group vanishing

laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello!... I have a group of nearly 150 objects... "stones "in a landscape, in fact... animating the scene, I want that the stones desappear progressively... If just one, I can use the alpha channel, of course... Is it a way to apply that to the whole group???
thank you!!!!

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

celmar said:
    Hello!... I have a group of nearly 150 objects... "stones "in a landscape, in fact... animating the scene, I want that the stones desappear progressively... If just one, I can use the alpha channel, of course... Is it a way to apply that to the whole group???
    thank you!!!!

Do they all share the same shader?

• laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

no, but effectively there is only two shaders, for all the objects!...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
    edited December 1969

a global shader maybe with a mixer function based on position for opacity I have done it with a noise mixer and colour, not tried opacity, no idea actually, just ranting really while I render. :red:
    or
    an awful lot of shaders!

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited January 2013

I'm not sure what you're looking to do. Make each stone disappear separately and progressively from one stone to the next, or make the whole group disappear over time as a whole?

If you're trying to make them disappear one at a time, though, they might each need their own shader and keyframes (unless there's some arcane way of using universal space instead of local and applying a gradient? not sure how that would work, though). Maybe I'm missing something simple, which wouldn't be the first time.

Post edited by CarltonMartin on
  • RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited January 2013

Hi,

If you want a gradual fade over distance, you can use the altitude terrain shader in the alpha channel. It can be set to work in the X, Y or Z axis (which is a little odd because the name implies it only works in the Z axis), over Global or Local space and can be animated for the height value. Fiddle with the blend value in the shader and the tweeners in the timeline to get a nice transition.

You could use it from as a reference shader in the alpha channel if you need each stone to have a unique colour shader.

I was hoping to be able to get 'procedural lock' to work with it so that any angle could be used but, unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be possible.

That shouldn't be a huge problem if you're ok with the effect working along a primary axis.

If you're just wanting sudden dissapearances of selected stones, then I'd suggest creating multiple groups and switching the visibility off on the groups as needed.

Post edited by RoguePilot on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited December 1969

If you're just wanting sudden dissapearances of selected stones, then I'd suggest creating multiple groups and switching the visibility off on the groups as needed.
    Right, or separate shaders for each stone would give flexibility as well.
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Or, if you want a gradual fading of the rocks, you could make a few groups, and each group would have it's own master shader. If the rocks in each group are scattered about it could give you the look you want with only five or six master shaders.