3D Item Database - Keep track of all your stuff!

SnowDogSnowDog Posts: 44
edited May 2012 in Freebies

I made this database for my personal use, but I thought I'd clean it up and share it with the community, because it has been so useful.
It is a 2007 access database that allows you to track every 3d item you download as well as tag it by price, payment point, creator,
item type, supported figures, and general tags.

DON'T Worry if you don't own ACCESS! You can download Access 2010 Runtime for free straight
from microsoft at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10910 (I also included this information in the readme).

The database also allows you to keep track of which items you have used in your different artwork.

I have 2 dynamic searches that allow you to search by any tagged field (creator, Payment Type, supported figure, item type, tag, etc) and a search that shows you all your items, newest to oldest.

I included 5 example items and 1 example picture to show you how I use the database.

I uploaded the zipped database at Sharecg software section - http://www.sharecg.com/v/62260/view/10/Software-and-Tools/3D-Item-Database

Post edited by SnowDog on

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Very nice! I don't have the patience right now to fill in all of my purchases, but when I do, I know it's available. Thanks for making it available to the public. :)

• SnowDogSnowDog Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Very nice! I don't have the patience right now to fill in all of my purchases, but when I do, I know it's available. Thanks for making it available to the public. :)

Yeah, if you put your purchases in as you make them, its easy. However, it is really time consuming to add a whole bunch at once. I still have a bunch of my early purchases that I haven' tput in. What I've been doing, is as I use items and link them to my pictures, when I run into something that is missing I will add it as I go. This is one technique that would allow you to spread out the time - just add items as you use them.

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820
    edited December 1969

This looks very promising. It would be nice to have a clean data base to track everything ... just perfect for OCD folks like me.
    Now, any ideas on how to automate this? ;-) ... I know, wishful thinking.
    I have quite a few GB's worth of files which I can imagine would take quite a few weekends inputting. :lol:
    Speaking of which, is there a limit to the size of the database?

edited December 1969

This looks very promising. It would be nice to have a clean data base to track everything ... just perfect for OCD folks like me.
    Now, any ideas on how to automate this? ;-) ... I know, wishful thinking.
    I have quite a few GB's worth of files which I can imagine would take quite a few weekends inputting. :lol:
    Speaking of which, is there a limit to the size of the database?

I have not run into a limit with Access 2007/2010. One of my 2003 databases ran into a limit.... when I had close to 10 million lines it in. I converted it to 2007 and was able to keep adding more.

So if you DO run into a limit on the size, please let me know. I will be very impressed.

If you have excel files with your information AND a copy of the full version of Access 2007 or 2010 there is a way to automate the input of the data. That is what I did with my files when I finished building the database. I can help you with instruction if you need it as well.

• edited December 1969

My issue is the massive quantity of content that I've got. I started working with Poser back in '06 and Daz Studio back when version 3 first came out. At the time, I was working for a company that was paying me to produce graphics for them for a bit of advertising and a lot of internal use. Long story short was I had an unlimited budget. To the tune of nearly 130 gigs worth or content. 80% of it coming from Daz and a large chunk coming from RDNA and Renderosity. What I really need is a database of all current and discontinued daz content possibly in csv form with all included files for each product and crc's for each file. That way I can use a file checker to compare what I have against what has been offered, change file names if needed (I've mistakenly renamed a lot of my stuff along the way) and then give me a results page telling me what files have errors or are corrupt so I know what I have to re-purchase/re-download. I did, however d/l your great database and will start using it as I install content into my D|S runtime (I'm way behind there too since my current runtime is at 8.79 gig and I've only been back in the game for 3 months).

edited December 1969

My issue is the massive quantity of content that I've got. I started working with Poser back in '06 and Daz Studio back when version 3 first came out. At the time, I was working for a company that was paying me to produce graphics for them for a bit of advertising and a lot of internal use. Long story short was I had an unlimited budget. To the tune of nearly 130 gigs worth or content. 80% of it coming from Daz and a large chunk coming from RDNA and Renderosity. What I really need is a database of all current and discontinued daz content possibly in csv form with all included files for each product and crc's for each file. That way I can use a file checker to compare what I have against what has been offered, change file names if needed (I've mistakenly renamed a lot of my stuff along the way) and then give me a results page telling me what files have errors or are corrupt so I know what I have to re-purchase/re-download. I did, however d/l your great database and will start using it as I install content into my D|S runtime (I'm way behind there too since my current runtime is at 8.79 gig and I've only been back in the game for 3 months).

One thing you can do, on DAZ, and I think the other sites, is view your purchase "history" by item, and copy and paste that list into Excel. This then could be uploaded into the database. I didn't provide a specific way to do uploads, but it is something I will look at adding. In the meantime, you could have me or a friend with Access 2007/2010 do it for you (really wouldn't be that hard to do yourself either).

• gingercakes47gingercakes47 Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much for the data base. Now just have to enter the data some of which is in a spreadsheet, so just gotta figure out how to upload the information.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Have you seen 3d Librarian? Its free.
    http://www.3dlibrarian.net/

up until daz zonked their site with this(Words not appropriate here) 'upgrade' I could use the Orca Tools scripts to grab my purchase history, fill in the database with images.

I hope once the site settles he will be able to have his scripts work again, I would pay for an update to them even. I just wish I would have bought the bundle script and used it before the site change.

The software works good though.

• kristibentonkristibenton Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

There's a software program called Webgrabber that you can use to map your content into Access. I use it on my emails and also on the Readme files to capture what content is contained in each file.