Cromer Pier - Re-Issued

skipper25skipper25 Posts: 0
edited August 2012 in Freebies

Re-issued at http://www.ShareCG.com/v/64300/view/5/3D-Model/Cromer-Pier

This is my model of Cromer Pier as it was first issued and still exists on my hard drive. It is pretty accurate and the only moving part is the water level, by which the user may bring the tide in or out.
There is very little that I wish to change here - perhaps a door or two opening - but I do want to add a handful of stalls selling rock, candyfloss, wind shelters, deckchairs, the famous Cromer crabs, icecream and whatever else I have the urge and time to produce. Perhaps a Punch and Judy show - who knows? These will be in the locations indicated.
During original development, the most fascinating thing for me was the sea. Not only did I want to bring the tide in and out, but I also wanted to give the user the option of adjusting wave size and the amount of foam. Well, I managed it - but only for D|S. The gentleman who at that time professed to be a Poser expert and who had converted previous models of mine reported that it was impossible to adapt my method. Since I had absolutely no knowledge of Poser, it was left undone. Now however, I know a lot more and wish to have another try. There is little doubt that it will take time.
I also have an idea for animating the waves and wish to try that too. It should look very nice if I can manage it. Add a sound file (as in my Big Ben model) and the result could be memorable.
Watch this space. If you have any other ideas, now is the time to shout.

Post edited by skipper25 on

Comments

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Looking good. :-)

When I lived in Norwich many years ago, I used to drive to Cromer at weekends and go on the pier, so I shall definately want to have this model when finished.

• skipper25skipper25 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Glad you like it. Do you have any photographs that you would like to share with us?

edited December 1969

Most of my pictures of Cromer Pier are slides I'm afraid and they are stored somewhere safe in the loft. So safe I can't find them!!!!:lol:

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

Lovely, did a cycle tour round Norfolk donkeys years ago, didn't make Cromer tho, only got as far as Sheringham.

• CherokeeCherokee Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

Well Skipper, since you asked....LOL.

You might consider redoing the road. It's not exactly straight.. That would add more character to the shortline.

CP.jpg
    600 x 522 - 69K
  • Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Look forward to it :)

edited December 1969

Cherokee said:

You might consider redoing the road. It's not exactly straight.. That would add more character to the shortline.

Thanks Cherokee - yes, you're right. How're you doing?

edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    Cherokee said:

Thanks Cherokee - yes, you're right. How're you doing?

Been doing good, just working a real life job way too much lately. Oh, by the way, I have been keeping up with your work. I just haven't been saying too much lately. You doing great. Keep it up.

edited December 1969

Good. Done the road - pic later.

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    If you have any other ideas, now is the time to shout.

In no particular order ...

Sharks

U-boats

Pamela Anderson in her Baywatch outfit

Houdini jumping off the end in chains

edited June 2012

LOL. I like it. I rather fancy that members will be queuing up to add the Pam Anderson bit.
    I've done the road - see below - and while I was at it, I added some steps down to the beach. I can't quite make it out from the pic that Cherokee provided, but I THINK that there are steps there. If there isn't, there jolly well should be, so I've bunged them in.

Image1.jpg
    684 x 482 - 41K
    edited December 1969

Skipper, I'd had a look earlier at the pier on Google Earth, but the resolution diminishes close up. Cherokee's image is about as crisp as it gets.

However, Google Maps has many photos that various people have posted:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=52.932655,1.300721&spn=0.002141,0.006196&t=h&z=18

You can pull the little orange StreetView man onto the image and move him around to see more photos than those highlighted, placing him on top of the blue dots that appear, indicating photo locations. StreetView itself doesn't seem to get you close to the pier so you can move around.

Cromer04.JPG
    800 x 585 - 164K
    Cromer02.JPG
    800 x 598 - 189K
    Cromer01.JPG
    800 x 522 - 119K
    edited December 1969

Looking for staircase access to the beach, it seemed at first it was a giant zigzag job, but there are quaint little steps too.

