I am Clueless, please, can you help

greatoneasgreatoneas Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I am completely one hundred percent new to 3d and have been doing ok learning DAZ3d 4.5, Haven't a clu ehow to change Facial Expression. But that's not why I am writing.

I followed a thread here on DAZ for free hair. I downloaded, from April Vanity Site (A link given on this forum)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3889/

But I haven't a clu eon how to incorporate it into Daz. Th eread me file only tells how to use it on the model.

Inside is a runtime folder with Geometries, libraries and texture folders. Inside the library is a Pose and Hair folder.

I have been guessing for hours and still can't do it. I tried copying and pasting. But I'm doing something wrong. Please help.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

What is your Operating System? If Win7 I can get you up and running very soon.
    If you did the Copy and Paste into the My Library Folder and then a Merge as needed, I supect you are up and running but are looking for the items as Smart Content. Older Files that do not Have the DS4 or DS4.5 Metadata will not be in the Smart Content Tab.

Open Your Content Library Tab. Window>Pane (Tabs)>Content Library. Once opened you can Dock it with your Smart Content Tab by dragging it to the empty space on your list of tabs. (If it messes up Just close the Tab and try until it is Docked where you like) Then look in My Library>Poser Formats> and the folders the Read me told you the different parts would be in.

I hope your ready to go. If Not, just ask and we will help until you have it working.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • greatoneasgreatoneas Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I am operating Win7, trying what you are suggesting right now. Could the problem be that I don't have the model for the hair? Do I need a certain model?

edited December 1969

If its just a texture set for the hair yes you will need the Hair before the textures can be used. Textures only change the way it looks. You need the Item for a texture to work on. Many users make this error. Could you link to the Item you have? I'll look and help if I can.

edited December 1969

Thank you!

http://shop.aprilsvanity.com/-free-items/jamie-hair-model-textures/prod_38.html

I downloaded this, and it's not there.

Plus, the free stuff on this page isn't working right.

http://www.most-digital-creations.com/freestuff.htm

It is me, I know this.

I deleted everything I pasted. I may have just pasted in the my library folder in correctly. I never saw this 'merge' option you mentioned.

Thanks so much!!!

edited January 2013

Thank you for showing me the links, I now understand your problem. I can and Will help you. It will just need to wait untill I return home from my Dialysis treatment in the morning. I must go to bed now, but I will do a Image showing you all the steps needed to get all this to work at that time. (I hope you get help before then, I just must leave now or I would do it now.)

I use Items from both sites and they will work. I wish my day (and caretaker) had not put an end to getting this done tonight.
    Please be patent and I will teach you how all these free items can be used. Good night for now.

edited December 1969

Tha k you so much! I can without a doubt wait until the morning. I still have much to learn and if you can teach me how to use things of those sites ill be so grateful .

Best of luck with the dialysis

edited January 2013

I am finally home for the Day and I will start building this Tutorial for You and All New Users to DS and Zip content very soon. It will take me a few hours but it should be up before bed time tonight. I plan to cover Zip content from Daz3D, Renderosity, ShareCG and the two free sites that you linked too. I hope when I'm done all users will be able to enjoy their content from any site without issues.

Edit: This version will be Win7 based. As it is my Operating System and the Fastest to Do. I will cover other OS's as time Allows.

edited December 1969

You rock! Thank you so much. I look forward to it. I never worked with a 3D program, although I am pretty decent with photoshop

Can't wait to learn. Aslo, hating to ask, if you know of a thread where they discuss facial expressions, or are they add ons as well.

edited January 2013

Add ons, Very few are built in. But try this, Select the HEAD of Genesis and open Parameters, then look in Pose Controls>Head section. It should list all the different parts you can adjust.

edited January 2013

Hello, I'm here to say I hit a small snag doing this new Tutorial. I'm still going to finish it but I did not think far enough ahead with what I would need to do before I started. That has caused the Delay.

My Goal is this, My DS4.5 will look just like a Brand new install with only the Default content installed. Then I can show you and All New Users what will happen to your Content folders just Like I'm also a New User to DS4.5. I forgot that to do that I would need to Rename Folders and Change my Preferances in DS4.5. I did that, and moved ahead. The Hitch came when I started to install the Genesis Starter file into a second folder. I lost my Uninstal pointer for My REAL content folder. I have lots of work saved in it and do not wish to lose any of it. That is now being Backed up to My External HDD. After it is done and I get some sleep I can do the Tutorial as I first wished to do.

A Clean DS4.5 Fresh Install with only Default Folders just like a Person starting out would have and see. Then walk everyone from start of installing to useing new Zip Content. I will finish this as soon as possible. It has grown as I went and is now a Must do. When I finish I hope it will be the only Win7 Zip tutorial any user will need.

edited December 1969

I look forward to the tutorial. I downloaded some freebies from this site (DAZ) and they downloaded fine, I had to 'scan known drives' for content to make them visible, but still none of the other stuff i downloaded is there.

So, thank you!!!! I know once I get your tutorial, I',, be able to make use out of the free stuff that's out there.

edited December 1969

Due to health issues I lost yesterday to bed rest, I have managed to get the content files set up now and can proceed with the creation of the tutorial. I'm sorry for yet more delays but such is my life.

edited December 1969

I am so sorry to hear you have been under the weather. I appreciate you thinking about this and working on it.

Take your time. I'll keep checking back.

Get well, rest up!

edited December 1969

I'm still working on this for you and others. I'm A Dialysis patent and my health has been rather iffy for the last few days now. The good news is I have found other users with other files that I have added to this tutorial. I hope to be done as soon as my health allows.

edited December 1969

New Update. I am getting this project to the finished stage. It has become a nice project and is now a full PDF document with an index, chapters and all. All users will now be able to open the PDF read the steps needed for the type of install that works the best for them (Fast, Merge, or fully by hand with copy and paste) and follow each step as they do them. I have tried my best to cover all types of content from many different sites and all methods of install. I'm sorry for the long time it has taken me but the more I did the more I found I could add to it to cover more things. I even cover Finding your content once it is installed.

By this time you might not even need this any longer but thanks to your nudge I hope I have taken the time to write something that others can find useful in the future.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Hi JaderaI, I am looking forward to seeing your tutorial, will help immensly with questions I have about installing content, and do hope you are feeling better, wheneve4r you have it ready I will check it out for sure. thanks for helping always :)

• hermana5hermana5 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi, another one also looking forward to your tutorial, you helped me earlier and then the sales got in the way and now it feels i have way too much as it is now scaring me! Hope you are not overdoing it by helping us out, i know how important it is for you to rest, so please pace yourself, hope today is a good day for you.