A Gas Station

texjonestexjones Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Does anyone know where I can get a Gas Station scene? I have tried to make a gas pump in Hexagon, and needless to say I get #@#@!! I'm getting better at Hexagon, but still there's just certain things that are better in Blender. Anyways, one of the final things I need to fill up my downtown scene, I need a gas or service station. I looked through the store and nothing there. In Bryce, there is an old time gas pump, but I can't get it to go into Daz. It keeps crashing, or if I just try to save it as a Collada it crashes, if I save it as an obj, nothing there. Daz is so bad about Obj files. I want a gas station. HOW do I get that pump in Bryce into Daz? I really like that old look. Somebody did a great job on it.

Comments

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited January 2013

export the gas pump as *.obj in bryce

open it in Hexagon and use that to send it to DAZ see if that works better

my bryce did not come with an old time gas pump... wonder if I missed a content file somewhere

Post edited by Rareth on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Bryce can export OBJ files now?

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Bryce can export OBJ files now?

yeppers, you just need to make sure any booleans have been converted to a mesh first.

• texjonestexjones Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think this really nice. Someone did a great job on it. I want it in Daz. It shows to well over 38K polygons, maybe that's the problem, probably in the hose mostly. Some things Bryce can export well into Daz. Like the trees, I've gotten a few of them to go over, but this gas pump is a booger. I was nosing around Bryce and found a few items. THere is gas station parts, but no building which I will create if I can get this into Daz. I am trying to export as an obj again.

MT_Gas_Pump.jpg
    1114 x 835 - 34K
  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

38K polys isn't bad for DS. It's pretty high for a simple gas pump but I've had 1.8M polys in DS before. :) It's really a matter of what your system can handle. DS *does* get quite picky when it's nearing the limits of accessible, physical RAM (it does not like SWAP at *all*). Setup a ReadyBoost stick if you're going to be approaching your RAM limit in DS so that the O/S can shuffle itself off to ReadyBoost instead of forcing DS to physical disk swap. ;)

edited December 1969

I was already wondering, could the Daz program be installed onto an external Hard Drive? If so I was thinking to go buy another on nad make it exclusive to Daz, as I will fill it up quickly. There's still alot of terminology I don't know. I see what the ReadyBoost stick is. But what is SWAP? Dang so much trouble just to make some animation. I mean to have that pump is not a big of a deal, it's just so nice. I guess I could 'fake it' as I've been all along. Thank you for the primitives....Now the Bryce won't export the pump at all. It freezes up.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

if you're working on a windows machine, not sure about a Mac, but you could put your DAZ Studio content onto an external, and it wouldn't be a problem so long as it's connected when DS is running.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

The external would need to be connected anytime the CMS is running, not just DAZ Studio. Otherwise, yes, it will run fine on an external.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    The external would need to be connected anytime the CMS is running, not just DAZ Studio. Otherwise, yes, it will run fine on an external.

You could also put the CMS on the external and then set it up as an autorun program, so when you connected the external, CMS would start...but now we're talking complicated.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

ShareCG.com has a few different Gas station models available as freebies. Some are Non-commercial use only, while others can be used for commercial renders.

edited December 1969

thanks about the ShareCG, I heard about that once before in a tutorial. All kinds of goodies in there.