Nothing showing up in Smart Content

AsmorAsmor Posts: 0
edited June 2012 in New Users

I had previously installed an older version of Daz Studio 4 standard 32bit which I had handy, and everything worked more or less as expected. I don't remember the exact version, but it was something like 4.0.0.xxxx. The "smart content" tab was called something like "my stuff".

I've just upgraded to Daz Studio Pro 64-bit 4.0.3.47, and now nothing's showing up in my smart content tab. I can get to things by browsing the content library, but if I click on Genesis itself nothing shows up. This goes for the smart content tab, the surfaces tab, and the shaping tab. Whether I'm set for "files" or "products", both are completely empty; all I have is "All", and clicking on that nothing shows up.

I tried uninstalling everything, including all content and the content management service; I even deleted the DAZ 3d folder after the uninstalls. I reinstalled from scratch. No dice, it's exactly the same.

Any ideas?

Post edited by Asmor on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

On the Content Library tab, click on the Options menu (the rectangle with horizontal lines in the upper corner) and choose "Content DB Maintenance" > "Re-Import Metadata".

If that doesn't fix it:

Make sure you Stop the CMS before uninstalling it, and either delete the databases or install them to a different location when you reinstall DS4. When you start up DS4, if you are not prompted to import the metadata, do the Re-Import described above.

• AsmorAsmor Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

That did it! Thanks for the fast response! If I ever run into you, I'll buy you a cookie.

• Kyu2130Kyu2130 Posts: 97
    edited December 1969

That was good information.. its just to bad that neither of those tips worked for me.. i just installed adz studio on my macbook and had the same problem. Seeing as it was a fresh install and i havent installed any of my addons i cant figure out why my smart content tab is still blank. any help would be great

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

First we need to be sure your content is installed into the proper folder. Then we need to know if your DS is pointing to that folder so it can be read by DS.

Please List which folder is the Default Content folder. Then list which folder you have installed any other content into.
    After that could you please open the DS Pref's (That's under the Edit Menu) and the Content Library then the Content Diroectory Manager and expand all the listed folders like this. Then post it.

Content-1.jpg
    459 x 371 - 41K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited August 2012

everything is in this location.. this is a completely fresh install because i wanted a clean install of mountain lion. So everything is basically right where the installer wanted to put it. Prior to the system reset everything was showing up on the smart content panel.

sorry i took so long to reply.

Screen_Shot_2012-08-02_at_7.35_.33_PM_.png
    1920 x 1080 - 366K
    Post edited by Kyu2130 on
    edited August 2012

Do this for me. Check in your Documents folder and Find the Daz3D folder and open it. It should have a Studio folder with a My Library folder inside it.
    Your full path to the Content should be "DRIVE":/Users/Your Name/Documents/Daz3D/Studio/My Library
    I'm not Mac so I'm not sure if the Drive Letter shows in your paths or not.
    If that path is your full path. You need to change the Daz Studio Formats path to the Full path
    And then do the same to the Poser Formats path in your prefs.
    You can add your other Poser Runtime path after you have the Full DS path listed as a poser path.
    You want both to end at the My Library folder if it exist on your PC.

Let me know if this helps. You will need to close DS and run it again before the new paths will be read by DS. If you still do not have Smart Content try the Import Metadata tip from before.

I hope this helps.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

nope that didn't work.. i do remember that before i reset the system i had a Studio folder.. but i can't find it since i reinstalled DS. i tried creating file thread but that didn't work either. little frustrated. i did try the earlier tips as well again...

if i i reinstall DS should i create the folder thread and point to it in the setup..

edited December 1969

DS4 is supposed to create that folder at install. It is where all the included content goes with a default DS4 install. Let me try to find you a Mac user and get you some help. I know at least one of the Admin's can help I'm just not sure what time zone they are in. It might take me some time.

• mschackmschack Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

I am on an older Macbook Pro and had the same issue. Though when I first installed v4.0.x.x it worked fine until I had installed a few more products then it just stopped working. I uninstalled everything including content when I reinstalled v4.5. I reinstalled all my content and it is the same. The content library does show everything correctly, just the Smart Content tab is empty.

edited December 1969

AH... That sounds like the CMS is not running. Can you check your processes and see if the CMS (Content Management Service) is running?

edited December 1969

I looked in my process list and there didn't seem to be anything of the sort. Though I might be looking in the wrong place. How would I start it?

edited December 1969

I'm PC so I'm not sure. I'll PM the resident Mac user and see if we can get him in this thread for you.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,426
    edited December 1969

The script to start the CMS (assuming it was installed properly) is at:
    /Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio 64-bit/service/Start DAZ Content Management Service

edited December 1969

Nothing in that folder... I do remember the "Customize Content Service" button during install, I don't think I checked it if that makes any difference.

edited December 1969

Ok I found it. It was in /Library/DAZ3D/Content Management Service/

I wonder if this was left over from a previous version. I opened the latest log and it says:

Sun Aug 5 2012 01:20:50.288744 (TID 140735075514112): ERROR 0xFFFFFFD9: Cannot open 'master' database

I suppose I have to specifically uninstall it and reinstall DAZ again?

