Duplicate IDs on load???

WakakanadaWakakanada Posts: 207
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I have noticed recently [perhaps since installing DS4.5] that whenever I load a scene I get a pop up window warning that "Duplicate IDs were found". Can anyone shed a light on what this means. It says I should check the log file, which to me, with my limited [but usually functional] computer knowledge, is about as helpful as looking in my bowl of porridge.:roll: unless I know what it is I am looking for and what it would mean if I found it.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Much content has been updated, but I do have a script that repairs almost all items - it's in the index of free scripts linked from my signature.

• WakakanadaWakakanada Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Much content has been updated, but I do have a script that repairs almost all items - it's in the index of free scripts linked from my signature.

Thanks Richard. I've downloaded the script.
    Now I'm diving into my old DAZ 2.0 manual to try and figure would where to put the downloaded file and what to do with it. I'll let post back here to let you know how I do :-)

edited December 1969

You can put it anywhere and use File>Merge to load it, or you can put it in something like \DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Scripts (or wherever your content is installed to, in the scripts folder), find that folder in the Content Library (under DAZ Studio Formats), right click on the script (it won't have a proper thumbnail) and from the menu select make custom action - that will add it to your Scripts menu. The idea being that you should be able to run the script while looking at the content that needs it.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

Now using DS4.5 Pro I am getting these duplicate id messages (quite a lot). Apart from the irritation factor what underlying problem could they cause?

• edited December 1969

I'm sorry but i seem to be missing something here.
    If I save any of the part finished scenes I did in older Daz and reopen them I get this error. If I then go to File>merge > the fix script>open to "library files to fix', the scene (and dynamics within it) are listed but are not highlighted and so cannot be applied. I am on a Mac and do not has a 'right click' mouse.

• edited December 1969

I'd be interested in the solution as well - as I am also getting these errors as well.

edited December 1969

The script was written to fix original content files - I'm really not sure what it will do to saved scenes, if you run it on multiple different files referencing the same data files it may correct the corrections and introduce new issues. I might be able to modify it to fix user-file references (the saved scenes) pointing to fixed data files, if they were in .duf format, but I'm not sure how manageable that would be, and I don't think it would be possible to do something like it with .daz scene files as they can't be read by a script and don't have a known format..

• reelyorreelyor Posts: 235
    edited December 1969

I have Genesis Bikini, that I had the duplicate ID error, and after reading posts, I reset the download and see that it is version 1.2, which is supposed to be the updated version.
    I installed it, and when I click on the items to load it in, I get the Duplicate ID error. Clicking OK leaves the item frame in the window, with nothing there.
    I ran the script file that Richard uploaded, and ran it on the file (a .dsf). It cranks along and then finihes, and I notice I have the backup file also in the directory. When I open the item to bring it into the scene, I get no Duplicate ID error - just the blank Item frame. Any thoughts?

As a note, this is a fresh install of 4.5 release. I also reset the Open Toe Pumps content file, and although I get no Duplicate error, I only get the empty item frame.

What is really bothering me is if this is a problem with 4.5 itself or its install, or the content file. After I installed it, I did try other files and many gave the ID error. I reset downloads and the new installs worked fine. If there is a problem with the install or program, I'd rather not install a ton of content and then find it out. Is anyone else having a similar problem with reset downloads and/or the Fix ID script?
    Any other thoughts?

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited August 2012

I'm in a similar boat.
    I waited until 4.5 was actually released to avoid this exact situation.
    Lost a 2 days "work" to this mess and I doubt I'll be able to save the scene.

But after applying the script to Fuji hair for Genesis... it seems to be working, saving and loading.

Not a fun couple of days that's for sure.

error.jpg
    564 x 716 - 383K
    Post edited by Ippotamus on
    edited December 1969

reelyor said:
    I have Genesis Bikini, that I had the duplicate ID error, and after reading posts, I reset the download and see that it is version 1.2, which is supposed to be the updated version.
    I installed it, and when I click on the items to load it in, I get the Duplicate ID error. Clicking OK leaves the item frame in the window, with nothing there.
    I ran the script file that Richard uploaded, and ran it on the file (a .dsf). It cranks along and then finihes, and I notice I have the backup file also in the directory. When I open the item to bring it into the scene, I get no Duplicate ID error - just the blank Item frame. Any thoughts?

As a note, this is a fresh install of 4.5 release. I also reset the Open Toe Pumps content file, and although I get no Duplicate error, I only get the empty item frame.

