DAZ Collada (DAE) import oddity

clive_27d11c9e1bclive_27d11c9e1b Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi I'm new to Carrara - but a long time Poser user

I'm possibly starting in an odd place, but I have some existing models in a non-standard format (includes meshes, morphs and bones), so I'm writting a translator to the DAZ collada format (as that seems most appropraite for models with morphs)

I'm starting by generating some simple geometries (basically modified cubes), and looking at the DAE files generated.

Here's my question. I added a simple morph to a cube, and saved the scene in DAZ collada format. When I reload it, the Morph Area list is empty, or at least It has a defined slot, but with no name. Clicking on the slot and the slider for the correctly named target appears.

Should this happen?

(to add to my confusion, if I save in standard Collada format, when I reload both the morph area and target have disappeared)

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

DAZ never really perfected the Collada format or DAZ Collada. With the invention of the .DUF format, I think hopes it .DAE ever working properly are low.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited January 2013

CliveP said:
    Hi I'm new to Carrara - but a long time Poser user

I'm possibly starting in an odd place, but I have some existing models in a non-standard format (includes meshes, morphs and bones), so I'm writting a translator to the DAZ collada format (as that seems most appropraite for models with morphs)

I'm starting by generating some simple geometries (basically modified cubes), and looking at the DAE files generated.

Here's my question. I added a simple morph to a cube, and saved the scene in DAZ collada format. When I reload it, the Morph Area list is empty, or at least It has a defined slot, but with no name. Clicking on the slot and the slider for the correctly named target appears.

Should this happen?

(to add to my confusion, if I save in standard Collada format, when I reload both the morph area and target have disappeared)

Thanks for any help

it used to work - then they fixed it - now it doesn't

edit to add -
    now with DUF - they said no more support for DAE last time I check

Post edited by bigh on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Which is a great pity - Optitex dynamic clothing used to work fine imported into Carrara with Daz Collada - not so with DUF:(

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,816
    edited December 1969

I can get Optitex clothing to work with .duf

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So you are running a cloth sim in D|S, then rendering it in Carrara?

That's impressive! I didn't know that ever worked....

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,816
    edited January 2013

So you are running a cloth sim in D|S, then rendering it in Carrara?

That's impressive! I didn't know that ever worked....
    Queen of Ages dress on V4 have done Genesis too, if not conformed you need to parent or the sim will not export, has to have morphs frozen to timeline.
    nightie parented to Genesis

Genesis V5 in dress rigged for her

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Yep, we've had this conversation before - some of us can, others not and there seems to be no valid reason why. Anyhow, it has been reported and acknowledged by Daz.

Anything that needs freezing to the timeline in Studio won't work with DUF for me - not Optitex or Animate - every other form of DUF works fine!