Smart Content has VANISHED! Is GONE! (help...)

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I need to figure this out...

I opened up DS about a week and a half ago, and my smart content has vanished! I mean GONE! I mean no folders or files. Sometimes, folders but no files. Never any files! What must I do to track down the problem?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Step 1...make sure that the CMS is running.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

That would be he Content DB Editor and the Content Library Pane, correct? Both show working properly.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I think mjc was refering CMS showing in the Task Manager Ctrl+Alt+Delete under Processes

and here is how you can stop and start CMS from the Windows Start menu

CMSStart.jpg
    630 x 1011 - 359K
  • MKeyesMKeyes Posts: 466
    edited December 1969

I've done this several times... and mine is STILL gone. I can get to the content the OLD way... but the smart content is gone! For good it seems.

I have gone thru the task manager, Services and down to Daz Studio and retarted it. Opened Daz Studio NO Smart Content. I have gone thru the method given above, from the start menu, programs, Daz Studio - CMS and hit the start there.

NO smart content.

So after doing all of that, and it still is not there, how do you get it started?

edited December 1969

okay, cool... Thanks! That was the issue.

Now, I have another problem. Certain catagorized files have been replaced with other files... which is hugely weird.

Not sure what happened there, but the files were scene files that I'd categorized and have been replaced with files that no longer exist... how do I get rid of those icons that shouldn't' be there?

edited December 1969

You could try some drastic measures like resetting the database and reimporting the metadata but you will lose any categories you may have set up in the Content Library.

I am only guessing as to this day I have never had any issues with Smart Content at all.

Also you have to think has anything changed on your computers at the time this happened. Did you install something new, windows update or have you messed about with Daz Studio that may have caused this or is your Antivirus to blame.

ResetDatabaseNew1_copy2.jpg
    285 x 265 - 92K
    ResetDatabaseNew1_copy.jpg
    285 x 265 - 91K
    DB_main.jpg
    583 x 1014 - 314K
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    okay, cool... Thanks! That was the issue.

Now, I have another problem. Certain catagorized files have been replaced with other files... which is hugely weird.

Not sure what happened there, but the files were scene files that I'd categorized and have been replaced with files that no longer exist... how do I get rid of those icons that shouldn't' be there?

try this http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14113/
    edited December 1969

pretty sure Microsoft Security Essentials hasn't mucked with me in DS... though I could be wrong, I've never heard of MSE and DS having problems.

I've installed a few things around the time I started noticing anomalies... so tracking that down will be tedious at best...

I did, a while back, add some default categories to my text file, but that didn't cause any issues when I did it or for a while after. I'll go ahead and do the re-import Metadata...

edited December 1969

Yes Microsoft Security Essentials and Daz Studio do play nice as I have it.

I don't install a lot of propgrams as I like to keep things at a minimum...something I learnt many years ago...I think this is one of the reasons why I don't get issues like others do. Plus I keep all my drivers up to date and not via Windows Update. I don't mess with things and things then don't mess with me. :)

edited December 1969

Heh... I did the re-install metadata... and SHAZAM: CRRRRAAAAASH....

Oh well... I guess I can live without the CMS...

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    You could try some drastic measures like resetting the database and reimporting the metadata but you will lose any categories you may have set up in the Content Library.

I am only guessing as to this day I have never had any issues with Smart Content at all.

Also you have to think has anything changed on your computers at the time this happened. Did you install something new, windows update or have you messed about with Daz Studio that may have caused this or is your Antivirus to blame.

Sorry... forgot to include this... have done this as well, each time... still no Smart Content. I have been dealing with this for months and months and have asked for help with it, but still as of yet, is there a fix for it. I sure miss it, because it's a brilliant attribute or function and it works beautifully.... well, when it works.

edited December 1969

Ok has anyone suggested uninstalling CMS via the Uninstaller, just CMS, restart computer and then reinstall DS4.5. As I know that updating Daz Studio at defualt leaves the old CMS in tact.

edited December 1969

doing that now... also just uninstalled and re-installed Hexagon trying to fix a problem... which is unfixed after that :( durnit... I'll let you know what happens.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Ok has anyone suggested uninstalling CMS via the Uninstaller, just CMS, restart computer and then reinstall DS4.5. As I know that updating Daz Studio at defualt leaves the old CMS in tact.