Thanks

edited December 1969

That worked.
    If I uninstall the old CMS, then uninstall/reinstall DAZ studio, it will reinstall the CMS properly and the smart content is back.

edited December 1969

I'm so happy for you, if only it was easier to fix than that. At least you dont lose content and need to redo it.

• Monte323Monte323 Posts: 22
    edited August 2012

I don't suppose there are any other options available here? I'm having the same issue and have checked my file pathing (attached screencap), have run the Content DB Maintenance several times and it DOES give me a notification that it about importing the meta data, but still nothing showing up in the Smart Content tab. I DO see the items in the content library, but I'd really like to remedy the SC issue.

appreciate any assistance,
    Keith

Resized.jpg
    1920 x 1250 - 160K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

On the Content Library tab, is there anything under Categories?

edited December 1969

Thanks for your rapid reply. The Daz and Poser formats are filled, but no, there is nothing under either Products or Categories as you asked. I take it I'm missing something there?

edited December 1969

Monte323 said:
    Thanks for your rapid reply. The Daz and Poser formats are filled, but no, there is nothing under either Products or Categories as you asked. I take it I'm missing something there?

That suggests the CMS isn't actually running, or is being blocked. What OS and version of DS are you using, and what security program (antivirus/firewall)?

edited December 1969

I'm running Mac OS 10.7.4 with McAfee - I tried adding all Daz folders to the exclusion list and then clicking on the "Start DAZ Content Management Service" item in its utility folder, and then refreshing the Meta from within Daz, but unfortunately still no luck. I did try this with McAfee completely disabled as well.

Not sure what else to do, if you may have any other thoughts? Either way, thanks for your time.

edited December 1969

Let me see if I can find a Mac person. When you start the CMS, does it show under active processes?

edited December 1969

No, I don't see it in the activity monitor

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,441
    edited December 1969

Hello,

do you see anything in the logs from the CMS? console.log or system.log, using the "System messages" application?
    And in your CMS folder there is a folder named vlogs, does that log files in vlogs say anything interesting?

/ Totte

edited December 1969

Good afternoon and thanks for your reply. I don't see anything in there. I just uninstalled my virus software completely, dropped my firewall and reinstalled DAZ 4.5. I still don't see anything in the smart content tab and don't see the CMS running in activity monitor. Highly frustrating, really hope I can solve this!

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,441
    edited December 1969

Monte323 said:
    Good afternoon and thanks for your reply. I don't see anything in there. I just uninstalled my virus software completely, dropped my firewall and reinstalled DAZ 4.5. I still don't see anything in the smart content tab and don't see the CMS running in activity monitor. Highly frustrating, really hope I can solve this!

What does the 'DAZ Content Management Service_YYYYMMXX_HHMMSS.log' say in vlogs in the CMS directory or does it even create such a file?

edited December 1969

Hi Totte, sorry if my response was unclear. There are currently no files at all in the vlogs folder

• srimasisroutsrimasisrout Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

i am also having the same problem... i tried everything but cms fails to run. here are my vlogs....

/*************************************************************************************/
    Tue Aug 28 2012 21:13:11.627000 ContentManagementServer (4.8, Kernel 4.8 )
    Licence license_emb_4422548148518942 is registered to DAZ3D.
    Valid until 9999-12-31. Subscription valid until 2013-02-08.
    Maximum number of connections: 5

Tue Aug 28 2012 21:13:13.047000 (TID 2148): VProject facilities are disabled since no appropriate license found
    Tue Aug 28 2012 21:13:13.047000 (TID 2148): Server started
    Tue Aug 28 2012 21:13:13.047000 (TID 2148): Non-secure port: 27997
    Wed Aug 29 2012 09:52:30.810000 (TID 2344): (UID 472) Client has been disconnected due to the transfer timeout

• smartiessmarties Posts: 1
    edited September 2012

I was experiencing the same problem on Mac, until I read this thread and started experiencing.

I solved the problem by navigating to /Library/DAZ 3D/Content Management Service/databases and deleting all the folder content (I noticed they were old — since I installed DAZ Studio 3 one year ago, means never been used by the software).

I then opened the Content DB Maintenance as mentioned above on the thread, and checked Re-import Metadata, let it process and everything was solved since. Now I can see Smart Content populated, finally!

I hope this will help you.

Post edited by smarties on