OK, DAZ, seriously, what's going on?

Comments

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Excellent, Dartan. Its probably unlikely a better more flexible idea will be offered, though who knows. Still this is a good enough idea to start some movement on. Do we need to have a contest or anything for the content in the piece such as the ship models and the aliens or do you already have something in mind?

Either way I look forward to seeing what you've got in mind. A ship crashing displaying physics is an excellent idea.

This movie is gonna be incredible. So excited!

• 3dView3dView Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just reading through here a bit ....but I think we are seeing a divergence of camps already here....there seems to be a more community minded open ended almost contest like movie concept with no director(S). And then the more ambitious director based much more challenging and rigorous community movie more like a blender foundation movie like "sintel" . The former being much easier to accomplish and allowing more participation perhaps but without direction would have a eclectic look --the later being much more frustrating and difficult but with a more polished and uniform final product.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited December 1969

3dView said:
    Just reading through here a bit ....but I think we are seeing a divergence of camps already here....there seems to be a more community minded open ended almost contest like movie concept with no director(S). And then the more ambitious director based much more challenging and rigorous community movie more like a blender foundation movie like "sintel" . The former being much easier to accomplish and allowing more participation perhaps but without direction would have a eclectic look --the later being much more frustrating and difficult but with a more polished and uniform final product.

Why not do both?
    I've already jammed my plate full of 'polish' with my own ambitious movie, so you guys go ahead and form up and get that later idea moving - and I'll provide any and every bit of support I can, from scenes to animation to shaders. Stuff done from directly inside of Carrara, working with Daz content is my forte, and I'll be glad to submit what I can.

My movie series has really begun pushing forward, and my poor 8 core is truly helping me out! Man, everyone should build one of these. I built mine using my existing monitor, mouse and keyboard. All parts including the super-nice, filtered case, extra 120mm fans for both intake and exhaust, 16 GB Ram, AMD FX 8 core, 3.1 GHz/core, Military Spec Motherboard, 1.5 TB harddrive, DVD multi-drive and - get this - Windows 7 Home Premium (no need for Pro) and Sony Vegas Home Movie HD Suite - all for under $1000 from Newegg.com!!!
    Can't believe the difference!

edited December 1969

Excellent, Dartan. Its probably unlikely a better more flexible idea will be offered, though who knows. Still this is a good enough idea to start some movement on. Do we need to have a contest or anything for the content in the piece such as the ship models and the aliens or do you already have something in mind?

Either way I look forward to seeing what you've got in mind. A ship crashing displaying physics is an excellent idea.

Well, I'd like your main plan to come to fruition - and I hope it does. Just in case that all falls apart, it would be nice to have some submissions that you can put together and at the very least, have something cool to present.

Side Note, I had my wife in the clinic to meet a new doctor as her's retired from seeing patience entirely. During the whole thing, I checked out my old hard copy of the Bryce 5 manual I printed out and hard-bound years ago (I did this with the latest Carrara manual too, prior to purchasing), and began grazing through its detailed pages. What a different piece of software. And I mean this in a great way! Not sure if I'll get much of a chance to install and try it anytime soon, but there's plenty to read beforehand. I recall from taking it for a test drive a long time ago, back when you could get Bryce 5 from c|net for free, and I had a very hard time dealing with that working view. But that was then. Maybe someday after this Carrara movie is done, we could do something to showcase Bryce and even, perhaps, the entire Daz3d software collection. This whole idea of ambition makes me feel alive! That's why I'm always so 'up' and ambitious... because I like the way "alive" feels!!!

Cheers all.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Well, I'd like your main plan to come to fruition - and I hope it does. Just in case that all falls apart, it would be nice to have some submissions that you can put together and at the very least, have something cool to present.

Side Note, I had my wife in the clinic to meet a new doctor as her's retired from seeing patience entirely. During the whole thing, I checked out my old hard copy of the Bryce 5 manual I printed out and hard-bound years ago (I did this with the latest Carrara manual too, prior to purchasing), and began grazing through its detailed pages. What a different piece of software. And I mean this in a great way! Not sure if I'll get much of a chance to install and try it anytime soon, but there's plenty to read beforehand. I recall from taking it for a test drive a long time ago, back when you could get Bryce 5 from c|net for free, and I had a very hard time dealing with that working view. But that was then. Maybe someday after this Carrara movie is done, we could do something to showcase Bryce and even, perhaps, the entire Daz3d software collection. This whole idea of ambition makes me feel alive! That's why I'm always so 'up' and ambitious... because I like the way "alive" feels!!!

Cheers all.

we use to be able to do animation using V4 ( etc ) in Bryce - then they fix it - now you can't - bummer

edited December 1969

Dartanbeck...... Smiles ----well being realistic I think it would take a huge effort to do two things. I myself lean more for the ambitious and more difficult for in the end it would do more to showcase the possibilities of using Carrara to more folks. Now - is there going to be enough interest, talent , time and effort over the long long haul to achieve this? Good question.

It takes so much effort to create on a high level. And frankly , I do not think many folks have tried to force themselves to obtain it. I don't . That said I think many folks need a project , a direction , a focus even a kick in the pants to get to the next level.

