Pimp My Prop Now in Store [Commercial}

Comments

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

I've been after something like this for ages! So glad that you're working on this, Marieah. :-)

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    I've always wanted to use the top of the tower from Dragon Island for some ideas with figures coming out of the door onto the battlements, but every time I've tried, the low-rez stone texture is just soooo aweful when viewed up close, I give up. Hopefully with this, that tower will become usable for closeups.

Do you mean this one? I was in need of a fresh prop to practice on. One shows the original textures, and the other is "Renovated". I leave you to guess which is which.

Thanks Shaaelia! It's really amazing how often the obvious gets overlooked, with so much content out there and vendors struggling for product ideas.

dragon1.jpg
    700 x 905 - 554K
    dragonorig.jpg
    700 x 905 - 603K
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 2012

Marieah said:
    cwichura said:
    I've always wanted to use the top of the tower from Dragon Island

Do you mean this one? I was in need of a fresh prop to practice on. One shows the original textures, and the other is "Renovated". I leave you to guess which is which.
    Yes, that one. Yours looks great. :) Your render is actually still fairly far away compared to having the camera right up there on the battlements. That would really put the included textures to shame. They're fine for the far away shots like are seen in the promos for Dragon Island, but unusable close up...

This shader set will absolutely be a must-buy when released. I use several of your other shader sets quite a lot, too (primarily Silk Essence and Lace Maker); I've worked out how to best optimize them for use in LuxRender (which I do all my renders with -- I don't use 3Delight) over time, and I expect this new set will be fairly straight forward to adapt as well.

Post edited by cwichura on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...oh my, what I could do to Stonemason's "Big City" with this.

~GASP~ That would be the perfect environment to try these out on. Glad you thought of it. :-)
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Any textures for creating Pueblo style housing and/or Spanish missions?

San_Pedro_de_Atacama_church.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 509K
    usnm43790.jpeg
    576 x 387 - 65K
    edited December 1969

cwichura I'm glad you like it, These textures look even better close up because you get all the detail that the high resolution delivers.

ZamuelNow, I think you will find some textures suitable for what you need,

Here's a render of The Barn with its original and Renovate textures side by side. The original textures were nice, but very bland. The new ones add interest and drama to The Barn I think. You can also see some Shader Mixer grass I'm including. There's Astro turf as well.

The other render shows some of a heap of marble textures I've just added. We all own a big pile of monumental architecture, much of it puchased for $1.99 so providing an appropriate way of livening it up seemed well worth doing.

marble1.jpg
    700 x 905 - 619K
    barn1.jpg
    700 x 905 - 576K
  • zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

You may need to check the mapping... I don't know how much he already tiles in that set, which might limit flexibility a bit.

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

You may need to check the mapping... I don't know how much he already tiles in that set, which might limit flexibility a bit.

If sets are mapped instead of tiled, you can sometimes lose some of the map-painted detail, such as in my first courtyard renders. But this doesn't necessarily matter. What does matter is if the original maker has added lots of unrelated zones to a main zone called, for example, "Roof". When you apply the shaders you'll end up with roof tiles, not just on the roof, but in all sorts of other places as well. This can be fixed by reassigning the mat zones fairly easily in DS.

Other sets, such as Storm Castle, are all tiled, so that works really well.

I haven't tried a Stonemason set yet. I guess I should.

Meanwhile, here's some fun with the Witch House. The original has the grey shingle roof. The original textures are excellent so this is more a restyling than a bid for better resolution.

witch2.jpg
    700 x 905 - 860K
    witch1.jpg
    700 x 905 - 752K
  • zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Love it!

What I meant about tiled textures was that sometimes the items are uvmapped to use a single tile image, not using tiled textures in the Surfaces pane. This can interfere with substituting different tiles.

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    Love it!

What I meant about tiled textures was that sometimes the items are uvmapped to use a single tile image, not using tiled textures in the Surfaces pane. This can interfere with substituting different tiles.

I see what you mean. Sets like that would be an issue alright. I haven't come across any yet in my journey through my props library and I hope I don't.

I'm also including a few different bar and grill sets...(no, not the places where you drink alcohol and eat lol) but textures that will let you make windows into cell windows and buildings into cages if you feel like it. Here's an example where I made the top of the Fantasy Castle into a scary cage for a hapless M5. Not the copper roofing tiles also...

Fantasy-Cage.jpg
    700 x 905 - 438K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...that's really cool. Will there also be an oxidised and weathered copper?

edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    zigraphix said:
    Love it!

I see what you mean. Sets like that would be an issue alright. I haven't come across any yet in my journey through my props library and I hope I don't.

