Site complaints....

RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Not sure why DAZ can't seem to get it together with this logon stuff. It's really a royal PITA. I also constantly find the need to resubscribe to topics on a constant basis. This is much much worse than the old site. MUCH! I really hope in the New Year they buckle down and get this all running more smoothly because quite frankly it's very off putting. :coolmad:

I'm only starting this thread, Moderators, because the sticky thread for the site complaints and concerns seems to have vanished. What, DAZ doesn't want to hear any more complaints? Too bad. It's a mess, they need to fix their mess! :coolmad:

Oh and HAPPY NEW YEAR! :P

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

It is so variable though. On my main computer visiting DAZ on my main computer is borked for the store, though I never get logged out of the forums. On my laptop I not only never get logged out of the forum but I also stay logged into the store for a fairly long time. At least 12 hours because I logged in on the lap top last night to check something and was still logged on when I checked something about an hour ago. Even though I had closed the browser. As to topic drops, I almost never get dropped any more though there is the occasional thread that I seem to fall out of. But I can't be sure that I didn't just read the email rather than remember to click the link as well so I am not sure if it is me or them.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Yea, my computer at work the log on is better, used to be worse but now it's switched. The home computer, the main computer for 3D stuff, if I go directly to the store SOMETIMES I'm logged on (since I always have something in the cart I just notice that it's showing items in the cart. But if I go to the forums first allot of the times I'm logged in and then the next visit I'm logged back out. I really think they should have researched Store/Forum software a bit more closely. The Renderosity set up is very nice and I'm never logged out regardless of the computer I'm on. I log on, I stay logged on.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Right.
    Rendo never logs me out of the store or the forums.
    Luckily, I don't get logged out of the Daz forums, but always get logged out of the Store, sometimes while I have been active on the site.

edited December 1969

Your fortunate.

This AM I went to the forums first... logged out. So I click the Log In link at the top of the page. It logs me in, sort of, and I'm redirected to "My Account" rather than back to the forum page (now at work it works as expected, I'm logged on and redirected back to the forum page). So then to test the log on I go back to GMail and click on the forum topic link and it opens a new tab ... nope, logged out. Close that tab. Back to the account page, Click the Log Out link and then Log back in and then retry the link from GMail... NOW I'm logged in at the forum level as well as the store.

This is why I'm so frigging frustrated with this whole mess. :coolmad: I've tried all the tricks including clearing the cache... no go. It's gotta be on DAZ's end. It's simply ridiculous!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    edited December 1969

...I still get logged out of the forums here occasionally.

...haven't experienced a lot of trouble with the store lately except during the Snowball Snafu before the holidays when I would get Magento errors that the site was inaccessible. I chocked that up to a choked up server due to heavy response to the Teens5 Snowball glitch.

edited December 1969

This AM I went to the forums first… logged out. So I click the Log In link at the top of the page. It logs me in, sort of, and I’m redirected to “My Account” rather than back to the forum page (now at work it works as expected, I’m logged on and redirected back to the forum page). So then to test the log on I go back to GMail and click on the forum topic link and it opens a new tab ... nope, logged out. Close that tab. Back to the account page, Click the Log Out link and then Log back in and then retry the link from GMail… NOW I’m logged in at the forum level as well as the store.

I had that happen yesterday myself. But again just on the one computer. The laptop was still staying logged in fine. Since it is the same browser on both but only one has issues I'm still inclined to think I've done something on this computer and not the other that is nurfing it. It may just be that a version of 9 is more picky about something than the later version or I may have fiddled with something. I know that I started having more issues after I did some fiddling around with cookies so it may have been that.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

There's somewhere around 20 scripts needed to run the forum...at least 3 of them deal with writing/reading cookies. If for some reason one of those 3 doesn't get run or is blocked, then your session gets out of sync or the cookie goes 'stale'. When that happens, you get logged out.