What is really bothering me is if this is a problem with 4.5 itself or its install, or the content file. After I installed it, I did try other files and many gave the ID error. I reset downloads and the new installs worked fine. If there is a problem with the install or program, I'd rather not install a ton of content and then find it out. Is anyone else having a similar problem with reset downloads and/or the Fix ID script?
    Any other thoughts?

The script did fix the old bikini for me, and the updated download was working I think. One thing to double check is that you don't have two copies of

\Data\Umblefugly\GenesisBikini\BikiniTop\BikiniTop

(or the matching Bikini Bottom file) in your content directories as I can imagine that causing an issue.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

Yes, but what actual issue does/can having the duplicate id cause? So far, for me, it has just been the irritant of a dialog box telling me there's a duplicate id. Items have loaded and worked without apparent issue.

• edited September 2012

I am having the same issue except mine is with the genesis character itself is this the message you are getting. I've uninstalled 4.5 and went back to 4.0 and I do not get that message anymore. something is seriosly wrong with this program I don't think they tested it before releasing it.

SP32-20120923-033845.jpg
    664 x 306 - 21K
    Post edited by heritage126_cd1f3d64f0 on
    edited December 1969

This isn't a general issue, so I suspect it's down to one of the following:

old content did not uninstall correctly, leaving both old and new versions of some file - did you load the .duf or .dsf version of Genesis?

multiple copies of the Genesis data foldrs in different, mapped, content directories

default scene contains content that hasn't bee, but needs to be, updated.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited December 1969

shadowl said:
    I am having the same issue except mine is with the genesis character itself is this the message you are getting. I've uninstalled 4.5 and went back to 4.0 and I do not get that message anymore. something is seriosly wrong with this program I don't think they tested it before releasing it.

A question: do you have GenX? Because every morph file created by GenX loads with Genesis every single time, if one of those files has an issue, then Genesis itself has the issue. (This only applies if you used GenX to create shaping morphs in the Shaping tab, not for any presets, which don't load with Genesis but have to be invoked.)

If you click OK on that message, Studio will load Genesis. At that point, you can look at the troubleshooting log file to see which file produces the message. You can either scroll to the end and go backward until you see the duplicate IDs message, or try search and replace; I find scrolling to the end easier because the log file can be fairly large.

Files produced by the recent update to GenX don't have that problem, and not all of the files produced by the old version have that problem. In my case, I removed the offending file, redid the morph and everything was fine.

If you don't have GenX or haven't used it in this way, then hopefully someone else can help you with the issue.

• edited December 1969

I have gen x and pretty much everything else for genesis and yes I have the updated gen x for daz 4.5. I also uninstalled the older version when it asked me to when installing 4.5. Why is it when daz realeses a new version they forget about people having worked with older content and why don't they put a transfer program in or an updater of some kind to avoid these problems. Like an updater that updates the old genesis to the duf format that will eliminate the problem.

edited December 1969

Morphs in general don't seem to be an issue - I have lots of the DAZ morph sets, and they were last updated to fix the Duplicate Formulas error a long way back. I haven't downloaded the latest updates yet as, to the best of my knowledge, they affect only the Shaping pane - which I don't use. So the older morph files aren't, of themselves, throwing errors though it's possible that some quirk of the GenX generated morphs does.

• Harry_2964Harry_2964 Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

I want to report that Pumps For V5 (13485) produce a duplicate ID error on loading with DAZ 4.5. I use the version 1.1.

I hope there will be an update soon.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Noobisher said:
    I want to report that Pumps For V5 (13485) produce a duplicate ID error on loading with DAZ 4.5. I use the version 1.1.

I hope there will be an update soon.

Can you please post to the bug tracker (bugs.daz3d.com -- if you've never used it before you'll need to register, it doesn't link to your DAZ 3D account) -- in the upper right switch the Project to "Content Products".

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited December 1969

I keep getting the error as well, on very random occations. I've noticed it with M5 and some M4 clothes. Seems to be a boys' kind of thing :-D And it doesn't seem to affect anything than slowing down the loading of a work or an item.

What is this script everyone is talking about?

• Harry_2964Harry_2964 Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

The Pumps for V5 have been updated to V1.2. Thx for fixing.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    I keep getting the error as well, on very random occations. I've noticed it with M5 and some M4 clothes. Seems to be a boys' kind of thing :-D And it doesn't seem to affect anything than slowing down the loading of a work or an item.

What is this script everyone is talking about?

If you find one of Richard Haseltine's posts there's a link to his scripts in his sig. It's a DS script that you can run on an item that's giving duplicate ID errors --it won't work on some items but works on most.