Joequick's Sketchbook

Comments

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

DOG WILL HUNT!!!

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,697
    edited December 1969

I've started posting my works in progress on tumblr now: http://josephquick.tumblr.com/

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Following you there. I wouldn't recommend following me there though Joe. I collect and "like" pictures that might make your eyes bleed! lmao!

edited December 2012

Let's see here, so the turtles were finished up for xmas and shared as a part of the daz pa xmas giveaway. They've since moved on to their permanent home over at sharecg. Here are five of my personal favorite renders done with them in the run up to their release.

I learned quite a bit, particularly from doing the texture work on them. I think you can see some of the dividends from that in some of my other ongoing projects which I'm going to preview below.

tvzp4web.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 381K
    turtlesvsfoot_painterly.jpg
    1400 x 800 - 1M
    SnowyRooftops650.jpg
    500 x 650 - 110K
    rooftop_post2.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 729K
    familyphoto3.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 355K
    Post edited by JoeQuick on
    edited December 1969

In the background of one of the renders, you can see some downed urban ninjas. those are also genesis. these are some solo shots of that outfit.

ninja3_(2).jpg
    500 x 650 - 135K
    ninja1_(2).jpg
    500 x 650 - 66K
    ninjamisc3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 126K
    ninjamisc2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 132K
    ninjamisc1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 136K
    edited December 2012

In another of the turtle renders, you can see a rat that I've been working on. For the render it was dressed up as Splinter. Hal has been trying to throw together a tail for it (anything that requires actual technical know-how, I tend to give up on quickly and throw his way). Though I might try my hand on it again pretty soon. Here are some zbrush renders from when I was working on the textures.

texturedrat2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 230K
    texturedrat3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 100K
    texturedrat.jpg
    800 x 600 - 106K
    edited December 1969

Here are some posed renders of the tail less rat. Beyond the inevitable tail, he also has a vandyke, some bushy eyebrows, whiskers, and some neck scruff (the neck scruff is visible in the turtle xmas family photo render).

pajamaratnodof.jpg
    500 x 650 - 255K
    nothersplinter.jpg
    500 x 650 - 271K
    forestratdof.jpg
    500 x 650 - 171K
    edited December 1969

An imposing stone figure. I'd done the body shape a while ago and called it "tank". I'm looking for ways to make it relevant in a world that already has multiple freak shapes for genesis, swole and mr. hyde.

mrslate1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 114K
    mrslate3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 117K
    mrslate2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 207K
    mrslate4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 212K
    GodOfStone.jpg
    615 x 615 - 102K
    edited December 2012

This is a bat which will be marketed as an add on for Hal's ancient vampire for genesis (it'll use the same wings). I was very excited about it for a stretch, but couldn't figure out how I wanted to texture it. I've finally got an idea. It's going to be a very disturbing looking critter.

tumblr_me4on35Sis1rjlr2do1_1280.jpg
    800 x 600 - 137K
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Sweeeeeeeet Joe. I do want to thank you again for giving out the turtle. All these pictures bring back memories of me and my son sitting down and watching his favorite cartoon when he was a wee bit of a thing. Thanks for doing that.

edited December 1969

I think my Toon Duckie is almost ready for release.

Popup2.jpg
    615 x 800 - 197K
    Popup3.jpg
    615 x 800 - 260K
    popup5.jpg
    600 x 780 - 259K
    popup6.jpg
    615 x 800 - 155K
    Main.jpg
    615 x 800 - 239K
    edited December 1969

Rhino here is still very much a work in progress.

rhino4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 188K
    rhino3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 295K
    rhino2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 249K
    rhino1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 208K
    edited December 2012

And then the strangest creation of all... basically the costume I wear to work every day.

P.S. I've already made the shirt and sweater less form fitting in the waist so that it comes across a bit more unisex and a bit less ladies.

outfitgeo.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 97K
    outfitlayers.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 130K
    outfitturns.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 99K
    outfitdetail.jpg
    800 x 600 - 158K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

DANG dude. You just go and go and go. I like your Tank figure morph. Reminds me ALLOT of BLOK from the Legion of Super Heroes.

The toon duckies are for Gen 4 kids or Genesis??

It all looks just great! :-)

edited December 2012

RAMWolff said:
    DANG dude. You just go and go and go. I like your Tank figure morph. Reminds me ALLOT of BLOK from the Legion of Super Heroes.

The toon duckies are for Gen 4 kids or Genesis??

It all looks just great! :-)

The Toon Duckies are for Genesis, and they've been pretty thoroughly tested for DSON poser compatibility.

On a side note. Poser has TWO "chicken" subsurface scatter options. Who knew.

Tank originally just looked like the images below. The "God of Stone" or "Mr. Slate" above is Tank with an alternate head shape and some rocky textures. Not really sure what I'm going to wind up doing with him.

The overall proportions might actually mix nicely with the Rhino.

tankz.jpg
    800 x 600 - 168K
    TankTake2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 221K
    tank1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 98K
    edited December 1969

Cap and shoes to round out the look. Will probably add partial socks to the shoes.

shoes.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 109K
    drivercap.jpg
    600 x 800 - 165K
  • edited December 1969

I'd buy your everyday outfit, and the ninja suit too. What happened to your stuff at Rendo? I had gotten the Extra Ordinary Men morphs some months back and they make great additions to the Genesis gene pool when you transfer them through Gen X. I decided to give the Nose Brigade and the Extra Ordinary Women a second look and nothing was there.

edited December 2012

I'd buy your everyday outfit, and the ninja suit too. What happened to your stuff at Rendo? I had gotten the Extra Ordinary Men morphs some months back and they make great additions to the Genesis gene pool when you transfer them through Gen X. I decided to give the Nose Brigade and the Extra Ordinary Women a second look and nothing was there.