With some of the hiccups, on Cloudflare's end (certain Cloudflare servers seem to be 'out of sync', for lack of better terms), could very well be part, if not the login/logout issue. Then there is the whole 'nannyware' issue (including recent updates to NoScript...for FF users) that could (read probably is) be adding to the problem. And, something else, that's seldom considered, but does cause these problems...your computer's time and date being accurately set. If your time or date is incorrect, then having an accurate cookie is impossible...and most sites/cookies require an accurate timestamp. The variance depends, but generally if your time is more than a couple of hours off, you'll have trouble staying logged in.

edited December 1969

...the more I read this kind of stuff, the more I feel that even though it may have been a rickety house of cards, the old site still worked a lot better overall.

It's been what, almost seven and a half months, and a lot of things still don't work or will not because "Magento can't do that"

Funny that old "broken down" open source PHP software could.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

It's highly unlikely that nearly everybody has their clocks set to the wrong time seeing as they normally call home to the satellite to get the time.

It is possible that browser security features can have problems with cookies on any website with a separate forum and store login ... albeit rather strange that of all the websites most of us shop at, this is the only one that appears rather dedicated to kicking out its customers while they are shopping. Clearing the cache may help at times, but you know, browsers keep a cache for a reason and some of us actually like having history kept for a day or so. Just my 2 cents worth.

This takes the Cake Home, Chocolate Icing and All ... oh please pardon, but does nobody even look at the pages before going home for the day!

A newbie coming here and seeing this, would just move on you know.

These screenshots were all taken just a couple of minutes ago.

nothing_new.png
    600 x 403 - 98K
    no_free_items.png
    600 x 393 - 103K
    no_fast_grab.png
    600 x 379 - 111K
    no_bundles.png
    600 x 400 - 97K
  • CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited December 2012

Umm ... 90% of the DAZ store is "Down" right now, as in say the Bogo2, or even the New Releases - Totally blank...

So not cool... My main render rig was offline the last couple nights as 2 of my hd's were beggining to show signs of failing (Zero Spin Retry Count Errors in yellow warning status via hdtune & speedfan), as well as offline sector remaping (can't recall specifically the term). , both the O/S drive as well as one of my archives storage drive ... Didn't loose any data yet, although I did buy 2 SSD type drives, and spent all my spare time backing up stuff then begun installing windows on the new drives... (yeah, i work 8.5hrs a day, come home, eat, do other required stuff, then at the end, get a chance to sit down for a couple hours before racking out ..)

Same thing is coming up on my NetBook which has been online the whole time the past week, and its coming up with the same page too... even Daz Originals, Fastgrab, Free Models, etc...

Was really hoping to get in some Bogo2 savings before the evening was over, been a bit overwhelming as well as time consuming flipping through the 30+ pages per buy & get categories... argh..... Daz3d needs to improve that area too...

Edit / Addendum: Guess I was already beaten to the punch! Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this...

Hope the Bogo2 sale is on for a few more days yet...

Daz_-_blank_store.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 326K
    Post edited by CoolBreeze on
  • AntManAntMan Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

I have two new items out and this is the last thing I need.

edited December 1969

...fortunately I already got them.

• AntManAntMan Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

A silver lining. : )

edited December 1969

Well, right now there is a 0 byte script being served from Cloudfront (one of the other cloud services that is critical to the working of the site as a whole)...

But the lack of content on the store pages IS not the same issue that's been plaguing some.

Oh, if you can get to the individual pages for the vendors, the content is still showing. Not sure how long that will last, though...

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...the more I read this kind of stuff, the more I feel that even though it may have been a rickety house of cards, the old site still worked a lot better overall.

It's been what, almost seven and a half months, and a lot of things still don't work or will not because "Magento can't do that"

Be careful Kyoto

Whenever I have said the same thing, I get half a dozen people telling me the old site was held together with duct tape.

EVERYTHING about the old site was better.

edited December 1969

Duct tape...is like the Force...there's a Light side and a Dark side and it holds the Universe together.

edited December 2012

...yeah, but duct tape helped to bring the Apollo 13 crew home. If it can do that in RL, in it's virtual form it can keep a measly website running.