Nope, did not work :(

I tried to categorize a file, and there are no categories. I have the thing running, but nada... weird

• KinnieMKinnieM Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

Try turning off the CMS (in start menu) and then un-hiding files so that you can see ProgramData under your C drive. Go into that folder and under DAZ3D you will find a folder for the CMS. Go into that folder and delete the database files. Turn on the CMS again through the Startup menu and when you go into Daz it will have been reset. Unfortunately you will lose any folder setup you had but it should help to restart it. I have to do this at least every 1-2 months as it appears not like updates to my system.

Hope this helps someone to get it working.

edited December 1969

KinnieM said:
    Try turning off the CMS (in start menu) and then un-hiding files so that you can see ProgramData under your C drive. Go into that folder and under DAZ3D you will find a folder for the CMS. Go into that folder and delete the database files. Turn on the CMS again through the Startup menu and when you go into Daz it will have been reset. Unfortunately you will lose any folder setup you had but it should help to restart it. I have to do this at least every 1-2 months as it appears not like updates to my system.

Hope this helps someone to get it working.

How do you go in and "unhide" the files... and where do you go in after that to delete the database files? Need specifics please?

edited December 1969

Computer education time.....You need to go to the Windows Folder Options...easiest way to get there is open Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options (see image below)

As for what to do next see this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8028/#105548

ShowHidden.jpg
    996 x 745 - 455K
    edited December 1969

Sorry Mercedesk, I should have been more specific but I was tired as it was after midnight my time.

Thanks Szark for the link to the info.

edited December 1969

My pleasure KinnieM

edited December 1969

KinnieM said:
    Sorry Mercedesk, I should have been more specific but I was tired as it was after midnight my time.

Thanks Szark for the link to the info.

I totally understand! Thank you... maybe, this might do it... might!

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Computer education time.....You need to go to the Windows Folder Options...easiest way to get there is open Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options (see image below)

As for what to do next see this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8028/#105548

Going to give it a go now!

edited December 1969

Mercedesk said:

Going to give it a go now!

Hope it works! It's a great feature of Daz when it does actually work, lol.

edited December 1969

Okay... wow, According to cridgit this is where I should see the files:
    C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Services\databases

Now, that might be a hidden folder, but I can't figure out where the tools are to see hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer...

I'm using Windows 7, and there is no tools pulldown :(

edited December 1969

wancow said:

Now, that might be a hidden folder, but I can't figure out where the tools are to see hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer...

It's right above in the row of menus across the top of that area.

However, I've done that... I can't find the databases - and I've gone to the other link above, but as I'm looking at it, I'm not certain where to delete the databases since I can't find it.

edited December 1969

Mercedesk said:
    wancow said:

It's right above in the row of menus across the top of that area.

However, I've done that... I can't find the databases - and I've gone to the other link above, but as I'm looking at it, I'm not certain where to delete the databases since I can't find it.

Okay... found it in the My Documents section and so far, what's going into the Recycle Bin is over 9.6 GB... yeah, REAL scary!!!

edited December 1969

Up to 10GB now... this is REEEEALLY scaring me. Please lord, don't let me be wiping out my entire content library...

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 2012

wancow said:

I'm using Widows 7 and mine is in ProgramData, not ProgramFiles.
    C:\ProgramData\DAZ 3D\Content Management Services\databases

ETA: And my database files are only a few hundred KB up to 16 MB, not gigabytes.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 1969

Un oh... something tells me I have major messed up. I just deleted all contents of the database and it added up to 12.5 GB

edited December 1969

Well, I went to windows help and turned on show hidden files and folders, and I can't find the database anywhere. :(

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    wancow said:

I'm using Widows 7 and mine is in ProgramData, not ProgramFiles.
    C:\ProgramData\DAZ 3D\Content Management Services\databases

ETA: And my database files are only a few hundred KB up to 16 MB, not gigabytes.

Okay, that's interesting... I don't have a Program Data folder.