Bryce for 64 bit Mountain Lion Mac OSX

ZiggetaiZiggetai Posts: 9
edited December 2012 in Bryce Discussion

Does anyone know whether Bryce will be available for Mac OSX Mountain Lion? I've been missing it dearly since I upgraded all my systems.
cheers,

Dreamlocks

I am terribly sorry to have upset people with my question and reply. I didn't mean to stir up trouble. And I guess I was reacting to the other graphics program company that I had to deal with this week who were refusing a refund and blaming apple for their incorrect system requirements specs. When you use a Mac either professionally or otherwise you have to expect some backlash from PC users. It happens all the time. To me the brand doesn't matter. The 64 bit mac I use is fast and efficient and that's good for my business. I have nothing against PC's per se.

In hindesight I realise I could have worded my response better. I'm sorry for upsetting folks. I hope you can accept my apology. I can't go back to a slower mac or pc because I can't justify running an older computer for one or two programs.

I'm a big fan of the work you guys do at DAZ and I'd really like to encourage you to continue developing your wonderful software.
All the best,

Dreamlocks

Post edited by Ziggetai on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Eventually, but that doesn't help much...your' best bet is to roll back to a version that Bryce worked with.

Yes, it really sucks, but blame Apple...they are the ones who decided to cut backwards compatibility.

• ZiggetaiZiggetai Posts: 9
    edited December 2012

Well, I work with a lot of graphics programs and only 2 I use so far have failed to upgrade along with Apple. Both of you have said that it's Apple's fault they couldn't keep up. Personally I'm very pleased with the new operating system so I'm not going to "blame" Apple. Surely it's the role of product developers who provide programs like Bryce to be forward-thinking. I didn't expect such a negative response from the Daz community. Oh well. There's other software on the market that will fill the gap Bryce has left. Thanks for your reply. It has given me an insight.
    Kind regards, and I hope you enjoy your old 32 bit PC.

I'd like to apologise for the above comments. I know I went too far and, without fully understanding the way things work at DAZ I simply attacked without thinking. I hope everyone can for give my rudeness and stupidity. It was not my intention to upset anyone or put down the wonderful work that everyone at DAZ does. Nor was it my intention to attack the great community here.

On another software developer's forum earlier in the day I'd been attacked for simply owning a Mac and had got nowhere trying to get a support question answered. The only reply I got was "blame Apple" and "do yourself a favour buy a pc". I'm sorry that I was not able to separate these two incidents. I hope my comments can be understood in that context.

Thank you for your replies. My questions have been answered.
    Dreamlocks.

Post edited by Ziggetai on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Well, I work with a lot of graphics programs and only 2 I use so far have failed to upgrade along with Apple.
    Well I use a lot of graphics applications too and I haven't found a single one that doesn't work on Snow Leopard.

Both of you have said that it's Apple's fault they couldn't keep up. Personally I'm very pleased with the new operating system so I'm not going to "blame" Apple.
    You being pleased with Lion has no relevance to who's fault it is.
    In fact the blame can be almost evenly proportioned between Daz and Apple.
    Apple's fault for not continuing to support older code and Daz's fault for not reacting to fix the problem (remembering that the last release of Bryce came out before Apple released Lion).

Surely it's the role of product developers who provide programs like Bryce to be forward-thinking.
    But not have the ability to read mind into the future.
    There was no clue that Apple's Lion Os would not be compatible wih Bryce's last release (Apple don't pre-release new OS's to developers so they can check these things).

I didn't expect such a negative response from the Daz community.

You haven't had a negative response from the Daz community. The response you got was that we are told "eventually".
    Then a suggestion as to how you could continue to use Bryce if you miss it as much as you were claiming.

Now the word from Daz is that when Bryce enters it's next Dev cycle, the priority is getting the Lion issue fixed. The problem with this is that at the moment, there is no word as to when that Dev cycle will be and we know that Daz has no Bryce developer on contract at the moment... So unless you want us to just make something up that you like the sound of, "eventually" will have to do.

Oh well. There's other software on the market that will fill the gap Bryce has left. Thanks for your reply. It has given me an insight.

There has always been other software that can do similar things to Bryce.
    My fully working copy of Bryce 7Pro does things exactly like Bryce... funny that.