Any questions about my Rendo store would probably best be directed at StaceyG over there. It was her decision to close my store, so she is likely best equipped to explain her rationale. I'm hesitant to say any more.

If you are interested in any of my old Rendo items I'd be happy to sell them to you for 50% of their former list price. Send me a pm of what you want including your paypal email address, I'll send you an invoice. Upon payment I'll provide you a link to the products.

Had my store stayed open, I likely would have cleaned The Nose Brigade out of it. It was my first product and after four or five years just didn't represent my current ability level. So if you want the ExGirls, I'll throw in The Nose Brigade for free.

edited December 2012

I'm thinking that I'll go back and remodel the shirtsleeve cuffs so that they're open and pop out a little bit more naturally from under the sweater and jacket sleeves.

test3.jpg
    769 x 1000 - 150K
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,221
    edited December 1969

Joequick said:
    And then the strangest creation of all... basically the costume I wear to work every day.

P.S. I've already made the shirt and sweater less form fitting in the waist so that it comes across a bit more unisex and a bit less ladies.

that looks really good

my only suggestion would be to add more realistic, structured detail to the collar of the shirt like the collar band and the button side placket coming out a bit farther than the collar

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

Joe Happy New Year!

I was wondering if you had any hand grip poses for the turtles that you could release sometime.

Thank you Joe for being so awesome!

• CathyMCathyM Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

Hi Joequick! Just wanted to say thanks so much for the turtles for Christmas! What a generous and fantastic gift! And, really love seeing your work as you progress - hope you will be adding your clothing to your store - it looks wonderful, especially the costume you wear to work, very realistic! :-) Love the rhinoman, that bat face and the stone golum guy as well - Wishing you the best for this new year -Cathy

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

Joequick said:

I'm quite impressed with how far you can push the morphs for Genesis and not have the whole thing come apart. Excellent work!

My kids had gotten some Skylanders toys for the holidays, and I saw this one among their hoard. It made me wonder if I could so a close approximation using your sets. Something I'll look into I guess when the Toon Duck comes out... :)

edited December 1969

SmallFry said:
    Joequick said:

I'm quite impressed with how far you can push the morphs for Genesis and not have the whole thing come apart. Excellent work!

My kids had gotten some Skylanders toys for the holidays, and I saw this one among their hoard. It made me wonder if I could so a close approximation using your sets. Something I'll look into I guess when the Toon Duck comes out... :)

There's an eagle beak shape mixed in with the package. The feet would be floppy and not claw like. You would have to retexture the hands to be yellow, and set the sclera color that way. The Feather crest/mane would need to be modeled seperately or morphed with deformers. The armor would probably need to be custom made. I don't know how well autofit would do fitting existing armor sets to the morph.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Joe, I've been meaning to ask...how many polys are in just the shirt?

I'm working on a collared shirt, too and have been having problems with the collar. I noticed in the one pic, that you didn't have smooth shaded, that it seems to be a pretty high density area...so I'm thinking that I may not have anywhere near enough to do what I want with the collar...which is a lot like what you've got pictured.

edited January 2013

mjc1016 said:

I'm working on a collared shirt, too and have been having problems with the collar. I noticed in the one pic, that you didn't have smooth shaded, that it seems to be a pretty high density area...so I'm thinking that I may not have anywhere near enough to do what I want with the collar...which is a lot like what you've got pictured.

The shirt that I've been rendering has 14554 faces. I'm replacing it with a new one that has 17714 faces. The first two images show what the topology for both look like overall. The third image is a close up of the new shirts collar. The fourth is a render of the pants, new shirt, sweater and jacket all layered.

test4web.jpg
    769 x 1000 - 208K
    collarcloseup.jpg
    800 x 600 - 233K
    newshirt.jpg
    800 x 600 - 154K
    oldshirt.jpg
    800 x 600 - 166K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Joequick said:
    The shirt that I've been rendering has 14554 faces. I'm replacing it with a new one that has 17714 faces. The first two images show what the topology for both look like overall. The third image is a close up of the new shirts collar. The fourth is a render of the pants, new shirt, sweater and jacket all layered.

Yep...that's it...you've got about twice the number of faces in the collar as I've been working with...it helps a lot.

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

Joequick said:
    SmallFry said:
    Joequick said:

There's an eagle beak shape mixed in with the package. The feet would be floppy and not claw like. You would have to retexture the hands to be yellow, and set the sclera color that way. The Feather crest/mane would need to be modeled seperately or morphed with deformers. The armor would probably need to be custom made. I don't know how well autofit would do fitting existing armor sets to the morph.

I was thinking of the figure as more of an inspiration for something in DS. I was trying to figure out what might offer that squat and dwarfish build along with the muscle tone. Just some of the things I idled my time away with while we were at my in-laws...

Any word on the urban ninja set? I think it's generic enough that it could be offered for sale here at DAZ (something you probably couldn't have done with the TMNT set). It would certainly offer some opponents for the Urban Paladin and for many of the other character and clothing sets available here. I'd be happy to offer my services as a beta-tester in case you need another set of eyes. :)

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited December 1969

Joequick said:
    mjc1016 said:

This looks great!! Think it needs more polys around the nipple area for females other wise the breasts will be blocky. But if its just for men its all good.

edited January 2013

Zev0 said:
    Joequick said:
    mjc1016 said:

This looks great!! Think it needs more polys around the nipple area for females other wise the breasts will be blocky. But if its just for men its all good.

These were both autofits, no smoothing, no subdivision. There's more than enough topology there to handle "normal" women. The Girl maybe not so much.

v5b.jpg
    500 x 650 - 138K
    v5.jpg
    500 x 650 - 107K