ambient colour to white and diffuse to a light but interesting colour.

As you can see from the above thumbnails, in the Daz application it looks cool, but in spot render, it goes all dark. I'll try your suggestion.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

I'd first think of the Ambience-value/color before anything else. Make sure the Diffuse-color are white or close to white if there's a jpg in the Diffuse-slot. So go with Richard's suggestions. You don't want reflection/refraction. About specularity, it's 'edge-light' and used on figures to give 'rim-lights' . Since you're rendering a flat plane, then it depends on the angle of the light, and if it bounces towards the camera. Make sure the spec is set to white as well (it should be set to white by default).

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
    edited June 2012

I'd first think of the Ambience-value/color before anything else. Make sure the Diffuse-color are white or close to white if there's a jpg in the Diffuse-slot. So go with Richard's suggestions. You don't want reflection/refraction. About specularity, it's 'edge-light' and used on figures to give 'rim-lights' . Since you're rendering a flat plane, then it depends on the angle of the light, and if it bounces towards the camera. Make sure the spec is set to white as well (it should be set to white by default).

Well, It's no longer a flat plane. I just mimicked the setting of the plane prop onto the shield, which isn't flat but bowed. So do I still remove the preset reflection color? And the diffuse was preset to black. Changing it to white made the original file, which was yellow electricity, show as yellow. But I am working on an idea to return it to purple, like the text calls for.

Post edited by WillowRaven on
    edited December 1969

Looking promising ...

Between both of ya'll, and a few experiments of my own, it is no longer rendering black or yellow.

Now to tweak. Thanks, guys.

effect_3.jpg
    154 x 213 - 26K