As I envision this movie project ---- single shots , just a few second of time ---will all have to be detailed , polished and look well- professional. No easy trick!!

This is why I think a director is needed to frankly ---keep rejecting things, pushing the community to do better, ensuring the end result is consistent and meets a certain level of goodness. And that's a nasty business as folks will get pissed off or frustrated.

Yet- there is also a positive side to all this---hopefully it might push everyone to get better. learn more. read the manuals. watch tutorials , learn from each other , ask for help , and most importantly --------work more and better because you need to, because you are working towards a goal worthy of the effort.

And really its a huge march up the side of a mountain here. No doubt. No sugar coating . Its going to be difficult. How many are willing and able to try? How many can survive the drudgery and frustration of doing something over and over till its good? How many willing to be together for a long time on one project? How many will stay the course? -----I don't know and maybe no one will till we try.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

And this director will be...?

edited December 1969

Holly--

I would imagine not one person as that would be very taxing and not so prudent given real life time constraints that might engulf one person . I would suggest one lead director ---with maybe two assistants.

This is a very large undertaking and I do not think it can be done without a lot of imaginative and co-operative efforts by many. Not many jobs could possible be done by one person ---given time constraints and even talent and experience. So it will have to be a little flexible and not so rigid as one might find in a professional studio undertaking.

So --the more important thing -----what I am suggesting -----is that there be a gatekeeper(S) to preserve the quality and continuity of the movie project. However that best be obtained.

I think a lot of the who's or what's are certainly very fluid right now as it should be given how short this idea has been out.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 514
    edited January 2013

Hello,

I see mentioned a (community made) movie made in Carrara. Interesting idea, however, when it is stated "made in Carrara", does that mean all content used should be made in Carrara?
    I ask because of such as:-

Everyone who owns C8 already has M4 and V4 plus a lot of content.
    I think everyone will know(or should) that Victoria 4 etc was not made in Carrara but in Modo.

So what is being put forward?
    Do those who make content (buildings/spaceships or whatever) for this project have to build that content in Carrara? But any content used from DAZ was made in whatever application DAZ preferred to use ??

Post edited by stem_athome on
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited January 2013

My only input would be that if a "unified look" is desired, that somebody produce a handful of light rigs to distribute to all participants. Yes, they'd have to be tweaked by most artists, but as we all know - lighting is about 90% of 3D Art.

I can help a bit with Cows. Especially Cows In Space!

Here's a few shots of a Cow in a Spaceship I made in a Fractal Generator (I know the lighting needs work - this was just for funzies, not attempting any sort of realism or believability) (I can't stand realism anyhow and refuse to bother with it!) :

Doc4.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 723K
    Doc3.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 856K
    Doc2.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 760K
    Doc1.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 768K
    Post edited by Sockratease on
    edited December 1969

Steve-

Most everything is up for discussion at this point. The whole issue of content and original carrara content certainly one of them. It would be almost impossible given the resources to consider an all carrara created asset based movie unless some amazing folks step in who can model and rig characters on level of daz's characters.

That said --I think using daz's characters and animating them would still be impressive enough and in the whole what you can do with Carrara theme as well. I think having in addition a lot of items modeled in carrara would be very cool and something to shoot for in my opinion.

It does get a little cloudy though when someone uses another program to make a asset in daz store and is used as a daz content added movie prop for instance . So your query is certainly worth more discussion.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

My only input would be that if a "unified look" is desired, that somebody produce a handful of light rigs to distribute to all participants. Yes, they'd have to be tweaked by most artists, but as we all know - lighting is about 90% of 3D Art.

I can help a bit with Cows. Especially Cows In Space!

Actually a Cows in Space parody of Pigs in Space would be pretty cool! :) You could always tie in the Chick-Fil-A thing, against their arch-enemies...the chickens.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

I don't want to be a party pooper, but since there's already a couple of threads on the movie efforts, let me kinda steer the discussion back to Kodiak's original purpose for the thread...

Does anyone have any contact with any DAZ folks who might be able to enlighten us on Kodiak's original questions about plans for Carrara? Maybe someone knows somebody who's running the show who might give some insight.

It's been a while since he asked the question and nobody from DAZ has responded. Though it is holiday season still, I suppose....

Maybe one of the Administrators or whatever can help out??

edited December 1969

I think everyone will know(or should) that Victoria 4 etc was not made in Carrara but in Modo.
    I doubt (and truly hope) that nobody means that every asset must be made in Carrara. When I make a movie entirely in Carrara, it is nearly all Daz3d or Renderosity content, if that helps ease your mind.
    edited December 1969

As much as amazing that ever would be --to use only original created in carrara assets only it really would be very unrealistic to think that could be acheived . And I think it would be in good form to list the assets used and who made them in the credits.So as 3d outlaw indciate if someone really wanted to dig into it they could research and find out such and such character really was made by daz in modo or whatever. However those made in carrara should defintely be highlighted in the credits as well.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

And this has what to do with the tomb carrara seems to be in?

