Download speed from DAZ oddity

jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Ok, can someone who is much more knowledgeable in all things computereze explain this to me....

Downloading a product from the "my downloads" area at DAZ - I get 56 kbs for speed.
Downloading a product from the order confirmation email - I get 2.0 mbs for speed.

That's a HUGE difference.

What causes this????? Using Waterfox/Firefox and Chrome I get super snail slow speeds, so the browser I'm using doesn't make a difference.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738
    edited December 1969

There do seem to be some oddities, speed wise. I get as good a speed as I've ever got with the downloads from my account page - meaning up to 900KBs - but others have seen poor speeds compared to the best their connection can offer or to past speeds from DAZ.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

i used to get my full speed until the new site. Then they just tanked. It's almost as bad as rendo .

I just am curious why i get full speed when clicking the download links in the email, and get really really slow when clicking in my download products on teh site.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I've only noticed the slow speeds the past couple/three weeks, not since the new store opened. I used to get around 1mb+/sec and now am getting under 200kb/sec. That's a huge difference.

I've never tried downloading from the invoice email. I should try that next time and see what the difference is.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 548
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    I've only noticed the slow speeds the past couple/three weeks, not since the new store opened. I used to get around 1mb+/sec and now am getting under 200kb/sec. That's a huge difference.

I've never tried downloading from the invoice email. I should try that next time and see what the difference is.

Noticed the exact same thing but for about a month or so. I'm going to try the email as well. Won't help with resets but with new items it might.

edited December 1969

Interesting - I just tried clicking on a link from yesterday's order for the two new Never items, and got 150-200KBs compared to 7-800KBs from my downloads page - hardly a large sample, but in this instance the reverse of what Jaki is seeing.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

I have not tested speeds between the two methods but I have experianced slow downloads when downloading from My Account page.

What I have noticed between the two is that if I download from the link in my email then there is a possability that it will not complete and FF gives me an error message stating that it could not be saved. However if I download from My Account page then it always finishes without an issue.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 2012

Interesting - I just tried clicking on a link from yesterday's order for the two new Never items, and got 150-200KBs compared to 7-800KBs from my downloads page - hardly a large sample, but in this instance the reverse of what Jaki is seeing.

Yeah, I've had that too. The last reset and download of the DS beta I was topping out at just over 400...which is very unusual for me, as I usually max out between 250 and 300 anywhere (and that's the best connection you can get around here...)

Two of the most important things, in my opinion, when it comes to download speed from DAZ, are location and ISP...where you are located, in relation to the servers and who your ISP is seem to be the major influencing factors, on speed related issues. It's quite possible that the two different links are being routed through two different servers/locations. And it seems some ISPs are just slow when it comes to certain sites/content providers...as if they are 'capping' the speed from said locations.

I have not tested speeds between the two methods but I have experianced slow downloads when downloading from My Account page.

What I have noticed between the two is that if I download from the link in my email then there is a possability that it will not complete and FF gives me an error message stating that it could not be saved. However if I download from My Account page then it always finishes without an issue.

Further evidence of different routing between the links...possibly even ending up at different servers.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

OK, I just tried downloading something from the other day through the invoice link, and it was faster (350kb to 400kb per second), but still not anywhere near what I used to get through the downloads page in my account here in the store.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Glitches here, too, over the past couple of weeks. Usually I get full-speed downloads, but sometimes the speed drops, and occasionally it drops to dialup speeds. As far as I can tell, I'm not having matching hiccups at the same time at any other site.

I've never tried the links in the e-mails, have to give it a go the next time I have speed problems that won't go away.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

it's interesting to see that a lot of people who used to get quite fast speeds - or even their normal top speed they are supposed to get from their ISP - are experiencing much slower speeds here on the site.

As Muon Quark says, it doesn't help with resets - of which I've been doing a lot due to the new laptop - but with new items, I've started downloading them from the email instead, which is definitely giving me faster speeds.

I agree with mjc1016, that ISP can make a difference. We're with the major one here in Australia - Telstra. I noticed a jump in speed when I switched from another ISP to Telstra last year - and I do know that certain sites will give me different speeds. DAZ was always consistently the FASTEST site when downloading for me - Rendo was usually the slowest.

edited December 1969

I agree Jaki, DAZ has always been the servers with the fastest download speeds. When I started getting slower d/l speeds, I was under the impression it was because of all the sales going on this month. With lots of folks d/ling at the same time, you can run into a traffic jam, which is what I thought was causing the problems, but if you've been having these problems since May, then I don't think the sales really had much to do with it.

Then again, I'm half a world away from you, and this site is very international as far as where everyone lives, so I can't say it's heavier here in the States than it is down under or across the pond, as it were. At least, thanks to you, I'll be d/ling from the email links as it is quite a bit faster than from the my download page.

edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    I agree Jaki, DAZ has always been the servers with the fastest download speeds. When I started getting slower d/l speeds, I was under the impression it was because of all the sales going on this month. With lots of folks d/ling at the same time, you can run into a traffic jam, which is what I thought was causing the problems, but if you've been having these problems since May, then I don't think the sales really had much to do with it.

Then again, I'm half a world away from you, and this site is very international as far as where everyone lives, so I can't say it's heavier here in the States than it is down under or across the pond, as it were. At least, thanks to you, I'll be d/ling from the email links as it is quite a bit faster than from the my download page.

Something that I'm unsure of, but could be very relevant...where exactly the files are being served from. If they, like the site and forum pages are coming off of Cloudflare servers, then distance to DAZ and your location don't matter. There's 23 Cloudflare locations, around the world...so that means there's at least one 'close' to where ever you are...mostly. This is one of the reasons for going to a 'cloud'/distributed service in the first place. It makes the site 'local'. That will also account for why some have problems and others don't. It's simply a matter of some getting things from one Cloudflare server and others getting served from a different one.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Well, this is odd but in a good way. I just got 3DU's monkey and downloaded it from My Account. It went so fast I didn't even notice the speed and it's 14 megs. I just installed it so the file came down in full.

This hasn't happened to me at DAZ since before the changeover.

Happy tonight!

Or is everybody else sound asleep after partying hard? Happy New Year!

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,505
    edited December 1969

I guess it's DNS related as DNS shows multiple servers for www.daz3d.com, probably one of the servers has problems, and gods of random decide which server you get from DNS. Could also be a flaky load balance server that forget to count downloads as connections, so you end up in a traffic jam on the same server.

edited December 1969

I would doubt that Cloudflare is an issue, directly, since as far as I know the download links are unique - though I suppose they must ultimately point to one of a few copies of the files on the servers.

edited December 1969

I would doubt that Cloudflare is an issue, directly, since as far as I know the download links are unique - though I suppose they must ultimately point to one of a few copies of the files on the servers.

It seems to be more of the actual route it takes to get to those files...and there's a very good chance that if you are using webmail and click on the link in your email that the route is going, not, from your machine to the file, like if you click on the link in your account, but, rather, going from where the email is (whatever Google or Yahoo server you are connected to at the moment). Which, depending where you live, could very easily put you through a much different route to the actual file.

I just download the Garbage Pile...twice. The first was the link in confirmation email and it was chugging along at an average speed of about 220k...until it quit at 115 MB...

So, I then went to the account download page. It finished and was an average speed of about 225k...not much of a difference.

The link from the email was fairly steady holding around 220 the whole time, until it dropped the connection and quit (resume is NOT enabled on these files, so that's one of the problems...a small 'burp' and the file doesn't complete downloading. The link from my account page was going up to over 300k and down to around 100k...with the average being 225, at the end. That's another thing that points to two different servers...