Will there be an 8.5?

ManStanManStan Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

DAZ has been at C8.5 for quite some time, long enough I have to wonder if DAZ wont just go to C9 and charge for a full upgrade. Certainly wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I am not paying DAZ for the privilege of using genesis, other then the addition of genesis compatibility there has been little more done to carrara then tweaks and polish. Some menu changes that just add steps to setting up a scene. But nothing I would consider a full point upgrade. I don't use genesis, just too costly for me.

Most of the changes just seem to make carrara more studio like, if I wanted to be using studio, I would be.

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    DAZ has been at C8.5 for quite some time, long enough I have to wonder if DAZ wont just go to C9 and charge for a full upgrade. Certainly wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I am not paying DAZ for the privilege of using genesis, other then the addition of genesis compatibility there has been little more done to carrara then tweaks and polish. Some menu changes that just add steps to setting up a scene. But nothing I would consider a full point upgrade. I don't use genesis, just too costly for me.

Most of the changes just seem to make carrara more studio like, if I wanted to be using studio, I would be.

welcome back :cheese:

yes there will be 8.5 just for you :roll:

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796
    edited December 1969

I have become pretty reliant on 8.5 for some things and not particulary Genesis either though it is handy so they have me over a barrel if I have to pay extra.
    the FBX import being the main thing, better than 8.1.12, if fact a lot of things from other apps just import mangled into 8.1.12
    Genesis has definately grown on me though.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Can't say i am really back. I want to get back to what I was doing before all this falderal with genesis and DAZ screwed up the collada export;; dynamic clothing animations from studio to carrara. I got the email studio 4.5 release candidate was out and came back to download it to see if UDF worked. Only 1 problem, my C8.5 serial has run out and I can't find the new one.

Like I said, I gave up when this got far more frustrating then fun.

But I will maintain that with the length of time DAZ has been working on C8.5, their fee for C8.5 wont be nominal, or we will go to C9 so DAZ can put a full upgrade price on it. It will have little to do with features and everything to do with pricing.

edited December 1969

CDZCPRO-085-0031101-QCC-001-EBTQFGY (Expires June 26th 2012)

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited June 2012

ManStan said:
    I got the email studio 4.5 release candidate was out and came back to download it to see if UDF worked.

For me, DUF doesn't even work as well as DSF, as far as importing things from Daz Studio. I used to be able to import Genesis with textures and animation (but not the morphs); now I get Genesis with animation allright (still without morphs), but it comes all black!! No textures. And his feet are all crooked.

And the browser is still in total disarray.

Post edited by argus1000 on
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    But I will maintain that with the length of time DAZ has been working on C8.5, their fee for C8.5 wont be nominal, or we will go to C9 so DAZ can put a full upgrade price on it. It will have little to do with features and everything to do with pricing.

Well, maybe they will actually release a piece of Carrara software that isn't bug ridden upon release for a change. I would rather they take their time and get it right.

:coolsmile:

edited December 1969

:lol: aww man, good one.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It does seem arbitrary whether they call it C8.5 or C9... I have to pay for it either way and I will to get the bug fixes for C8.1

It's been so long I don't even remember what features are "new" in C8.5 :long:

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    :lol: aww man, good one.

Yeah, you're right Stan.

I just keep hoping.

:coolsmile:

edited December 1969

the default mipmapped textures also mean I am stuck with 8.5 as redoing all my textures in 8.1.1.12 when opening a project is an utter pain.
    that is what was causing my vanishing shader issue I found!

• TigrestripeTigrestripe Posts: 65
    edited June 2012

ManStan said:
    Can't say i am really back. I want to get back to what I was doing before all this falderal with genesis and DAZ screwed up the collada export;; dynamic clothing animations from studio to carrara. I got the email studio 4.5 release candidate was out and came back to download it to see if UDF worked. Only 1 problem, my C8.5 serial has run out and I can't find the new one.

Like I said, I gave up when this got far more frustrating then fun.

There will be a 8.5. In another 6 to 10 months and there WILL be a V9. Both you'll have to turn over the hard earned cash and nominal to you and I might be different to DAZ. It's nothing but about the money. DAZ knows most of the customer base here will wait until the sun goes super nova. They why they do what they do.

So, there will be a Carrara 9. two to three years after 8.5.

Tigrestripe/DaRkWyNdE

Post edited by Tigrestripe on
    edited December 1969

It does seem arbitrary whether they call it C8.5 or C9... I have to pay for it either way and I will to get the bug fixes for C8.1

It's been so long I don't even remember what features are "new" in C8.5 :long:

Genesis compatibility. Like I said, everything else is just tweaks and polish.

It's a matter of price difference, will it be $50 or $150. 8.5 or 9. Of coarse with DAZ's new pricing that may be $150, and $300.

edited June 2012

Man I love I can count on DAZ. DUF still is a bust. Probably me, I don't know the 18 steps needed to save an animated scene with dynamic clothes to a DUF. When did saving a scene turn in to a tap dancing, hoop jumping, dog and pony show?

This all peaked for me with DS3 and C8. When studio and carrara actually worked together. :down:

Post edited by ManStan on