Don't underestimate the power of Duct Tape, it is what binds and holds the universe together.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Total Posts: 455

Joined 2006-06-13

Kyoto Kid - 30 December 2012 09:15 PM

It’s been what, almost seven and a half months, and a lot of things still don’t work or will not because “Magento can’t do that”

Funny that old “broken down” open source PHP software could.

Be careful Kyoto

Whenever I have said the same thing, I get half a dozen people telling me the old site was held together with duct tape.

And it only took maybe 10 years to get all that code done so it had all those bells and whistles because the old software couldn't do it either. And all coded by someone who is no longer with the company. Even if it takes 5 years to get the sort by added back to our histories that will still be faster than they were originally added to the store. That is something I actually remember being "cool and new". In comparison to how long some things took to happen with the old software 7 months is a blink of the eye.
    edited December 2012

Khory said:
    And it only took maybe 10 years to get all that code done so it had all those bells and whistles because the old software couldn't do it either. And all coded by someone who is no longer with the company. Even if it takes 5 years to get the sort by added back to our histories that will still be faster than they were originally added to the store. That is something I actually remember being "cool and new". In comparison to how long some things took to happen with the old software 7 months is a blink of the eye.

...so why tank what was working and make everyone deal with all this rubbish all over again with software that clearly cannot support many of the functions the old PHP site did no matter what the development wizards do?

Rendo upgraded with nary a hiccup. So did the Dumpshock (Shadodwrun RPG) forums as well as my local newspaper site. Heck my company upgraded and we didn't lose one day of sales.

...this whole Magento experience has been nothing but a lose - lose situation.

Daz needs to admit they made an error and move on to something that does work.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

AFAIC, the ONLY thing better with this new set up is that if you go back a page in the store, you actually reach the previous page instead of the first one.

And sometimes there are even product names on the thumbnails.

Other than that?

Sigh.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 2012

The state of the site - and the shop, let me remind you, without end of sale timestamps on pages - after several months is just very much unprofessional state of things. None of the business places I'm visiting in internet on regular basic or worked for would tolerate such horrendous and pitiful state of their primary business outlet and the presence in the internet. How people supposed to take that company seriously if after half of the year even the most basic functionality isn't fixed back?

Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 2012

...Kattey, I've been saying this since the new site went live, over on Rendo when the forums here were still down, and here after they finally went live. I was warned not to pursue this matter further, I was told this was not ground to tread on, I even had posts deleted.

The company I work for wouldn't tolerate this kind of rubbish for more than a day not much less seven, going on eight, months. When this is the main source of revenue, and it doesn't perform even adequately, your customers lose and you lose. Maybe somebody thinks that offering the flagship app for free will attract enough new blood that losing the old guard customer base wouldn't matter. However as new customers also run into the same issues, they will begin to question things as well (I've already seen it).

It's kind of like here's our new store but some of the lights don't work, there's no heat, the roof leaks, our cash registers go down every time the power flickers or someone sneezes, that department is still under construction, and our sales staff knows nothing about the products we sell...

...but we're open for business so c'mon in.

@Ptrope, I have to agree, it seems the decision to go with Magento was not a very well thought out one. Again I have witnessed first hand, how such poor yet adamant decision making could sink a company. From others I have talked with in the IT profession, Magento was a very poor choice for upgrading this website.

When the majority of your long time customer base loses confidence in your company because of a questionable decision that has such a major impact, it should send up a red flag that maybe, just maybe this was not a good move.

The really sad thing is I am worried this decision (in spite of assurances) could come back to seriously hurt the company. Were it not for Daz I wouldn't be into 3D CG and for that matter into art as I had to give up drawing and painting due to severe arthritis. They offered me a way to become involved to get back into art while on a very limited budget. I hold no ill will towards Daz3D and care about their future which is why I have been so vocal about this issue.

edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Be careful Kyoto

Agreed. Glad my topic caught fire a bit. I know so many others out there in DAZ Land are experiencing similar issues. The old site might have been held together with tar and bubblegum but at least it was mature and worked for the most part. When this new site started up I was happy at first thinking the forum topic links would no longer take me to a page telling me the topic does not exist. And yet, from time to time I get that here. I SEEM to be subscribed to topics but I don't get notifications for them. Logon's here are a joke and yet DAZ doesn't seem to have anyone behind the scenes to clear up all this mess that's just going to continue to pile up. This is THEIR business that suffers. All I'm trying to say is "IT'S NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME" and hasn't been since day one and now at 8 months or more it's still a mess. Not at all understanding what they are doing in the background but it's not smart at all. It's no wonder so many merchants maintain accounts at other stores and many of them are selling mostly through those portals rather than deal with this mess. So so pathetic and sad. I love DAZ, the community and all that but sheesh.... :-(

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ... edit ...

I hold no ill will towards Daz3D and care about their future which is why I have been so vocal about this issue.

I think that's the bottom line for most of us who've spoken up in the forums. We all appreciate them and indeed, the loyalty of the customers here is awesome. Quite frankly I don't know of 'any' other store that could ride out so many issues and still have doors to open.
    We've mentioned issues because these things do indeed matter and we were hoping they'd be fixed. Obviously somethings are out of anybody's control as 3rd and 4th parties get involved .... however we all have our limits.

The clock spins around to the 31st ... so I'll bid everybody all the best the New Year. Cheers!

edited December 1969

By the way, another little treasure I've noticed happening ... and more than once ... is that products on our full order history list, some of those have gone awol too. Sometimes it's multiple purchases [you know, to get more than one license] getting packed down to 'one'. Sometimes the very old .... sometimes it's inexplicable. Like the base of the product goes awol, but the dependent item is still resettable.

If/when the store remembers what we've ordered, it's to be only the products ordered through the new store. Well, some of those orders have also gone poof, and I have never purchased anything through Paypal so these disappearances had absolutely nothing to do with the recent incidents via Paypal. Just more mysteries.

• ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
    edited December 1969

404 error when I click on my wishlist! :(

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

However as new customers also run into the same issues, they will begin to question things as well (I’ve already seen it).

The thing is though, new customers have significantly less loyalty and patience than people who have been around here for years.

• scal.64.psscal.64.ps Posts: 140
    edited December 1969

the store is up now, but why the fast grab items are only marked as 30% instead of 70 ??

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

Well, I THOUGHT the site was fixed... it was ... just long enough to take my money and not allow me to download any of the new stuff.

edited December 1969

I'm sure nobody has considered the fact that the old store was a security nightmare? No, that doesn't matter...that cobbled together PHP mess couldn't possibly be riskier than flashing a badge in the bad part of any city.

And then, how about maybe, possibly the reason some of the 'missing' features is because there was an active decision NOT to have them...like there was supposed to be a software solution that provided that functionality...but it hasn't happened yet? This one is more of a black mark than anything else.

Have any that are complaining about Magento actually gone to their site and looked at it? Read any of documentation? Magento is a good, solid, well liked store front package. It is very actively maintained and has a host of features, both on the customer side and 'office' side of things. It's not like it's some experimental thing thrown together in somebody's basement (oh, wait...that's why the change was made in the first place).

Why not complain about something that can make a difference...like the decision to not have popular features (looking at the Magento docs, they'd be pretty easy to add) when the software that was going to replace them wasn't available? Yeah, that was an active policy decision and one, that frankly, sucks...

And tonight's episode of the store going wonky has nothing to do with the normal, everyday problems some are having...it's an entirely different class of problem...and maybe even was intentional (for a while I was getting the 'Down for maintenance' page...so maybe it was down because they actually were DOING something with it...). And remember...Cloudflare has servers spread around the globe, so that increases the 'local' presence, but it also means that things like downtime aren't instantly resolved...it takes time for all those locations to sync back up with the 'live' pages...the same thing applies when it goes down for maintenance as when it comes back up...it's not instant.

Yes, it would be great if they would let us know things like planned down time (if that's what it was...because there's definitely something about the store that's different now...it's 'snappier'), but there's no law that says they have to...