Posing problem with long-skirted gowns (V4)

joea64_bdfaa5ca94joea64_bdfaa5ca94 Posts: 298
edited January 2013 in New Users

Been a while since I was last here, but I've got a problem that's frustrating me. I can't seem to apply a pose to a V4 figure that's wearing a long-skirted gown without having the entire leg and foot poke through the gown, and I haven't so far been able to find a way to adjust the gown to properly cover the leg; it makes it look like a side-slit gown, but that's exactly the problem - the outfit is not a side-slit gown. Hiding the leg and foot isn't a wholly satisfactory solution, I want to have the gown skirt move out to suggest the position of the legs underneath. Here are some sample pictures I've taken of the problem; the specific outfit in these images is the new V4 Benefit Gala Gown but the problem is applicable to any other outfit with a long skirt (the other outfit I've tried so far is Powerage's Vendome gown).

As you can see, the skirt is especially badly out of position in the fourth and fifth images. I really don't think it's supposed to behave like that but I'm not sure what to do to fix it because I can't find anything in the "Parameters" menu that works to get the skirt back into proper position.

Post edited by joea64_bdfaa5ca94 on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

Usually theer are either extra bones attached to the hip of the dress, or morphs in the hip (and possibly on the root), or both. You need to use those to adjust the way the skirt hangs - there isn't an automatic process. In Poser you can also make the skirt dynamic, if it is modelled suitably.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

Long dresses were designed to only fit some poses. Turning off the visability of thighs and shins helps in some cases but not all. Also check the dress for built in morphs that can help.

EDIT: Think it is supposed to be TIGHT fitting and not let the wearer pose like you have shown.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

Do you not have any "handles" for the dress, sometimes found in the Hip section on the parameter tabs.

can you give us a link to the gown.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • joea64_bdfaa5ca94joea64_bdfaa5ca94 Posts: 298
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Do you not have any "handles" for the dress, sometimes found in the Hip section on the parameter tabs.

can you give us a link to the gown.

The gown is actually a pretty old one, it used to be at RDNA but is no longer there. I'm also trying to use Powerage's Vendome gown, so maybe it will be more useful if I post you the link to that one:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/vendome-dress-for-as-alice-gnd4/61222

The poses are from ironman13's Pose Revoultion, Desperado, Girls with Guns and Halcyone's Killer.

vendome_gown_pose_test_image_05.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 148K
    vendome_gown_pose_test_image_04.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 149K
    vendome_gown_pose_test_image_03.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 172K
    vendome_gown_pose_test_image_02.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 154K
    vendome_gown_pose_test_image_01.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 183K
    edited December 1969

As I have stated before, the dresses shown are not real cloth, they are 3D Mesh files that will never work in DS the way you want them too. The Meshes were not ment to work this way and were designed for poses as seen in the promo renders for the item only. They will not fit this pose set in DS and were never ment to be used the way you wish that they would.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Was just going to say the same. The Powerage one in particular, you notice in his promos that he only uses very static, standing poses.

This dress is meant to be a very form fitting dress, and anyone wearing it would not be able to move the way you want your 3d model to move. They have to be very ladylike, and move with tiny, gentile steps.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Was just going to say the same. The Powerage one in particular, you notice in his promos that he only uses very static, standing poses.

This dress is meant to be a very form fitting dress, and anyone wearing it would not be able to move the way you want your 3d model to move. They have to be very ladylike, and move with tiny, gentile steps.

Maybe...but then again, maybe not! This is what I came up with for those five poses when I found the "Adjust Dress" menu in the Parameters menu and applied various things such as Back/Left/Right Bend and Back/Left/Right Side-Side, as well as manipulating the legs and (once) hiding the right leg:

Looks like (once again) I answered my own question, at least as far as the Vendome gown goes. (embarrassed :) ) The Benefit Gala gown seems to be quite old, anyway, as it doesn't appear to have an "Adjust Dress" submenu. Vendome appears to be much more versatile.

vendome_gown_pose_test_image_10.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 164K
    vendome_gown_pose_test_image_09.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 183K
    vendome_gown_pose_test_image_08.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 152K
    vendome_gown_pose_test_image_07.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 189K
    vendome_gown_pose_test_image_06.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 172K
    edited December 1969

I did say check the dress for Morphs. Glad your up and running. Happy rendering and New Year.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Gala has 4 skirt handles under Skirt in the scene tab.

There are also two morphs accessible under Parameters. They are under Morphs Skirt and they are Flare-skirt and Skirt-lift.

edited January 2013

Pendraia said:

There are also two morphs accessible under Parameters. They are under Morphs Skirt and they are Flare-skirt and Skirt-lift.

OK, thanks!

EDIT: Problem solved. :D Using the skirt handles, this is what I came up with for one of the "Girls with Guns" poses.

vendome_gown_pose_test_image_12.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 129K
    edited December 1969

joea64 said:
    Pendraia said:

OK, thanks!

EDIT: Problem solved. :D Using the skirt handles, this is what I came up with for one of the "Girls with Guns" poses.

Glad it worked...it can be confusing when you first start as things are sometimes in different spots.

edited April 2014

Pendraia said:
    joea64 said:
    Pendraia said:

OK, thanks!

Glad it worked...it can be confusing when you first start as things are sometimes in different spots.

Agreed. Just to prove I could do it again, I redid four more poses using the skirt handles:

I think I'm going to go with the Vendome gown after all for this character in the upcoming project, I just like the look better. (As you might have guessed from the poses, it's going to be an action story. Got me some very nice firearms models that I can't wait to try...) Come to think of it, what I've learned may also prove the solution to that problem with the boots from the Steampunk Saloon set that was bugging me back in November.

vendome_gown_pose_test_image_16.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 134K
    vendome_gown_pose_test_image_15.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 128K
    vendome_gown_pose_test_image_14.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 145K
    vendome_gown_pose_test_image_13.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 136K
    edited December 1969

Great to hear that you have it sorted! Good luck with your story...