• DBuchterDBuchter Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

3dView said:
    As much as amazing that ever would be --to use only original created in carrara assets only it really would be very unrealistic to think that could be acheived . And I think it would be in good form to list the assets used and who made them in the credits.So as 3d outlaw indciate if someone really wanted to dig into it they could research and find out such and such character really was made by daz in modo or whatever. However those made in carrara should defintely be highlighted in the credits as well.

Wha?!?

Why couldn't it be achieved? Doesn't anyone know how to model around here?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784
    edited December 1969

RichardChaos can!!

edited January 2013

Dbuchter----It would certainly be the ultimate achievement to have an entirely carrara modeled project.......and if folks thought that was the way to go all the more applause for that goal. that said----obviously if a mix of assets was used it would speed production drastically and even in the other extreme if only daz assets was used it would move even faster.

Its really about what the community ultimately wants to try. Are there good modelers here ? Of course I was not saying there was not . I was just making a comment about how difficult (time wise) an all carrara content project would be.

And yes Manstan this thread got hyjacked -----but probably for the best--- At least the latter conversation(s) was a little more upbeat.

Post edited by 3dView on
  • FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited January 2013

They hate Carrara. See you on CarraraCafe, if you want to talk to me. Buh-bye.

Post edited by Fenric on
    edited December 1969

:ohh: Alright... We might as well say that DAZ is sabotaging not only Carrara, but the community too. Basically ALL of the Carrara developers have jumped ship now. Evidently it is DAZ's goal to alienate all Carrara users and developers (where they can't simply be fired).

In the past we were allowed to have commercial posts that partaned to Carrara since most of us don't use the rest of the forums. That has apparently been revoked, so there is no way for Carrara developers to communicate with the Carrara community.

This is beyond stupid, this is sabotage.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

:ohh: Alright... We might as well say that DAZ is sabotaging not only Carrara, but the community too. Basically ALL of the Carrara developers have jumped ship now. Evidently it is DAZ's goal to alienate all Carrara users and developers (where they can't simply be fired).

In the past we were allowed to have commercial posts that partaned to Carrara since most of us don't use the rest of the forums. That has apparently been revoked, so there is no way for Carrara developers to communicate with the Carrara community.

Did I miss an announcement? All the Carrara code jockeys left DAZ? I've had my share of criticism about what DAZ is doing with Carrara but I haven't thought it "sabotage." Yet...

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited January 2013

Hear, hear!

Fenric especially has made Carrara a much easier tool to use.
    Thank you Fenric.

please keep working on more plug ins

have you thought about an emai list of carrarites so you can announce new products/?

Post edited by Headwax on
  • RealtimeRealtime Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

the silence (from Daz) is deafening.
    Does anyone personally know any of the Carrara programmers that have moved on?
    Maybe we can chase them down and get information from them...

As for me - Not a dime more...until the indifference and complete disregard of the Carrara community is addressed.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited January 2013

could be that the increasing indifference to carrara has encouraged carrara developers to concentrate more on Daz studio
    eg age of armour and dimension theory

unfortunately
    the less plug ins/carrara specific items there are
    the less carrara grows,
    which means
    less users
    and a smaller market
    the smaller the market
    then
    the less people will want to develop plug ins etc for it

a self fulfilling prophecy that apparently Daz is happy with

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited January 2013

i checked out Blaine Furner's video at carrara cafe.
    Amazing how certain things just stick in my mind. Like the two folks that were in front of the computer bathing in the light of Daz studio - checking out issues with Daz studio. hhhmmmmmmmmmm.........

Note to self - when doing a video of the staff to present to the whole "community" be sure to mention who has been assigned to the different products. Might be good PR.

PC membership is in jeopardy...

Post edited by Realtime on
    edited January 2013

Realtime said:
    The video was hosted on Holly's CARRARA CAFE website *repeat* Holly's CARRARA CAFE website

That wasn't me... my site is my own, no affiliation with DAZ whatsoever...

I only wrote one article for Cafe... it is mostly a project by GKDantes and Jetbird (who does C3DEXPO mag). DAZ sponsored it somehow, possibly offering the web server....

...and Bfurner is still listed as a moderator there :blank:

Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

And don't forget DCG Eric... He pulled all his plugins years ago for the same reasons Fenric is saying now.... Impossible to provide updates to store products, etc.

edited January 2013

Realtime said:
    The video was hosted on Holly's CARRARA CAFE website *repeat* Holly's CARRARA CAFE website

That wasn't me... You know I don't promote DAZ STUDIO...

I only wrote one article... it is mostly a project by GKDantes and Jetbird (who does C3DEXPO mag). DAZ sponsored it somehow, possibly offering the web server....

...and Bfurner is still listed as a moderator there :blank:

My mistake - sorry

Post edited by Realtime on
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    They hate Carrara. See you on CarraraCafe, if you want to talk to me. Buh-bye.

Okay, well that's certainly not the light-hearted, happy talk that people in this forum want to hear.....

And BTW, does anyone have a clue what he's talking about? He sounds a little, well, miffed or something. Almost, well (and I hate to say it...) like a 'Gloomy Gus'.

>:(

This discussion has been closed.