Possible to install v4 into Poser 6 on a 64 bit Win 8 machine?

marcizmarciz Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

I just got a new computer and wanted to install v4 into my Poser 6, (which is now successfully installed on
my Win8, 64 bit PC).

But when I double clicked the app file "ps_pe069_Victoria4", I only got a blank box, whereas,
testing it on my old XP 32 bit machine--to be sure I had the correct file--it opened the installer
box as it should have (of course I cancelled the install there).

Anyone else try this? Yeah, I know P6 is getting old, but I didn't like where they went with it
and its new interface in P7 (different company, if I recall).

Any help appreciated.

Marc

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Try right clicking on the installer and selecting Compatibility Mode...it's a Windows problem, not a Poser or DAZ...MS changed the way older programs behave...again

• marcizmarciz Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

Just tried this, and it opened the installer--as it should look--but when I got to "target application" (P6) I had an error saying
    "error reading INI file C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/DAZ/dzInstall.ini".

THe machine I had it on had XP (sp2) on it--I never updated to sp3 on the old machine. And now, Win8 has only XP (sp3) as
    option for the former system it did work on.

I also tried "Poser (all files)" as the target app.

M

Post edited by marciz on
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,771
    edited January 2013

You can't install Poser in Program Files and then install content in to the main Poser runtime under Windows 7 or higher unless you turn UAC off; not recommended. The error you get is because the installer is not permitted to write there.

Since Poser 6 doesn't support external runtimes, you need to reinstall Poser outside Program Files, such as C:/poser. Also, try creating a DAZ directory under common files, and if that doesn't fix it, run the installer as an Adminstrator ..

Post edited by WandW on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

What I did prior to Reinstalling stuff on this new PC was to save my Poser 6 runtime onto an external drive. I saved it into a folder called Poser 6 (old). This saved me the problem of working out how to reinstall V4 etc, given the restrictions that Win 7 and presumably Win 8 have about where stuff can be installed.

Then when I Reinstalled stuff I could add the Poser 6 old folder as an additional runtime. I have all my runtimes on an external drive.

In fact I actually installed all my programs to a separate drive, and not to the C drive. As I intended to do this I had my PC built with a second HD but they will actually run from an external as well I am led to understand.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    Since Poser 6 doesn't support external runtimes, you need to reinstall Poser outside Program Files, such as C:/poser. Also, try creating a DAZ directory under common files, and if that doesn't fix it, run the installer as an Adminstrator ..

Poser 6 does support external Runtimes, but not as well as Poser 7 (especially with SR3 applied) and later.

edited December 1969

Are you saying, Richard, that I shouldn't have installed P6 in the special (x86) section of program files (for all
    earlier 32 bit versions)? In other words, like, My Documents or whatever.

chohole, this sounds like a good idea, except I don't have an external HD. Wouldn't it be just as easy--or would it
    work?--to simply copy over the content from my old Poser6 installation--say, for v4--right into the appropriate
    directories in my Poser library? I mean, it's sort of like v4 is already 'unzipped' so to speak...

Shoot, I'm still not yet up on where everything is in Win8,and the whole new "look" of the thing is bugging me.

So, WandW, if I read your info right, simply make a file outside of Program Files (x86) and try to run the installer
    from there? That's what I'm doing. I do get an administrator box before the installer opens, asking
    if I want to allow it to modify this computer's HD... (I'm not in front of it now, I'm at work). :)

M

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

You should install P6m outside the Program Files (x86) folder, because although Poser 6 does support external Runtimes it doesn't work with Victoria 4 there (unless you hand edit a few files).

edited December 1969

I see Richard...and it's not too late for me to do that since I've only installed a few other things so far into P6.

So you're saying that v4 won't work at all while P6 is in the x86 section.
    Not even if I merely transfer over the files from the various P6 directories in my XP setup, for v4 (and
    not even bother with the original DAZ installer)?
    Not to be a pest, but no one's mentioned that yet.

M

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

If you never add new morph packs it should keep working, but if something gets corrupted it's a hassle to fix. Since it's a new machine you're better off keeping it outside of Program Files (x86).

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,771
    edited December 1969

You can probably just copy the Poser directory straight over and reinstall the latest Service release to that directory (which willupdate the file associations) and it will be good; that works for Poser 7...

edited December 1969

Thanks folks;

I guess I'll just have to uninstall P6 and do the 'install elsewhere' bit...

Now if I can find the way to uninstall it... :)

Marc

• Consumer573Consumer573 Posts: 282
    edited January 2013

marciz said:

chohole, this sounds like a good idea, except I don't have an external HD. Wouldn't it be just as easy--or would it
    work?--to simply copy over the content from my old Poser6 installation--say, for v4--right into the appropriate
    directories in my Poser library? I mean, it's sort of like v4 is already 'unzipped' so to speak...

M

I think I'm going to start a new thread because I'd like to try and build a new computer for graphics (Specifically Poser and Carrara) and need to take a poll as to what critical components would most minimize my render times. (Number of cores? MFR AMD or Intel? Do I need a GPU? Amount of memory? etc).

But while I'm in the area I just thought I'd mention something about external HDs.

External Hard USB drive docking stations are becoming really common and really cheap. You don't even need an enclosure that you have to screw the thing into anymore. They basically make any Hard Drive (even one from your old computer) act like a common 4 GB flash drive only a whole heck of a lot faster. I've seen them run easily usb 2.0 on older win xp systems up to 500 GB and seem virtually the same as the disks installed inside the case. They may run terabyte and beyond on the older systems, but I can't say I've seen it personally.

The cost is anywhere from about $23 for single slot Docking Stations to $60 for dual slot. And you can get sata, pata or laptop size slots, but if you want PATA for your older disks you'd better hurry; they're getting hard to find now.

Here are a couple of links:

Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/13812564?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0;=&wl1=g&wl2;=&wl3=21486607510&wl4;=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Sata-HDD-Docking-Station/dp/B0012Z3MKW

USB Docking stations for Hard Drives. One example manufacturer is “Thermaltake” which is the quick google search I did above. They work. You can find them at New Egg, Amazon and even Walmart. They make one and two port stands that just plug in to your usb 2.0 and up port. Again, You can treat a 500GB HD the same way as a 5GB flash drive, only it’s a lot faster.

And if your DAZ installers don’t work on Windows 7 or 8, you can potentially unzip things on an older computer and then either transfer the file structure or re-zip them using a non-installer program such as winzip, moving the disk from one computer to another like an SD card or flash drive.

Post edited by Consumer573 on