Cromer05.JPG
    800 x 511 - 148K
    Cromer03.JPG
    800 x 445 - 110K
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot, Dorsey. There is a lot of info there.
    Photo 1 - the handrail stanchions gave me a lot of thought. They are shaped and would require a trans mapping, which would be heavy on resources and since there are hundreds of them, would slow rendering. They also make me feel a bit queezy, leaning out like that, so in the end I manufactured a straight turned post. I think that I will leave them like that.
    Photo 2 - The photo of the entrance is excellent and I think that what I have done will please you. The only point worth mentioning is that each of the lower steps has its own individual profile and surface pattern. This would require a separate texture file and trans map for each. Again, it is possible, but heavy on resources. Since I have already had one comment that my Buckingham Palace is a bit heavy on resources, I will stick to a simplified set of straight steps.
    Photo 3 - Brilliant. I have thought long and hard about doing a lifeboat. One idea that I had was to have the large doors openable so that one could see the bow. Another was that I could model a complete lifeboat, but we founder on the same snag. To do a lifeboat real justice, it ought to be modelled in its own right and offered as a stand-alone. This I plan to do, but it will be some time in the future.
    Photo 4 - I had not seen the zig-zag steps before. Clearly, they come about because there is an upper road and a lower road. It makes the landward end very attractive indeed and I am tempted to include some of this detail. One could not model the houses (you have to draw the line somewhere) but the gardens and flowerbeds will be under the control of the Council and - yes - I must do something.
    Photo 5 - As far as I may judge, the semi-circular abutments are just beyond the E-W limits of the model.
    Thank you for the trouble that you have gone to. It will not be in vain.

edited December 1969

Thanks Dorsey, I was going to post a link to that Google Maps image for Skipper. You beat me to it but that's OK. In the meantime, found a couple more images that may help some.

CCC_2011_Cromer-Pier.jpg
    600 x 344 - 39K
    Cromer_Pier_2009_Medium_Web_view.jpg
    480 x 360 - 48K
    c91d3f4.jpg
    415 x 269 - 31K
    edited June 2012

Thanks you guys! Cherokee, I have been staring at your top photo for an hour. It is clear that nowhere do we have steps, but only slopes. Quite wide, too. It all makes an attractive assembly, and I >>> MUST <<< do something with it. Heaven help me, I cannot resist it.<br /> .
    Yet I am puzzled. What on earth is the item ringed? I too have looked at lots of photos, but this is the very first time that I have seen any inkling of that. There is a shadow across it so it might be some sort of decoration set in the road surface. ??? Odd. What do others make of it?

Image_2.jpg
    645 x 468 - 63K
    edited June 2012

Skipper,

Here are a few links to photo collections of Cromer Pier. Hope these help some. Just sit back and take a long look at these photos. Some of them may answer some of your questions.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=cromer+pier&z=e&page=2

you will have to copy and paste this one, DAZ isn't getting the full link...

http://www.fotolibra.com/gallery/search/pro.php?all_words=cromer pier&limit=100&page=1&css_chooser_thumbnail_size=normal&css_chooser_type=thumbnail&css_chooser_help=help_visible

Post edited by Cherokee on
    edited June 2012

Another link. It's a compass!!

"David Ward, Cromer Prospect lead artist, has worked with many people on a permanent installation that celebrates the town's principal lifeboats set in Cromer Pier's forecourt. Twenty-four granite stones, each one representing a lifeboat, have been set along lines looking out to sea, pointing in the direction of rescue missions."

http://www.cromer-pier.com/cromer-pier.asp

Another photo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37660802@N03/5423162456/

Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited June 2012

Oh WOW!!!!! :-)
    What a treasure trove! A cornucopia of riches! Thank you, folks. It is obvious that the place is much loved.
    So that circle is a compass. Odd that I never saw it when modelling before. I show below my original entrance - it does not require much alteration except the inclusion of the compass.

Pier_10.jpg
    798 x 359 - 46K
    edited December 1969

I don't remember it being there when I went. Perhaps it is something recent.

edited June 2012

Skipper,

Here is another photo I found of one of those slopes/ramps that you were looking at above.

And, if you look close at the second photo, you'll see that there are several ramps along that wall.

cromer.jpg
    600 x 393 - 81K
    5003306617_1701912468_z.jpg
    600 x 419 - 57K
    Post edited by Cherokee on
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    I don't remember it being there when I went. Perhaps it is something recent.

Yes, that is my thought too. Thanks, Wendy.
    Cherokee, your photo just about wraps it up. There's even a ramp from one part of the beach to another. Well, I reckon that I have enough information to start modelling. Thanks a bunch, guys.
    Ramps.jpg
    533 x 219 - 22K
    edited June 2012

Here we are - I think that this is how it goes. I'll give it a good rest for now and take another look at it in the morning.

Clifftop.jpg
    799 x 320 - 16K
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260
    edited December 1969

Looking good as usual

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

this is very cool do you have a link or did I just miss it

edited December 1969

Robert - thank you. And you are being encouraging as usual. :cheese:

Jeeperz - a link to what?

edited June 2012

This is the cliff face rendered. Now we have stuff to add and a little tickle at the texture. :coolsmile:
    And to think that I set out just to bend the road! It's all your fault, Cherokee.

Cliff5.jpg
    696 x 292 - 38K
  • jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    Robert - thank you. And you are being encouraging as usual. :cheese:

Jeeperz - a link to what?

I guess I'm confuse... I thought you were making this to give to people

edited December 1969

So I am, but is it alright if I finish it first?