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Great to hear that you have it sorted! Good luck with your story...

Thanks! Now what I need to do is to find evening purses or handbags that go with formal outfits and that are large enough (or can be scaled up to the proper size and still look good) to hold weapons and other gear. (Thinking of the kind of nice purse that a femme fatale in an evening gown like the two in this thread would keep her pistol in... ;) )

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Well for formal dress typical scenario is with a small pistol that would fit in a clutch or inside thigh holster.

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Well for formal dress typical scenario is with a small pistol that would fit in a clutch or inside thigh holster.

Are there any thigh holsters available for V4? I have a pretty good number of firearms models classic and modern by now, but I don't know if any of them is a small model of the sort suitable for holding in a garter holster. Any ideas?

edited December 1969

Sensibility Props 3 has a purse but it doesn't have any open morphs

edited December 1969

The problem with a thigh holster is that to use it, one would have to add morphs to any dress they were going to use it with. If one was skilled enough to do that, they should have little problem coming up with a gun/holster solution.

edited April 2014

Gedd said:
    The problem with a thigh holster is that to use it, one would have to add morphs to any dress they were going to use it with. If one was skilled enough to do that, they should have little problem coming up with a gun/holster solution.

I thought of that problem too - the Benefit Gala and Vendome skirts are really too voluminous to lift quickly, and cutting a pocket into them would (1) look bad and (2) be bad for concealability. So I'm going to go with the purse/handbag route. I have three pistols - Walther P99, HK USP and Beretta M9S - that come equipped with silencers, but the silencers can be removed which would make the weapons capable of being held in a purse. (Hmmm, maybe a purse that was modified to fire through? I'm sure I saw that in an '60's spy movie somewhere.)

edited January 2013

No pockets, think something like fine grade velcro at seam like a set of breakaway pants, not visible until necessary, then a hole at the seam large enough to quickly get in to the holster. Looks aren't as important at the point one is reaching for a gun. The more common solution though is to simply hike the dress up waist high and grab the gun while concealed around a corner or ... whatever the situation calls for, usually not meant to be a quick solution if one is choosing a dress like that.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

I think I've found what I need:

http://www.daz3d.com/cosmopolitan-girl-accessory-pack-1

Three kinds of purses including a large-looking clutch purse with open/close morphs in a wide variety of colors that should match my characters' gowns, plus extras.

edited December 1969

joea64 said:

Three kinds of purses including a large-looking clutch purse with open/close morphs in a wide variety of colors that should match my characters' gowns, plus extras.

The smaller clutch purse in the last promo would work well...
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    joea64 said:

The smaller clutch purse in the last promo would work well...

That was what I was thinking - the silver clutch for the white gown, and the black clutch for the black gown. They could be scaled up a touch to make them roomy enough to contain not just a pistol but other equipment (I have a bunch of grenade models from ShareCG, for example.)

edited December 1969

Sounds good...

edited December 1969

Did some more work today, and here are four finished characters in test poses.

Four_Spy_Ladies.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 452K
    edited December 1969

joea64 said:

Very cool...

edited December 1969

joea64 said:
    Looking good. You are now ahead of me by far when I was a new user. Keep it up.
  • edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    As I have stated before, the dresses shown are not real cloth, they are 3D Mesh files that will never work in DS the way you want them too. The Meshes were not ment to work this way and were designed for poses as seen in the promo renders for the item only. They will not fit this pose set in DS and were never ment to be used the way you wish that they would.

The tavern maid dress in http://www.daz3d.com/tavern-maid follows the legs, i does not work perfectly but it work well enough for walking animations. Does any other long dresses work like this?
    Its common enough on short dresses and would not work well on wide dresses.
    edited April 2014

While preparing the characters for my next render series, I decided to give my favorite character, whom I've been working on since I started with Daz and whom some of you will have seen earlier versions of in this forum, a makeover. She originally started out as a 2D comics character who lived in an alternate-history/steampunkish Edwardian milieu (which is a major reason why I've been looking so long and hard for Edwardian-era costumes and hairstyles - and I STILL haven't found a good Edwardian-era hairstyle!), but when I started Daz I decided to experiment with a modern-day version of her. As currently conceived, her face is based on Aphrodite by Liquid Rust Productions with AprilYSH's Portia hair (done up in scheme #19 from COLORation Portia) and green eyes from Vex and Sabby's Sherry character (her face was actually based on the Sherry character originally).

Her outfit is a real kitbash. She's wearing Powerage's Vendome gown and Richabri's V4 Pearls (with Billy-T's Leather Corset in Lillyana's "Couture" green accessorized by garter straps from the new Superhose Garterbelt set, white full-fashioned stockings from Pumps and Stocking for V4, and white leather thigh boots from idler168's Thigh Boots for V4 underneath), wielding Beretta M9S in silver, equipped with silencer, and carrying a silver clutch purse from the Cosmopolitan Girl Accessories collection. Poses come from Halcyone's Killer and Desperado pose sets.

Fleurette-Louise_Zeroing_In_Wearing_Vendome_Gown_010413.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 212K
    Fleurette-Louise_In_Action_In_Vendome_Gown_010413.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 286K
    edited January 2013

My character's sidekick has gotten herself a makeover too. Here they are posing in front of their silver Rolls (Powerage's Roads-Royds Fantom). The maid is wearing an outfit kitbashed from various French maid outfits; the boots come from Steampunk Saloon.

Fleurette-Louise_and_Mariette_Makeover_010513_With_Their_Silver_Rolls_IBL_Light_2_2000_x_1000_85_percent_quality.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 322K