Installation of stuff not purchased in the DAZ3D store

Eric LagelEric Lagel Posts: 65
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have been looking in the freebies thread, and there are a lot of great items to allow me to train on several topics before I decide myself on the more expensive stuff.

Typically, the character models and free dynamic clothing from OptiTex.

BUT, despite the video explaining how to install content in DAZ3D without the installer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzlmi7xVWWA

I am still confused with content that does or doesn't appear where I would expect it.

For instance, I have downloaded a Free Dynamic Clothing from OptiTex. It's just a zip with a folder called runtime, and 3 subfolders that correspond to my Content Library. I have extracted them all as indicated in the video, but I can't find them anywhere when in Studio, whether I am looking into the Smart Content (I guess that without metadata, it will never appear there), or in the Content Library (where there is no runtime folder to be found anyway).

Would someone show me the way to a step-by-step tutorial on how to correctly install stuff that's not coming from the DAZ store?

Thanks!

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The default location for DS4 content is in the My Library folder in Documents in Windows.

You simply drag and drop the files into the My Library folder. If the Optitex zip file has a folder called content, it's contents should all be installed into the My Library folder. (My Library is the new name for the Content folder)

You will not see a folder called Runtime in the Content Library. You will have to go to the Content Library > Poser Formats > Figures area to see the clothing.

What OS are you using, and what is the name of the default folder you have for DS content?

• edited December 1969

Yes, dump poser stuff in the runtime folder. Daz studio directly in My library. An good idea is to look at the directories in the zip file.
    Poser files usually has an runtime folder, under it it has the folders Textures, Libraries and often Geometries. Put all of them in your runtime folder.

Daz Studio files has an Data folder and often other like Figures, People and Preset you find under My library.
    The main confusing part is some files mis the Runtime or My library root folder.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited January 2013

Normally the only folder inside Runtime from Opitex is "textures".

Unzip the download. Merge the "My Library" folder into your "My Library" folder.

In D/S you'll find the content in the Content Library > Daz Studio Formats > My Library > People [usually, they do have products for other figures as well] > Dynamic Clothing > Name of item.

edit: Sometimes one has to right-click somewhere in the space of the Content Library and "refresh" it to get items to show.

Post edited by patience55 on
  • Eric LagelEric Lagel Posts: 65
    edited December 1969

Thanks for these answers, I'll try to make it work!

edited December 1969

You're welcome.

However if it doesn't work, post a link to the freebie you're having problems with so I/we can take a look too.
    Some of the freebies and/or purchases had old installers which wanted to install stuff into the Program folders which is a no-no on W7 so we have to tell those installers exactly where to place the items. Installing those to a separate folder to check the contents and then manually move them to their proper place is how I handle them.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

Simplest and fastest way to install ANY ZIP file (As long as the File structure is set up correctly) is to just point your Unzip Utility to your Content Folder path and end the file path at your folder.

Example: Blah/Blah/Daz3D/Studio/My Library
    This Also works for all older Installers Just point the Installer to that Folder.

The part most users miss is that ONLY NEW DS content with Metadata will show in the Smart Content Tab. All other content without metadata will only be found in the Content Library Tab.

I Strongly suggest all users also UnZip to a Temp folder so the Readme File can be found and Read so you know what folders to look for the Content in.
    Example: Content Library>Poser Formats>My Library> Props

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the help. I think I got the trick. It is indeed ensuring that everything is unzipped in the exact same folder structure, and also looking for content in the content library, not in the smart content, where it won't show up.

But God, what a mess in that Content Library already, it seems like there is no standard, and all items, including the items bought in the store with installer, are spread out in various places, never the same it seems.

For instance, I just bought http://www.daz3d.com/david-3-for-genesis and I still have to find where he's been installed.

I have now solved the issue with the Dynamic Clothes and have been able to start using them. Just the item that I installed first seems not to be correctly configured, to trying other clothes from OptiTex seemed to work fine. I guess my next questions will be about how to make dynamic cloth work correctly because it doesn't seem to be faultless, far from it :).

edited December 1969

Oh yes, and relative to that topic, is there a way to select content in your content library and tag it so that it correctly appears in the smart content tab?

edited December 1969

Oh yes, and relative to that topic, is there a way to select content in your content library and tag it so that it correctly appears in the smart content tab?

Yes, one needs to make "metadata". For the instructions: one needs to go here.

edited December 1969

... edit ...
    For instance, I just bought http://www.daz3d.com/david-3-for-genesis and I still have to find where he's been installed.

I have now solved the issue with the Dynamic Clothes and have been able to start using them. Just the item that I installed first seems not to be correctly configured, to trying other clothes from OptiTex seemed to work fine. I guess my next questions will be about how to make dynamic cloth work correctly because it doesn't seem to be faultless, far from it :).

Yes there's something of a learning curve to get the Dynamic Clothing working ... keep in mind it's for animation and the draping action does take a few frames to get the job done. There are some tutorials over on Youtube for making some of the outfits work.

David 3, on sale too :-) Okay, downloaded, installed, he's found on the Shaping Tab, Editor section, under Actor and Head, male, real world.
    The 'heads' appear to be used "not with" the full body morph as the head, wow! no, don't do that ;-)

edited December 1969

Thanks for the link for metadata. I've been on a shopping spree thanks to the amazing promotions running on the store... but yet nothing is really where I expect it to be found.

I will try to spend some time trying to classify my library in the hope that I won't break anything :)