I'm also including a few different bar and grill sets...(no, not the places where you drink alcohol and eat lol) but textures that will let you make windows into cell windows and buildings into cages if you feel like it. Here's an example where I made the top of the Fantasy Castle into a scary cage for a hapless M5. Not the copper roofing tiles also...

There isn't at the moment, but I agree that there needs to be as the emphasis in this set is on the worn and the grungy. This is because it's what I've noticed people asking for most over the years. Such surfaces can be really difficult to tile because their hallmark is their irregularity. There will be some textures here that will work better over smaller areas. I think that's a better option than deleting them.

Now I'd better find a filter or a brush somewhere to grunge up that lovely copper...

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 2012

Instead of grunging the textures directly, what about a few grunge overlays that can be applied to any material? So you have the option of clean or dirty in different areas? That way it won't look so tiled as well and will add more variety. Just a thought.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

I wonder if adding in a few LIE patches would be a way to allow irregularities by allowing users to add them themselves. For some textures this won't work but it may be good for others.

edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    I wonder if adding in a few LIE patches would be a way to allow irregularities by allowing users to add them themselves. For some textures this won't work but it may be good for others.

That is what I was hinting at:)

edited December 1969

*glances at post timing*

Huh. I guess great minds think alike and all that...

edited December 1969

LOL agreed:)

• cipher_Xcipher_X Posts: 121
    edited December 1969

Wow these look wonderful...I am guessing these will only be available for DS4.5 and not work with DS3? :down:

edited December 1969

The LIE tiles overlays automatically with the diffuse map.One would need to be computer programmer to prevent this - which I'm not.

That being the case, you can always use the Hybrid Grunge Bundle shader overlays to grunge things up. It works, but it does tile with the textures so looks better at some times than at others. I'm including quick tiling presents all the way from 1 to 20. You'll need to use these pretty much every time you use this product because it will tile differently on different models. The lower the tiling, the better the grunge shaders will overlay.

If Shader Mixer showed a proper tiled preveiw instead of a white one, it could be done there. But the "white til render" thing is a deal breaker and would quickly suck all the fun out of experimenting with multiple tiled presets.

Most of these will already be either worn or grungy, because I see that as the premium product.

edited December 1969

cipher_X said:
    Wow these look wonderful...I am guessing these will only be available for DS4.5 and not work with DS3? :down:

Correct. DS 4.5 won't save .dsa files.

• cipher_Xcipher_X Posts: 121
    edited December 1969

Thanks Marieah

That's a bummer, as there are not enough plugins that I use regularly which have been updated for DS4.5. I'll just have to wishlist when you release them. They are great! :-)

edited December 1969

cipher_X said:
    Thanks Marieah

That's a bummer, as there are not enough plugins that I use regularly which have been updated for DS4.5. I'll just have to wishlist when you release them. They are great! :-)

You could always run both versions. Many people do so successfully, even if it's not recommended. Then you could use DS3 when you needed a plugin and DS4 when you wanted shaders...

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 1969

OH Crap!! I just found this thread .... Marieah you are doing it again ,createing something I'm gonna have to buy ........ugh!! a pox on you ,you overly creative goddess!!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    cipher_X said:

DS4.5 can save .dsa files -- they're under Save As>Deprecated

edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    cipher_X said:

DS4.5 can save .dsa files -- they're under Save As>Deprecated

Wow. I never knew that. Thanks. I'd be saving everything as .dsa had I realized.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...neither did I. That is a big help.

edited December 1969

The product is now uploaded. There are 115 shader presets.

I've renamed it. "Pimp My Prop" lol

Here's a few images...

Popup7.jpg
    700 x 910 - 474K
    Popup3.jpg
    700 x 910 - 439K
    Popup5.jpg
    700 x 905 - 587K
    Popup2.jpg
    700 x 905 - 633K
    Main.jpg
    700 x 910 - 681K
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

looks amazing! :) Can I ask a silly question? Where is it uploaded to? Daz testing?

edited December 1969

It's uploaded to an area PAs can access where Daz can take a look and decide whether they want it in the store or not. If they want it, it then gets passed on to QA or testiing.

I'm very happy you like it. I just hope Daz does too...

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

I like the idea at all very much. But some little thigs disturbed me ...

Like in the Fabricator the new texture will be placed on the whole shape of the model as tiled texture, but it doesn't follow the texture templates mapps like they are created with the UV mapping tools.

What I mean can you see on some pictures of the roof from Storm Castle. The textures doesn't look seamless at the edges.

storm4.jpg
    387 x 500 - 172K