Post some examples of your work and let's have a look how much betterer a new 64bit Mac makes it. :smirk:

While I'm waiting for that to happen, I'll continue to enjoy my 7 year old 32bit MacBook that I use to run a fully working copy of Bryce Pro7 on along with Adobe Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator CS5.1.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Dreamlocks,

If Bryce received regular updates then by now, nearly 2 years after the release of Lion, we'd have a working version for Mac. The initial fault is with Apple, they decided to scrap backward compatibility. Chances are they had reason for this, and they had every right to do so. The problem comes in with Daz3d only having Bryce dev cycles every 3 years or so. The timing of it all is just so bad. Mac users have every right to be pissed.

If it seems the community is a bit allergic to questions about Lion its due to the antibodies we've developed over the past two years of Mac users being rightly pissed off that Bryce no longer works for them. The "eventually" answer is the least favorable response, but it seems to be the only one we have gotten from Daz on this issue.

In the meantime, there are a few workarounds for those Mac users who really want to use Bryce. I am personally getting annoyed with the lack of Bryce development, its been long enough that we really should be hearing something. But lets be real. Before Bryce will be developed several things need to happen (My Opinion ONLY)

1. Genesis needs to be made to operate fully in Carrara
    2. All the quirks need to be worked out with the DSON importer.
    3. Carrara 8.5 or 9 whichever it will be will need to be released.
    4. DS 5 will need to be released, with the newest bells and whistles.

Maybe then...after all the other stuff is done....maybe Daz will get around to developing Bryce again. First on Daz's list is always going to be Daz Studio. After that Carrara is the next priority, and way down the road from there we find the Bryce and Hexagon priority.

It is for this reason that Savage cant give a better answer, because at this point we cannot even be certain there ever will be another dev cycle for Bryce.

The frustration you sense is with the situation, not the people involved if that makes any sense.

At this point as a community we are trying to stay positive, and not to dwell any more than necessary on the uncertainty of it all. We all love Bryce, ans we all want to see it survive into the future. But none of us has the power to make it happen. Thus...our current highly frustrating situation.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

There is no benefit to running any version of Bryce, that's currently out, on a 64 bit machine...it is stuck in 32 bit land, so what difference does it make, really, that it can't run on the latest Apple has to offer.

And that's probably the biggest hurdle when dealing with a future version...converting it to a 64 bit program...for both Apple and Windows platforms (I can assume that my platform of choice will yet again be left in the cold...but you don't see me getting all pissy like many Apple-fanatics do...).

• dyretdyret Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

Coming from Windows 7 and liking it a lot, I was NEVER able to get used to Lion. I really wonder why certain things are done the opposite way in it. And since upgrading it destroyed a lot of the presets I made in Logic I'm now strongly considering buying another copy of Windows 7 and make my 2 year old MacBook Pro a Windows machine. :lol:

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Well, I work with a lot of graphics programs and only 2 I use so far have failed to upgrade along with Apple. Both of you have said that it's Apple's fault they couldn't keep up. Personally I'm very pleased with the new operating system so I'm not going to "blame" Apple. Surely it's the role of product developers who provide programs like Bryce to be forward-thinking. I didn't expect such a negative response from the Daz community. Oh well. There's other software on the market that will fill the gap Bryce has left. Thanks for your reply. It has given me an insight.

Wow if you thought the response you got was negative I'd hate to see what you would think of an actual negative response. Sounds like, and this is just my opinion based on your limited yet poignant contribution to the "community", seems that anything that isn't exactly what you want is a negative response.

Oh and while your spiffy new 64 Bit Mac may seem so much nicer then the old 32 bit PC at least the PC can still use the latest OS for PC's without being forced into a hardware upgrade like you were. It's no wonder it all seems so nice to you, of course being all brand new and the latest, I'd sure hope it would seem nice. Hopefully Apple won't keep forcing you to have to keep buying new hardware to take advantage of the newest OS like they've been doing?

Oh and one last thing, how do you know it's a 32 bit PC? Unlike Apple, Microsoft's latest OS's let you have a 64 bit system and still be able to run Bryce 7 Pro. So for all you know rather then it being an old 32 bit PC it might be a brand new 64 bit PC. Mac's are the only thing that you have to go back to an older 32 bit machine to run Bryce 7, but sure blame it on Daz.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

This thread is being locked because it is just going the same way as all previous threads about this issue and degenerating into an app war.

This discussion has been closed.