duf size insane, multiplied three times, no storage

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I just upgraded to DS 4.5 and one of the things I haven't seen mentioned is the file size of duf scenes. Perhaps I'm missing something, and I really hope I am, because a single V4 with clothes is taking three times the size of a daz scene, it went from 20 to 60 megs.

I have daz scenes with seven figures and they are around 100 megs. The new duf format suggests such a scene would take over 400 megs ¿? that's insane, we have a lot of storage nowadays but it doesn't mean we have to waste it obscenely. Also it doesn't load faster for me as I've read on some posts. Load times are the same for duf, and save times are twice as much, that's really really bad.

Is there a way to save scenes in the old format ?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,736
    edited December 1969

The problem is the use of legacy content - V4 and clothing - which has to be converted. If you scene contained Genesis and clothing, all saved as an asset already, then the file size would be much lower.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

What most don't realize is that the DAZ file is just the tip of the iceberg, there are a lot of DSO,DSD & DSV files written into the data folder that go with it. In DS4.5 the DUF format can't use these files like it can with the Poser formats & DSF asset files, so it has to write most of the data from those files directly into the DUF file, that is why they are huge, and that's the compressed version multiply it by 7 or 8 and you'll have an idea on the size of the uncompressed version.

With characters it's better to remake them in 4.5 from the Poser files and then save them as a scene subset, that way you get a DUF that's under 3 MB in size.

• edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    What most don't realize is that the DAZ file is just the tip of the iceberg, there are a lot of DSO,DSD & DSV files written into the data folder that go with it. In DS4.5 the DUF format can't use these files like it can with the Poser formats & DSF asset files, so it has to write most of the data from those files directly into the DUF file, that is why they are huge, and that's the compressed version multiply it by 7 or 8 and you'll have an idea on the size of the uncompressed version.

With characters it's better to remake them in 4.5 from the Poser files and then save them as a scene subset, that way you get a DUF that's under 3 MB in size.

Thank you for the explanation, I created a v4 from the cr2, injected morphs, and saved as scene subset. It is 3mb in size, but how should I use it now ? Do I load that 3 mb duf and proceed to change it and then save as a scene and it will stay small ? how can I take advantage of this subset ¿?

Thanks.

• edited December 1969

I loaded the subset, added morphs and clothes, and then saved as new scene, and the size stayed low. Thank you very much for the help.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:

Okay, this is important! It's something I wished I'd known a long time ago! Thanks!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Bejaymac said:

Okay, this is important! It's something I wished I'd known a long time ago! Thanks!

A few days ago, I started adding up all the items in a DS3 scene..yeah the scene file itself was pretty small, but once you add everything up, it gets very large. Especially when you look at the way the figures are 'saved'...getting a 3MB 'scene subset' is definitely the way to go.

What annoys me, is that they could have made that the default process for saving a 'Legacy Character Preset' and made it a lot simpler to understand.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    wancow said:
    Bejaymac said:

A few days ago, I started adding up all the items in a DS3 scene..yeah the scene file itself was pretty small, but once you add everything up, it gets very large. Especially when you look at the way the figures are 'saved'...getting a 3MB 'scene subset' is definitely the way to go.

What annoys me, is that they could have made that the default process for saving a 'Legacy Character Preset' and made it a lot simpler to understand.

There's no way to do this from a .daz scene, because the .daz format does not contain references back to the Poser version the way .duf does. When you start from Poser formats or .duf it can be saved properly, but it can't from just the info in the .daz.

edited January 2013

mjc1016 said:
    wancow said:
    Bejaymac said:

There's no way to do this from a .daz scene, because the .daz format does not contain references back to the Poser version the way .duf does. When you start from Poser formats or .duf it can be saved properly, but it can't from just the info in the .daz.

I don't recommend doing it this way...but, open DS3, load a saved scene. Then, once everything is loaded, zip up the Data folder. Then delete the folder and immediately recreate it. It's now 'blank'...nothing in it. Then save the scene...then add up everything that's now in the 'new' data folder...then when done, restore the zipped data folder or all your other saved scenes won't work right any longer...then add the size of the meshes and textures (which I just render to rib and add the rib file size and all the texture files..that's easier than tracking down each mesh and texture and adding them up). And after all that, there's probably something I'm missing, so the final 'size' is going to be a bit short...but probably fairly close.

Of course, you could also save a scene and then search the data folder by date and add up everything with the timestamp from the save instead of clearing the Data folder.

ETA: Probably should leave the texture files out of the calculation...as they aren't actually saved in the duf...but if you want to compare everything that makes up a scene, then...

Or....

Are you talking about saving as a scene subset as 'Legacy Character Preset' idea?

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    wancow said:
    Bejaymac said:

I don't recommend doing it this way...but, open DS3, load a saved scene. Then, once everything is loaded, zip up the Data folder. Then delete the folder and immediately recreate it. It's now 'blank'...nothing in it. Then save the scene...then add up everything that's now in the 'new' data folder...then when done, restore the zipped data folder or all your other saved scenes won't work right any longer...then add the size of the meshes and textures (which I just render to rib and add the rib file size and all the texture files..that's easier than tracking down each mesh and texture and adding them up). And after all that, there's probably something I'm missing, so the final 'size' is going to be a bit short...but probably fairly close.

Of course, you could also save a scene and then search the data folder by date and add up everything with the timestamp from the save instead of clearing the Data folder.

ETA: Probably should leave the texture files out of the calculation...as they aren't actually saved in the duf...but if you want to compare everything that makes up a scene, then...

Or....

Are you talking about saving as a scene subset as 'Legacy Character Preset' idea?

Sorry, my mistake -- I misread the bit about "Legacy Character Preset" as saying "why can't it do this by default when you resave a .daz as .duf".

edited December 1969

Sorry, my mistake -- I misread the bit about "Legacy Character Preset" as saying "why can't it do this by default when you resave a .daz as .duf".

That's why I asked...

I was somewhat surprised when I did zip up my DS3 data folder...it weighed in at 614 MB...zipped. I don't think it will fit on a CD unzipped (was thinking of backing it up tonight...I think I'd better use a DVD...it's 1.4 GB unzipped).

But the results, with my test scene, with everything included, came out with the DS3 scene having right around 100 MB data, all total. Which is pretty much 'in the ball park' as to what they are in DS4.x...it's just that the 'size' is more upfront.